recording bass in the studio??

saxamafone

• Members

Originally posted by saxamafone

do u record using a compressor or record dry and put the compressor on the bass later in production?

I personally try to get the hottest, dry signal possible, then ad the EQ, then compressor for the final touch.

Steve

• Members

thanks for the help

my bass player really isn't happy with his sound. it isn't that bad but something's missing.

we're going bass -> avalon DI -> desk

is it possible to get THAT bass sound while recording it? or does compressor / EQ need to be added later to get the bass to sound real nice?

• Members

we're going bass -> avalon DI -> desk

What bass is he using? I've heard *great* results come from that combination. But the player was an experienced pro using a USA Spector that cost upwards of $3k. If the DI alone isn't working, try splitting the signal. Use the Avalon DI and mic up a cab. Is he happy with his tone when he's playing with his rig? Is there something sitting around the studio he'd like to use?

is it possible to get THAT bass sound while recording it? or does compressor / EQ need to be added later to get the bass to sound real nice?

It's totally possible. If you're starting with "that sound", compression and EQ should, ideally, only need to be used to sit the bass in the mix better. If you're not starting with "that sound", however, I suppose you can compress and EQ away to try and get you close.

If you're not happy with the Avalon as a DI, I'm sure you can find something that'll color the tone more to your liking. (SansAmp, Ampeg SVP?)

• Members

he's using a music man stingray 5

i'm not sure if it's just an eq thing.

there's no shortage of power of bottom end. there doesn't seem to be enough 'punch'

how much bass, mid, treb should we be looking at for a hard rock/ metal type sound?

Nice bass. I don't think that's the issue. Is the Avalon you're using just a DI, or is it the channel strip with pre/DI/comp/EQ? If so, maybe a bit of compression (fast attack, fairly slow release) and some upper mids might help.

My first instinct would be to add an amp in there, though. Whatever rig sounds best with that bass. As for mics, you probably have more practical options than you do on guitars, 'cause you can throw a kick drum mic on there, too. I would probably mic the bass amp the same way I would a guitar amp- close mic with your dynamic of choice, then put a condenser a few feet back. Alternately, you could combine a large dynamic- Beta 52, SM 7, Audix D6, or whatever- with a "normal" dynamic- SM 57, 421, or similar. That might work. I don't like 421s much on guitars; they're too boomy for me, but they might rock on bass. I don't own one, so I've never used one there. People use 'em for kick sometimes, so...

Archived