my amp was smoking :(

acel_leca

• Members

It's a marshall 1987x w/h the fx loop btw.

It was smoking. I didn't notice that but a friend told me he saw the smoke from my amp.

I just noticed that the volume is not as loud as before.

I just had the amp retubes and rebiased (im using JJ tubes btw).

What do you guys think the problem is? :(

The amp is working.. it's just the sound is weakkk...

and one thing.. is it normal if the brand mark on the tubes turn to grey color? before it was E34L (in red) now in grey.

Is it normal?

Thanks a lot guys

• Members

Originally posted by acel_leca

It's a marshall 1987x w/h the fx loop btw.

It was smoking. I didn't notice that but a friend told me he saw the smoke from my amp.

I just noticed that the volume is not as loud as before.

I just had the amp retubes and rebiased (im using JJ tubes btw).

What do you guys think the problem is?
:(
The amp is working.. it's just the sound is weakkk...

and one thing.. is it normal if the brand mark on the tubes turn to grey color? before it was E34L (in red) now in grey.

Is it normal?

Thanks a lot guys

im sure you can get it fixed but be prepared to pay

• Members

I experienced the same thing after a tube change and re-bias. It turned out, the input jack on the speaker cab had burned up. There is a small circuit board inside the had melted. After replacing the jack and re-biasing the tubes again, it's been fine since.

• Members

My guess is that a resistor with too low a wattage was used in the design....that started smoking. Could be wrong, but that would be the first thing to look for! Then next, Caps that couldn't handle the voltage, etc...

Give it a good eye-{censored}ing and you'll be surprised.

rk

• Members

Originally posted by acel_leca

thanks a lot guys. I just brought it to a local tech... anyone wanna share their smoking amp experience?
:p

just pray the tech is reputable.

even here in southern cali, there are some "amp repair centers" that are the equivalent of tossing your amp off a cliff and giving them the pin number to your atm card.

stoned apes with soldering irons.

• Members

If your amp was smoking, then you serioulsy need to do something about it!! It is most likely a grounding problem. Once your amp has started smoking it can be hard to get it to stop.

As it is most likely a grounding problem, you could simply ground your amp for a month, and take away all of its gigging privaleges.

Another option is to force it too smoke so much that It will get so sick that it will never start to smoke again.

These are some classic solutions....

Okay, but seriously, If there was a volume loss it must have been something to do with your poweramp section. It could be that one tube went bad and now you are only amplifying only the postive or negatve half of your signal.

Archived