OT: Need advice on musical direction....

guitarist17

• Members

Ever since I picked up the guitar at 12 years old( I'm 19 now), Ive always been into harder types of music, hardcore ska and punk in my early days, to the heaviest of death metal in the last 2-3 years. But it seems my musical taste is taking a different direction, and its kind of scaring me actually lol.

Hell, I still listen to metal when i workout, but lately, I haven't been listening to it as much. Believe it or not, I love country guitar tones, I think they are some of the most organic tones in music. I love blues and jazz also, and want to learn to play the banjo. I haven't played real metal in a few months now on my guitar, just don't have a real desire to. My life has been changing lately. Getting ready to work with the fire department, college, new girlfriend, new friends, things are just generally changing in my life ,and it seems as if my musical taste is one of them. And I had always thought that metal would be the one thing that doesn't change in my life, it would be my constant, my saneness. But it isnt anymore.... I still love it to death, but I have no desire at the moment to write songs of the metal genre.

As I mentioned earlier, i find myself trying to dab into country, and southern rock and jazz. Although I'm nowhere near as good at these styles as I am at metal. I guess I'm just looking for something new? So what do I do? my rig will not work at all for what I want to learn to play. You wouldn't believe how much its crossed my mind to get a fender super reverb 4x10 and a nice tele.Basically, I've thought about just selling my rig and starting over. But I'm afraid I would get rather bored with that setup really quick, and then I won't have the high gain rip your head off tone when I want it/if I want it. Is a nice modeling amp the answer? I'm so confused as I write this. Does this happen to everyone? Any words of advice are appreciated, thanks

Chris

• Members

Just go wherever your mind takes you. I'm in a hardcore band as well and love hardcore but just as much as I love hardcore, I love blues, rock and alternative stuff. My favorite bands/artists at the moment are Saves the Day, Radiohead, SRV, and 100 demons. I get into different moods where I'll listen to more mellow stuff for a few weeks (or months), then the next I'll listen to only hardcore. Maybe that's what's happening to you.

• Members

First you want a truck..Then country music...You need a cap...And a dawg. dude. Oviedo is taking you over.

But you have to check out a band called mountain: They have a twang and can kick some serious ass. Check out Nantucket Sleighride

• Members

I've been gassin for a banjo for a long time. There's somthing about dueling banjos that gets my heartbeat going. Meanwhile, I still find the most enjoyment out of metal music. It trades off with classical/baroque music every few days though.

• Members

Originally posted by thefyn

First you want a truck..Then country music...You need a cap...And a dawg. dude. Oviedo is taking you over.

But you have to check out a band called mountain: They have a twang and can kick some serious ass. Check out Nantucket Sleighride

mississippi queeeeeeeen yeahhhhhhhhh

• Members

I kinda had the same experience.

I was into metal and ONLY metal for awhile, and now I've kind of mellowed out into some hard rock/bluesy stuff, and I find that the riffs I wrote for metal were always forced and always came out more rock-oriented anyway.

Also, out of my top 5 bands, 3-4 are metal bands. I just dont like a LOT of metal.

But I still love me some headbangin' music. :cool:

• Members
Originally posted by cloudnine

I kinda had the same experience.

I was into metal and ONLY metal for awhile, and now I've kind of mellowed out into some hard rock/bluesy stuff, and I find that the riffs I wrote for metal were always forced and always came out more rock-oriented anyway.

Also, out of my top 5 bands, 3-4 are metal bands. I just dont like a LOT of metal.

But I still love me some headbangin' music.
:cool:

i used to be like mr pantera, death metal vulture ass raping metal opera dude. Now a days i like southern rock. I still listen to metal, but playing it has ogtten rather boring for me personally. Oh well, everyweek i have a new musical taste.

• Members

i'd say atleast give it some time before you sell of all your gear...honestly, pick up a decent modeling combo to toy with

at heart, i'm a metal head thru and thru...but after years of doing it, sometimes it does wear on me...i'll find myself wanting to play/hear something different...but i always come back to it

i've studied jazz, blues, even some classical and country myself...i'm not great at any of them, but it's helped me to be more of a well rounded player...and a breath of fresh air is always good

• Members

..I watched Larry Carlton play thru a Marshall 1/2 stack
( 100 watt PTP head..early 70's) wi/ 4x12 underneath...

you can turn that beast up and play slayer if you wanted to...
but you DONT have to...keep your stuff..and just find some nice mellow
settings on it..work out what ever you have in you..and keep the amp..

simple huh.?

• Members

Take it from someone twice your age, don't sell your gear! Buy an additional rig but keep the one you have. I have my Slingerland drums and Zildgen cymbals from when I was 16, my Fender Jazz Percission from when I was 23, and a bunch of pedals I had from that time. I've I been a full time guitarist for the last 18 years and have sold a bunch of gear including Marshall, Ampeg, and Fender amps, a Fender Strat, and a bunch of pedals.

If there's one thing I cherish to this day it's the gear I've had for years.

If there's one thing I regret it's the few pieces gear I loved and let go.

• Members

i appreciate the input guys....It's nice to get some real advice on here for once :D...and to whoever said that broadening can do nothing but help you is exactly right. and to the person that said a breath of fresh air and becoming a more rounded player is good, is definetly right also. I think that may be mostly what its about: becoming a more well rounded player. I don't think I'll sell my gear, but I have like zero dollars to spend on gear at the moment, I'm flat broke :(.

Chris

• Members

Im going the same way. Once i lived for Metal, although im floating in a rock/blues area now, i think its about time i bought a jazz box and some slippers. Im really digging Jazz!

Finding it hard as hell to figure out and play, could do with knowing the theory behind the chords and stuff i guess!

Archived