To Voodoo Or Not To Voodoo

carlosjose

• Members

Hello I have been on these for a long time I can't seem to make up my mind. I have a Marshall TSL 100 and I comepletely LOVE IT. But from the reviews I read and the sounds clips I heard on the site Trace can make this a beast amazing cleans and amazing clear heavy distortion. But theres a problem I read alot of amazing reviews here in harmony central but only 1 bad one, but the bad one made me think alot. Heres the link for the pics and the story. To me it sounds like BULL{censored} but you never know. I decided to post here instead of an uncomstable situation by calling Trace. Please help. Thanks :D

Heres The Link

http://www.frankencat.com/voodoo

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can'r seem to access your C drive.....LOL

But I can definitely say that Trace kicks serious ass, and has some of the best customer service out there.

Just give him a call.... He is always willing to help out.

He's a great guy that knows what he's doing....

Steve

• Members

Call him and tell him what you are after tonewise with the amp. If he can't do it, he'll be the first to tell you. The guy is top notch. And I'm sure everyone else will chime in that you cannot beat his customer service.

• Members

Originally posted by carlosjose

Hello I have been on these for a long time I can't seem to make up my mind. I have a Marshall TSL 100 and I comepletely LOVE IT. But from the reviews I read and the sounds clips I heard on the site Trace can make this a beast amazing cleans and amazing clear heavy distortion. But theres a problem I read alot of amazing reviews here in harmony central but only 1 bad one, but the bad one made me think alot. Heres the link for the pics and the story. To me it sounds like BULL{censored} but you never know. I decided to post here instead of an uncomstable situation by calling Trace. Please help. Thanks
:D

Heres The Link

file:///c:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Carlos%20Jose%20Esteves/My%20Documents/Amps/Work%20Performed%20By%20Voodoo%20Amps.htm

What They said. Call him. He'll tell you if it's not what you're looking for.

By the way,....What does "Uncomstable" mean? It sounds kinky.

• Members

other than on the HC boards, it may not get the same selling price after its modded - Trace, however, is a great guy and truly wants to make you happy with whatever he does for you - top notch customer service - chances are, tonewise, you won't regret getting it modded at voodoo - top notch quality work;)

• Members

Tell me what you guys think of the bad review.
:confused:

file:///c:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Carlos%20Jose%20Esteves/My%20Documents/Amps/Work%20Performed%20By%20Voodoo%20Amps.htm

We can't access a file on your hard drive from an internet forum! Just copy and paste the text in here.

• Members

A few TSL owners have posted negative reviews of their amp after installing the wrong(tonewise)output tranny from Mercury Magnetics or switching out the tubes for NOS.Don't forget that people who can barely play,never gigged or have previously only plugged into a Crate practice amp will attempt to critique a modded 100watt tube head!I do recall a bad review of a Voodoo TSL but I'm sure Trace could only improve the Marshall Triple Lead with it's dull cleans,ill defined crunch and poorly voiced lead channel.However,even the factory stock head can be dialed in pretty good through the right cab w/the proper spkrs(H30's or V30's w/75's in X pattern)AND with voodoo mod's that thing should be world tour ready!!

• Members

Hey to me the TSL doesn't sound bad at all I was thinking of retubing and biasing the amp before any major mods. But thanks for the advice. Have anybody seen the pics and the really bad review. What do you guys think about the BLACK EPOXY on the board :confused:

• Members

Ask Trace about Frankencat - it's not the whole story. Trace modded it, then Frankencat - who ommitted the fact he tinkers w mods - remodded it. He was pissing and moaning about the epoxy which at the time before Trace had his own circuit boards, used to keep his circuit design under wraps/patent. In a nutshell Frankencat f'd up his newly modded amp and then blamed Trace when he wouldn't fix his f-up for free. At least that was the summation of the story as I heard it. There was a whole debacle about 4 yrs ago or so....Hope it helps -

Rai //

www.FarewellRadiance.com

www.MySpace.com/FarewellRadiance

• Members

Sorry heres the site

i'd hope Trace doesn't see that, because he'll be deservedly pissed off about it (simply at the situation, and that it's still lingering after a number of years). that's a LONG standing story, where the guy on the website more or less agreed to have all the epoxy put in his amp but then started spreading filth about it later. he told Trace he was a tech or DIYer, and it came down to Trace would only perform the mod if epoxy could be applied. since the design of the mod is basically all Trace has that makes his business unique, this makes perfect sense to me as the LAST thing he'd want is someone to rip off his design.

from what i understand, Trace also has pages and pages of e-mails to confirm his portion of the story, and this guy is nowhere to be found.

having spoken to Trace myself over the course of almost a year, met him, and done business with him, i can say i could not be more satisfied. building my amp took longer than he thought it would, so instead of a "tough luck" or even just ignoring the obvious fact, he threw in about $150 worth of extra controls and gave me a big-ass discount on some of his cables that i had ordered.

• Members

Originally posted by Rai168

Ask Trace about Frankencat - it's not the whole story. Trace modded it, then Frankencat - who ommitted the fact he tinkers w mods - remodded it. He was pissing and moaning about the epoxy which at the time before Trace had his own circuit boards, used to keep his circuit design under wraps/patent. In a nutshell Frankencat f'd up his newly modded amp and then blamed Trace when he wouldn't fix his f-up for free. At least that was the summation of the story as I heard it. There was a whole debacle about 4 yrs ago or so....Hope it helps -

Rai //

www.FarewellRadiance.com

www.MySpace.com/FarewellRadiance

Yep...I remember all that stuff. Trace had proof that he advised Frankencat well before hand everything that would be done...and Frankencat said he'd take down the negative story...he never did.

IIRC, they don't epoxy anything anymore and haven't for a few years.

• Members

Originally posted by Craggin

IIRC, they don't epoxy anything anymore and haven't for a few years.

NOT ONLY do they not do the epoxy thing, they simplified the process by not even doing business with techs/DIYers and it's clearly stated on the website.

• Members

That was my biggest concern the whole BLACK EPOXY thing. But does anybody know for sure they don't do that no more. Thanks again

You know, if he really wants to put black epoxy over his original designs, then who cares. Let him do it. It seems that all people want to do these days is rip off someone elses hard work towards doing something original.

• Members

Yeah but keep in mind that if you don't like the mods you have to ship it back and take all the black epoxy stuff out plus get it to original specs, wich will cost shipping cost from you to voodoo and fom voodoo to you, because no tech will touch it. And can they guarantee can they take all the epoxy off its hard stuff to take out. By the way does anybody know if they still use black epoxy on there mods :confused:

• Members

Hey to me the TSL doesn't sound bad at all I was thinking of retubing and biasing the amp before any major mods. But thanks for the advice. Have anybody seen the pics and the really bad review. What do you guys think about the BLACK EPOXY on the board
:confused:

Don't get me wrong,I don't think the TSL is some disaster but my first impressions of all three channels were mediocre until tone shaped and cab matched.Sorry if I sounded like I was putting down your gear.I'm an okay,so-so lead player,I gotta' really work to get the dynamic's out of any amp.In the right hands I'm sure that thing can rock factory stock! It's just that with super mod tones and response,I could come off a little better.

• Members

Originally posted by EdgySwingsetAcid

You know, if he really wants to put black epoxy over his original designs, then who cares. Let him do it. It seems that all people want to do these days is rip off someone elses hard work towards doing something original.

i agree with you on principle, but the problem with that is if anything in the amp croaks, it's next to impossible to replace.

• Members

That was my biggest concern the whole BLACK EPOXY thing. But does anybody know for sure they don't do that no more. Thanks again

What FrankenCat fails to mention is how he tried to melt off the black epoxy from the newly installed components, thus creating his OWN mess inside of the chassis!

Also falsified is his claim that "the amps are rendered unserviceable." All of the Voodoo mods are 100% serviceable. Unless, of course, you go ahead and {censored} up the amp yourself. At that point, I guess you'd be looking for a scapegoat to bitch about... :rolleyes:

Archived