Vox AD30VT / AD50VT / AD100VT

ThomasH

• Members

Here is the deal. I'm thinking about getting one of these amps. All the recordings I have heard of these amps sound pretty impressive. I have narrowed it down to the three models mentioned in the topic. I want the abillity to adjust the output wattage on the back of the amp so the AD15VT is out.

I have searched through the threads about this line of amps, but I'm looking for opinions regarding the pros and cons of each model. I AM going to try to test all three models in a music store if possible. Still, i would like some input from all you knowledgeable HC users. :)

Here are my thoughts regarding the three different models.

AD30VT: 30 watts is probably enough for my use. I would like to be able to use it live, but I don't mind miking it up if nescessarry. In other words, it's probably powerful enough for my use. It's also a light amp (12 kg ~= 26 pounds) which is plus in my book.

AD50VT: This amp benefits from a 12 inch Celestion speaker which I assume will be of better quality than the 10 inch Vox speaker in the AD30VT. It also has a speaker out on the back of the amp, but I problably won't be using that. This amp is somewhat heavier than the AD30VT (20 kg ~= 44 pounds), but still managable I guess.

AD100VT: Two 12 inch speakers, but the Vox site doesn't specify if they are Celestions or not (http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/valvetronix/ad15vtad30vt.htm). The main attraction for me here is the effect loop. I use a POD XT which I like a lot for recording. The effect loop would enable me to connect the POD XT to the effect return and just use the Vox as a poweramp. Maybe the amp sounds so good that I won't bother and just use the XT for effects - but I'd like to have the option. Unfortunately this amp is quite heavy (29 kg ~= 64 pounds). Off course I will be able to carry it, but I'm afraid lugging this thing around would become a royal pain in the ass.

What do you guys think? Is the AD100VT's extra flexibilty worth the extra dough, and getting hernia from carrying it around? Are the speakers of the AD100VT inferior to the Celestion in the AD50VT so I shouldn't even bother? If I decide I don't need the effect loop is it worth getting the AD50VT over the AD30VT for the speaker?

My dilemma is that I can see pros and cons for each amp. What is your take on these choices?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by musicdog400

I borrowed my friend's ADV15 for a week and thought it was ok. I found it to be a bit bass heavy overall.

You might listen for this when testing. If it is an issue, the effects loop would let you fix it.

I have a tonelab and like it.

I agree, it is pretty bass heavy (the 15w, only used that one) I run my keeley DS-1 in front of it with the tone up and it sounds great.

Sounds good without, the cleans are really really nice :)

• Members

Originally posted by Sorted69

I agree, it is pretty bass heavy (the 15w, only used that one) I run my keeley DS-1 in front of it with the tone up and it sounds great.

Sounds good without, the cleans are really really nice
:)

Nice. It's primarily the cleans I'm getting it for. The cleans and slight breakup.

• Members

I can't say enough bad things about the AD30VT I had. It was awful. On the other hand, I really like the Tonelab SE I have, so Vox is capable of producing great modelling sounds. The 50 and smaller are trimmed down versions of the full-blown modeller, and at least in my experience, don't sound anywhere near as good. Since the 60 and up have the same circuitry as the Tonelab, I'd look at one of the bigger ones.

Some people really love the 30, and others like me really hated it. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground with that one.

• Members

Originally posted by ThomasH

Didn't your AD30VT have a bunch of issues? Reliability, noise etc?

That is off course another thing to take into account. The reliability of the unit.

Didn't have any reliability issues. Just really nasty distortion and horrible digital artifiacts instead of the sustain you'd get from a normal amp.

• Members

Not sure about the speakers, I would assume they are the same as the AD50 though... just two of them. :cool:

The AD100 does have an effects loop though whereas the others do not. Don't know if that's important to you, but it's something to consider if it is.

Matt

• Members

I fell in love with my AD120vt . Bought the VC-12 pedal board to go with it . I'm totally satisfied with my sound . The versatility of the amps are incredible . I have the power selection of 2 , 15 , 30 or 60 watts per channel . The speakers are celestions . I came from using Line6 . To me there is no comparison . The models ( to my ears anyway ) replicate the true tones a lot closer than any Line6 I have ever heard . The key is the way they set the power amp section using the tubes . Gotta have those tubes somewhere in the mix to warm things up . I used to love my old late 80's Marshall Valve State . But Marshall just used the tube for the preamp section . With obviously a Solid State power amp . Then the digital age finally rolled around for guitars . A lot of metal players are realizing now that running a digital preamp ( modeler ) through a all tube power amp . Produces some sick tones .

Vox uses the 2 tubes in thier amps for the power section . I get any tone I want with thing I swear . Matter of fact my buddy brought over his Marshall TSL 122 couple of weeks ago ( which is all tube ) And was amazed by my amp ( actually I think he was pissed ) he paid 2100.00 and I paid with the pedal board 830.00 .

The vox was used 600.00 and 230. for the pedal board . My amp sounded alot more alive . I showed him how I could match his exact tone in about 10 seconds . And then add high quality effects all with a touch of my toe .His Marshall couldn't do that .

Valvetronix rules .

• Members

I downsized from an AD120VTX to the AD50VT. Since it has built in effects I didn't bother with looking at the 100 for its effects loop. I think the AD50VT is the way to go and it's combo speaker really sounds great! No need for an upgrade. With the attenuator on the back to 3 o'clock it can handle live drums so I don't know if the 30 could cut it.

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

Didn't have any reliability issues. Just really nasty distortion and horrible digital artifiacts instead of the sustain you'd get from a normal amp.

That's right. I have read so many posts about these amps, that I have forgotten who was who. But thanks for pointing your problems with the unit out. I will definately be checking the amps out for these kinds of artifacts when I try them in the store.

Thank you to the rest of you for chiming in. You are all giving me valuable info. I haven't decided anything yet so if anyone else have an opinion on these amps, I would appreciate your input as well.

• Members

I had an AD30VT for several months and really liked the amp overall. The biggest fault with the amp was the speaker...it really had to go...really made the high gain models very buzzy and spikey. I put an Eminence RedCoat Ramrod in mine and it was a huge improvement. In fact, I really liked it. The only reason I sold it was someone offered to buy it from me for nearly what I paid for it and I decided to use the cash to buy a handbuilt low power tube amp.

My only other complaint with the cheaper Valvetronix amps is that the line-out is BEFORE the little Valve Reactor circuit, whereas the pricier models and Tonelabs have the line out AFTER the Valve reactor circuit, so I think you get better direct tones with those than the cheaper ones. But if you plan to use it mostly live, that's not an issue.

With the Ramrod I got excellent tones out of all the Fender, Vox, Marshall and Soldano models.

Never had any reliability issues with mine, and the guy who bought it from me is a friend and has had no issues...and I purchased it about 1 1/2 year ago. I bought it mostly as a practice amp and found the variable output power very useful, but I think it would have been loud enough for live use...especially if mic'd.

While I prefer a genuine tube amp to modellers anyday, I've owned and borrowed a number of different ones and I feel that Valvetronix is one of the best out there.

• Members
Originally posted by Surfcaster

I had an AD30VT for several months and really liked the amp overall. The biggest fault with the amp was the speaker...it really had to go...really made the high gain models very buzzy and spikey. I put an Eminence RedCoat Ramrod in mine and it was a huge improvement. In fact, I really liked it. The only reason I sold it was someone offered to buy it from me for nearly what I paid for it and I decided to use the cash to buy a handbuilt low power tube amp.

My only other complaint with the cheaper Valvetronix amps is that the line-out is BEFORE the little Valve Reactor circuit, whereas the pricier models and Tonelabs have the line out AFTER the Valve reactor circuit, so I think you get better direct tones with those than the cheaper ones. But if you plan to use it mostly live, that's not an issue.

With the Ramrod I got excellent tones out of all the Fender, Vox, Marshall and Soldano models.

Never had any reliability issues with mine, and the guy who bought it from me is a friend and has had no issues...and I purchased it about 1 1/2 year ago. I bought it mostly as a practice amp and found the variable output power very useful, but I think it would have been loud enough for live use...especially if mic'd.

While I prefer a genuine tube amp to modellers anyday, I've owned and borrowed a number of different ones and I feel that Valvetronix is one of the best out there.

Ya,I've run mine through a 4x10 onstage and it is definitely loud enough. And yes,the line-out sucks. I wish it was usable.

• Members

Originally posted by Surfcaster

I didn't know that. I guess no direct recording using the 30 or the 50. I guess it's the same for all the ADVT amps, right? Is it nescessary to go to the ADVTX series to get a proper line out? If so, I think I will stick with the ADVT series and rely on my XT for direct recording.

• Members

I own the AD15VT which I use for playing in church every week. It stays setup there all the time cause I'm too lazy to carry an amp back and forth. The Vox amps are great. For the minimal price difference, I would go up to the 50 to get the 12" speaker. The only reason I went with the 15 is because I was looking to spend the least amount I could for a good sounding, non-tube amp to leave there all the time. I didn't want to leave something more expensive set up all the time and, with the built in effects and 3 channels, I don't have to use any pedals.

• Members

I'm pretty sure the VT and VTX's only difference is that the VTX is a closed back combo and the VT is a open back . Oh and the VTX has Neo Dog Celestions . THe VT just has regular Vox celestions .

And yes in the lower power models I've heard that recording direct bypasses the " Special Circuit "

I've had my Ad120VT plugged direct into a PA "through the board of course" in stereo . And was very impressed with the result . Another cool thing is the line outs have a volume/level knob so can contol the amount of feed .

• Members

Originally posted by anti-flag193

I use it as a practice amp and it's great for that. I wouldn't dream of using it at band practice or live. The cleans are decent and the distortions are ok at low volumes but when you turn up the volume a little, it farts out real bad.

May I ask you which model you have?

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

WOW! How loud do you practice? Did you ever try it with an extension cab?

no, it doesn't have an extension cab outlet. and we play loud, but this isn't really that loud of an amp and even if it was it sounds like {censored} at high volumes anyway.

Archived