Jump to content

Laney amp I'm thinking of buying..


Foofooz

Recommended Posts

  • Members

The amp is a 100watt Laney tube head, 2 cabs rated at 400 watts each, and the guy is throwing in a noise reduction unit and a effects rack with it. I guess he's getting out of playing permenantly, because he offered to chip in his RR5 for a extra 400$

The amp is $600 for all I've listed above except the guitar. I know the deal on the guitar is great, but I can't afford to spend $1000.

 

Do you guys think this is a good deal?

I'm pretty sure it's a great deal, but need the advice of the forumites. I need something to be heard over a drummer, and this will be my first serious amp.

This will be my upgrade from a little Peavey Rage. yeah, that's a big difference between the two amps, but if it's a good deal I don't want to pass it up. I also no that the output of this amp is probably more did i need, but is a over abundance a bad thing?=)

I'm going to this guys house tomorrow to play it, I need to find out the exact model number and if he's gigged with it.

Thanks,

The Foofooz

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

yeah, that's definately something i need to find out when i go to play it.
I was so excited on the phone i forgot to ask.
The only other info he gave to me was that it was a older head, and that he had hung on to it for the sound.
It's older than 1998 at least, because that's when he bought one of the cabs.
If i buy it i'm probably going to sell one of the cabs to make back a little of the money i spent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I think it may be a Pro Tube 100.

If it is, Its your choice. But those Laney heads arent nearly as well known for their quality as the newer GH and VH series.

If it's a Pro tube 100 I personally would pass on it, especially if it is an AOR series. I hear those are bad news.

Theres no reason for you to have 2 412 cabs. Thats pretty rediculous, you wont even get the juice out of ONE if you're just jamming with your friends, nevermind 2!!!

The laney cabs are known to be of not so praisable quality also...

I dont mean to be a bearer of bad news, I hope its a GH100L!! those are amazing.

Im just being realistic... a pro tube amp and cabs for 600... thats mediocre my many standards, those early laney amps were considered "budget" tube gear.

If you have 600 bucks and you want that "laney" sound. Get a JCM800 combo!!! 600 is more than enough for one, and they are considered by a lot of people to be better than the heads!

I'm the asshole on this board, but I also feel someone needs to warn you of a bad or uninformed buy because you asked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Well, I was thinking about buying the amp since the guy is local. Wouldn't have to pay shipping or handling.=)
I'm going to his house to play it tonight, I'll find out more info.

Yeah, I agree, a full stack is too much for me, that why I said in my second post I would sale one cab to make back some money.=)

I'll find out all the info tonight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Originally posted by Robs Rockin Out

I realize that that is a gigantic asshole-like post. If you like the tone, get the amp :-).


I just don't want to praise an amp that I've heard so many negative things about. But, if its a GH100L... id smack you if you didnt buy it for 600$
:p




Rob,

Please don't feel bad. Some people look at it as raining on the parade/don't bring me down. But if you are going to ask a question, or present aclip or whatever, you should be willing to hear what people have to say.

I think it's important to consider all aspects, pro and con.

Good work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I would check it out.
even if it is the Laney AOR pro tube 100.

I had one of those and LOVED it.
I never heard {censored} on it as far as failing or problems.
It is definately the Hot rodded marshall.
Don't even need to run a boost or anything on it.
Maybe some OD.
Nu Metal would be harder

Read the reviews on it. the 50wt also.

Reliability was never and issue from what I had read here.

The ONLY reason I sold it was I wanted a 3 channel amp then I went for the JSX.

Just check it out and do your homework on the reviews here.
Make sure it sounds like what you want when you play it.

If it is a GL or VH those are supposed to be killer also.
Plus you can change speakers in cabs.

Either way it the DEAL sounds good for $1000.
I got $325 for my head on e-bay.
Even if you sell the head because you don't like it and a cab because you don't need it.
The 600+ you would get for them you could go buy something else and still have a cab and RR5.

The RR5 is $1000 new.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Originally posted by 17 Tubes




Rob,


Please don't feel bad. Some people look at it as raining on the parade/don't bring me down. But if you are going to ask a question, or present aclip or whatever, you should be willing to hear what people have to say.


I think it's important to consider all aspects, pro and con.


Good work.



Thanks man,

I'm new and don't want to be thought of as an ass right off the bat. But I don't want to sound stupid by praising something I normally wouldn't.

Thank you for your understanding Mr Tubes :):)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Yeah, I'm aware of the deal on the RR5. But, I need a nice amp before another guitar. The RR5 would be one heck of a upgrade from my Ibanez Jet King, but I feel the Jet King is pretty solid for the money. I'm not sure if he would let the guitar go seperate or if he would only sale it as a package. Either way, I can only afford buying one, not both.=(

Thanks guys for the info. None of you seemed like ass holes in any way.=) It is much better to give the pros AND cons of something, but not in a sensationalist manner.
Only a couple of hours till I bust out of school and go to his house.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I currently gig with a Pro Tube lead (it is not an AOR head) and it sounds great. It is old (probably made in the 80's) and it is my only amp and my main gigging amp. I don't use a backup and have never had an issue with it. To me, it sounds like a JCM800 only it is much cheaper (I got mine for 350.00). True, it is a primitive beast, but it sounds great and it is quite loud. I don't think you have anything to worry about with Laney quality.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Yes, I haven't found ANYTHING about it. No reviews, nothing.
I know it came with a footswitch, 2 channels, clean and overdrive.
The man described the overdrive channel as too much, he could barely hear the notes over the crunch. I don't know if he had it set up right or not, his high, mids, and lows. He is offering it to me for 500 now, because he can't find the footswitch and the head is missing some knobs.(which shouldn't be too hard to replace i think.) I didn't have the chance to go to his house today because of road constructions and detours.

The closest thing I have found to match the description of the head is the
Laney AOR 50 Series II Head, but this is 50 watts, the 8100 Series 2 amp is 100w.

Anybody with ideas or suggestions about what this amp could be?
I can't find any reviews of it on harmonycentral.com.
I haven't a clue, unless this thing is old as dirt..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by Robs Rockin Out

I think it may be a Pro Tube 100.


If it's a Pro tube 100 I personally would pass on it, especially if it is an AOR series. I hear those are bad news.


...those early laney amps were considered "budget" tube gear.


I'm the asshole on this board, but I also feel someone needs to warn you of a bad or uninformed buy because you asked.

 

 

So you're "warning" him about an amp you've never played or owned? Wow, you must be THE authority to go to when seeking advice. I gig an AOR Pro Tube Lead 50 head into a Peavey 4x12 with G12K-85s and I'll wipe the floor with any JCM800 and have volume left to spare. Guess Iommi could only afford those "budget" amps with Black Sabbath too.

Steering someone away from a great deal based on "what you've heard" is no advice at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by FLYING V 83



So you're "warning" him about an amp you've never played or owned? Wow, you must be THE authority to go to when seeking advice. I gig an AOR Pro Tube Lead 50 head into a Peavey 4x12 with G12K-85s and I'll wipe the floor with any JCM800 and have volume left to spare. Guess Iommi could only afford those "budget" amps with Black Sabbath too.

Steering someone away from a great deal based on "what you've heard" is no advice at all.

 

 

+1

 

I just picked one of those up myself. I'm retiring my 2204.

 

Is yours the 8 knob version?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

If it is the 50wt and you play it and like it then go for it.
50w would be plenty loud enough.

You can see from the other post people that play the AOR Laney stuff how they speak of them. They are comparing them to Marshall JCM800 which now cost 3x as much.

Plus most of those replies have been from these guys giging with them pretty consistantly it sounds. Not just bedroom playing.
that says something if people are giging with them to me.

If you read most of the Laney reviews most of their amps get pretty good reviews.

Try it out see. Just don't go play it for 5 minutes.
Take your time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Nah, I had a long talk with him today...
He knows the true value of his equipment, but has spent about a year listing the equipment with no good offers. He finally lowered it this much.
The amp he's selling to me for around 500-600 dollars he originally was trying to sale it for $1100.
I think maybe what I thought was a 8 was a VH or GH. I hope. SO, maybe it is a VH or GH model, which would make sense since I was looking at some and they have close specs with the head he's selling.

Yeah, being the honest person I am, I told him he was truly getting raped for letting that guitar go at that price.

You want to know something else?

Its a RR1, not a RR5, so its the most exspensive Randy Rhoads model and runs about 1900 brand new. He was wanting to sale it to me for 400 as a package.

Unfortunately, I neither have the money to buy it, and he has no desire to sale it over the internet for a decent price, so it's probably going to reside with him for a long time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Originally posted by TOStudent

I would check it out.

even if it is the Laney AOR pro tube 100.


I had one of those and LOVED it.

I never heard {censored} on it as far as failing or problems.



I had a Laney Pro Tube AOR 100 head as well and didn't have any problems, BUT they were well known for blowing up, I think it had to do with the pop rivet grounding :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Originally posted by Foofooz

Nah, I had a long talk with him today...

He knows the true value of his equipment, but has spent about a year listing the equipment with no good offers. He finally lowered it this much.

The amp he's selling to me for around 500-600 dollars he originally was trying to sale it for $1100.

I think maybe what I thought was a 8 was a VH or GH. I hope. SO, maybe it is a VH or GH model, which would make sense since I was looking at some and they have close specs with the head he's selling.


Yeah, being the honest person I am, I told him he was truly getting raped for letting that guitar go at that price.


You want to know something else?


Its a RR1, not a RR5, so its the most exspensive Randy Rhoads model and runs about 1900 brand new. He was wanting to sale it to me for 400 as a package.


Unfortunately, I neither have the money to buy it, and he has no desire to sale it over the internet for a decent price, so it's probably going to reside with him for a long time.




:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: you're passing that up!!!??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...