Line 6 Uber model vs. the real thing.

Panopticon

• Members

personally I was not able to tweak l6 uber model to what I remember about playing real one (with dedicated cab). Maybe that has to do with some post EQ ... but I could not figure it out. Actually I think I got closer to Uber with L6 Big Bottom model :D

• Members

Originally posted by EdgySwingsetAcid

Ive played the Line 6 model, so that is the closest I have come. has anyone played both? How much difference is there?

Thanks,

Andrew

The Line 6 model sounds great, but it's not in the ballpark in sound, but particularly feel. I played sah5150's POD XP Pro through a VHT power amp into a G12H-30 cab, and dialed it in as close as I could get it, but no cigar.

Like I said though, through that setup, it was a pretty cool high gain sound, nonetheless.

• Members

Originally posted by Bob Savage

The Line 6 model sounds great, but it's not in the ballpark in sound, but particularly feel. I played sah5150's POD XP Pro through a VHT power amp into a G12H-30 cab, and dialed it in as close as I could get it, but no cigar.

Like I said though, through that setup, it was a pretty cool high gain sound, nonetheless.

Bob speak's the truth and those were my finding's as well but as he say's it is a good sounding Model it just does not sound or feel like an Uber.

Derek

• Members

definetly doesn't sound like the uber..

a problem with some of the line 6 models (if not most)...

while you can tweak them (painstakingly, mind you) to sound decent for certain applications, very rarely do they sound like the amps they're supposed to model...at least, not without alotta post eq and compression, fx, etc, etc....

• Members

None of those amp models actually sound like the real amp, well at least none of the high gain stuff. You can't replicate a $3000 hand built high gain tube amp with a $200 bean shaped piece of plastic. I'm not saying the Line 6 stuff doesn't sound good, but none of those models sound like the real amps IMO.

• Members

Some of the amp models sound closer than others, but they are an approximation of the sound. One thing I do think is neat about the Line6 Uber is that they do the funky presence control on it.
A tricky engineer or really good home recorder can get stellar results with the modelling stuff, but for one on one stuff, the modelling is usually going to fall just a bit short of the 'real deal'.

Pete

• Members

On the HD147 the uber model sounds badass but it doesn't have the openness or the focused shake your nuts low end the uber does. I think the HD147 is a lot better than the POD as far as modeling goes but as said before most of the models don't do a great job of replicating the amps but sound great on their own if you forget it's supposed to be a model. I agree the Recto model is probably the closest and easily the best I have heard.

• Members

I think Line6 should just come up with more of their own models or just call them that.

I find that the amp models don't sound like the real thing all the time....however there is enough good tone in the PODXT that each of the models sounds good on it's own.

• Members
Originally posted by Megadeth7684

None of those amp models actually sound like the real amp, well at least none of the high gain stuff. You can't replicate a $3000 hand built high gain tube amp with a $200 bean shaped piece of plastic. I'm not saying the Line 6 stuff doesn't sound good, but none of those models sound like the real amps IMO.

What if it were an egg shaped piece of plastic, would that work?;)

• Members

The HD147 is the amp that I played and I thought it sounded great. I just don't want to get an Uber and hate it, IF it's alot different.

I had my second HD-147 for a short time.......until I played it with my band one night. Now I had my first model for over a year and loved that amp......but I wasn't in a band at that time. So one night when my RM 100 was acting funny (bad preamp tube found out later) I hooked up the HD-147 thru 3 cabs and let it rip with the band. I hate to say this but the people who claim the amp sounds like a can of bees in a mix were right.....and again I was a long time proponent of modellers........just didn't cut it for me with my band......that's my experience at least......a real Uber would decimate an HD in a mix.........IMHO of course.....;)

• Members

Originally posted by Digital Jams

If you have played a Uber and are thinking of getting an HD-147 as a cheaper way you will be disappointed.

The HD-147 rocks for what it is, great amp with a boatload of tones. Use the models as a tone selector and you will not be disappointed.

I havent. I have played the HD147 in hopes of getting a good idea about the Uber, which I have never played.

• Members
Originally posted by shreder75

definetly doesn't sound like the uber..

a problem with some of the line 6 models (if not most)...

very rarely do they sound like the amps they're supposed to model...

In that case, is there an amp that DOES sound like the Line 6 Uber model? Because it is totally BAD ASS. :cool: Seriously, I could play that thing all day.

I've heard claim that the 5150 model can be A/Bed to a real one to very good effect. Overall, they seem to sound good enough and ball park enough that you know when to pick them/try them as a starting point for some sound you're going after.

Some are limited by the modeling process/controls. For example, some of these amps like the Diezels and Engl have two, three, four channels, deep switches, contours knobs, mid scoop push/pull pots, etc. The Line 6 guys have to make some sort of pick as to what they are going to model and what they are going to leave set at a specific value.

I know a lot of people say "Hey, if they sound good, just make them all "originals" and don't even mention the other brands, it just creates confusion". Well for better or worse, I think it's a smart marketing move and bet their sales would plummet if they went that route. They are getting ball park on some of this stuff and cool sounds in general and the price is right, that's for sure. ;)

• Members

I havent. I have played the HD147 in hopes of getting a good idea about the Uber, which I have never played.

Bob's post is the one you have to look at then since he owns a Uber and has messed with a Line 6 product. He is right about one thing, the feel is not there.

• Members

Originally posted by Digital Jams

I think Vlad stated that with the new model pack the XTC was scary close, I would have to have him chime in to verify though.

I enjoy the Line 6 models myself, well and Warren's SLO patch.

Very close to my ears anyway....

Warren made a clip a while back and it had all the attributes of my XTC Classic when recorded. It may not be identical when you're playing it, but it's very damn close when recorded.

• Members

Originally posted by vlad

Very close to my ears anyway....

Warren made a clip a while back and it had all the attributes of my XTC Classic when recorded. It may not be identical when you're playing it, but it's very damn close when recorded.

Thanks Vlad, I thought I remembered that you thought it was close.

• Members
Originally posted by shred-o-holic

Guys like Pete (Stratotone) really have some great live clips of the modellers though.......so go figure...
:)

Thanks man, but I'll be the first to concede the feel isn't the same. I think I can fool most people if they hear my amp in a band context or in a mix, but if they are playing the Vetta and using a patch for an amp they own... 9 times out of 10 they are going to prefer their 'real' amp.

Where the Vetta really shines is in the ability to do really weird things - I can run two different amps in stereo, or blend a dirty and clean amp - and 'morph' between the two, or run all my clean amps through an open back 2x12 and my overdrive amps through a sealed 4x12, etc... there are also several 'original' amps on the Vetta too.

Pete

Archived