recording from line outs to computer

eor

• Members

hey, has anyone ever recorded from the line out of their pre or power amp into the computer? how does it sound? i figured eor should ask before i drag all this stuff back to my house.

does it sound better going from pre to power amp to the computer, or just from pre amp to computer?

love,

eor

• Members

I've never gone into a computer, but the princple is the same.

Most (older) "line outs" aren't designed with pc recodring in mind. They have ahighs and fizzles and bascially devoid of tone.

Some amps have a "compensated line out". The Marshall VS-100 is one example, and despite your opinion of the amp tone...the "compensated line out" actually worked very well.

Some amps and pre-amps have a "recording out" and these will vary form mediocre to stellar, depending on the internal settings...like cab/speaker/mic sims. The Rocktron Voodu Vlave is a good example; with all the features in there, there's no reason you couldn't get a decent recorded tone from those outputs.

Another option is the red box. It works fairly well for both live and recording. If you are using with an amp, you must use the amp's speaker as well.

You could also use one of the power soak devices. Several of them will have dummy load capibilities, which means you can get a cranked amp recorded tone at low or no volume levels.

It depends on your device and what kind of guitar tones you are looking for. Clean, you could probably get away with any line out.

Good tube tone should probably use the dummy load.

Conclusion: Experiement. What will work for someone else may not work for you.

EDIT: IF there was a choice of preamp out to computer, or an amp lin eout, I would try the amp line out forst. Then go back to the preamp L/O

It might help to know exactly what gear you are talking about.

• Members

peavey rockmaster pre into peavey classic 50/50 power amp, eor uses. both have line outs (the rockmaster has 2, actually, with different dbs, i think) so i was actually hoping to run it like so:

pre > power > audio buddy (di box/interface thing) > computer

(no cab in the equation here, i hoped to listen through headphones coming out of the computer)

that way, you can get power ampiness and cranked tone and what not and set the level going into the computer through the interface. you know, like, crank the {censored} out of the amps and set their recording level really low on the interface so it sounds ok. would that be possible, you think?

love,

eor

then again, these aren't fancy new fangled amps with compensated anything (as far as i know), so they might not sound that great, as you pointed out.

• Members

Originally posted by eor

hey, has anyone ever recorded from the line out of their pre or power amp into the computer? how does it sound? i figured eor should ask before i drag all this stuff back to my house.

does it sound better going from pre to power amp to the computer, or just from pre amp to computer?

love,

eor

Third person rules.

• Members

Originally posted by eor

peavey rockmaster pre into peavey classic 50/50 power amp, eor uses. both have line outs (the rockmaster has 2, actually, with different dbs, i think) so i was actually hoping to run it like so:

pre > power > audio buddy (di box/interface thing) > computer

(no cab in the equation here, i hoped to listen through headphones coming out of the computer)

that way, you can get power ampiness and cranked tone and what not and set the level going into the computer through the interface. you know, like, crank the {censored} out of the amps and set their recording level really low on the interface so it sounds ok. would that be possible, you think?

love,

eor

then again, these aren't fancy new fangled amps with compensated anything (as far as i know), so they might not sound that great, as you pointed out.

I don't think you can do that without the cab. Amp is expecting a speaker load.

Amp line out > direct box > recorder= blown amp.

eor not like

• Members

Or you could use a dummy load with a line-out. I think a Palmer speaker simulator will do that as well?

Anyway, I've used the speaker emulated line-out on my Yamaha DG80 combo and it doesn't sound that great. On that amp the poweramp and speaker is a big part of the tone so micing gets me better results.

In any case you do want to have some sort of speaker simulation if going direct. Otherwise it tends to sound harsh.

Archived