How fast can you run a mile?

DirtyBird

• Members

Heh, sorry for the OT. But I am actually in a jogging class and I ran my first half mile last July. I'm up to running about 3 miles right now... So I'm new to this whole thing. Still getting more in shape all the time.

But in addition to doing a long-distance 50 minute run (5 miles gets you an A), we're doing a 1 mile run. And I always heard that magic 6 minute mile mark, but we get an A for doing the mile in 7 minutes...

But I was just wondering how I stacked up to the rest of you guys, I just got timed doing the mile in 8 minutes, 19 seconds. As far as I can tell, that's not great, but it's not too shabby either. Just wondered how I compared. :)

Edit: Argh, I accidentally pressed enter before I was done with the poll. And now only mods can delete posts or change polls.

This is {censored}ing stupid. :rolleyes:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I ran track once upon a time about 8 years back. I could break the 5 min barrier but never any faster than 4:57 and I actually puked my guts out after that one. I ran comfortably around 5:15. Last time I ran I came in around 6 mins. Which actually surprised me as I had not ran much in the last few years and I am about 40 pounds heavier than I was in high school.

• Members

Originally posted by Hotcakes

6:19 was my last time.

Nothing impressive, but I'm gettin' faster.

that exactly what I got in high school. The first time i did it in 10th grade I got 7:04 then as in 11th I got 6:19 because I got a lot leaner. That was ever before I started running. I've been running a lot since then and could definitly get under 6.

• Members
Originally posted by SteveVHT

It depends on how many cigarettes and beers I stop for...

But I'd say about 6.....

hours

:D

LOL!!!!! same here!!!! truth be told though that I ran consistent 5 minute miles in HS, College and for a bunch of years afterwards... even ran 5 miles in 26:02 once. Unfortunately, that was then.....

• Members
Originally posted by DirtyBird

Heh, sorry for the OT. But I am actually in a jogging class and I ran my first half mile last July. I'm up to running about 3 miles right now... So I'm new to this whole thing. Still getting more in shape all the time.

But in addition to doing a long-distance 50 minute run (5 miles gets you an A), we're doing a 1 mile run. And I always heard that magic 6 minute mile mark, but we get an A for doing the mile in 7 minutes...

But I was just wondering how I stacked up to the rest of you guys, I just got timed doing the mile in 8 minutes, 19 seconds. As far as I can tell, that's not great, but it's not too shabby either. Just wondered how I compared.
:)

Edit: Argh, I accidentally pressed enter before I was done with the poll. And now only mods can delete posts or change polls.

This is {censored}ing stupid.
:rolleyes:

If you are only running 1 mile that is slow. If you are running 3-5 then that is a good pace.

• Members

We have to run a mile and 1/2 every year for the Air Force (as well as # of pushups/crunches in a minute and waist measurment) and we just had our yearly test. I ran it in around 12:00. I hate running. I played soccer my whole life and did alot of sprint-stop, sprint-stop. I was always one of the fastest kids in my school but the long run stuff kills me. I just ran 2 miles about a half hour ago. I always feel good after I run.

Archived