ENGL Screamer 50 vs. Thunder 50 (Derek B)

BARHOPPER

• Members

I'm curious about both of these little combos and have been to Rock Solid Amps website, but I thought that hopefully Derek could chime in with some comparisons of the two. There's only one clip of the Screamer combo at the site and none of the Thunder. Even though the tubes are not mentioned for the Screamer, I'm assuming they're the same as what's in the Thunder. What I'm really wondering about is are they similar amps with just a few different features. Are they essentially "voiced" the same? What type of speaker comes in each? Etc. At first I thought that I'd just give you a call Derek, but maybe this will peak some others' interest as well. Thanks

• Members

I bought the Thunder Head some day ago. I use it with a rivera 2x12 cab (great cab!!!).

Very cool head, it's simple, with a very beautiful clean channel!!!

The distortion channel is great, but at high volumes it's a bit harsh (but the sound is very Tight and have good punch). I think it's a tube questione, I will try 12at7 in the phase inverter.

The only problem about this amp it's the cheap construction!!!

The pots are very weak, they have plastic shaft, so it's easy to break it. I broke gain and master volume :( !!!

(and they are those damn panel mount pots, hard to find and easy to break!)

I assume the screamer is very similiar, but it have more features.

• Members

Hmmm, seems odd that they'd use cheap parts, as the combos are around $1200. I've just been gassing for a little 112 combo lately. I'll have a Traynor YCV50 Blue on the way in a couple of weeks, but also thought that I'd try something a little different from an EL34 amp as well.

• Members

Hey Barhopper I jut saw this thread. The 2 seem to sound pretty much the same overalll but the Thunder probably cause of less circuitry has a bit more organic less compressed tone than the Screamer and of course fewer features. It's a quality amp as are all Engl's and they are available with or without Reverb and come with celestion V80's

Derek:cool:

• Members

I've played a thunder and own a screamer. They do sound very similar, although the features differ. My screamer came with a v30 speaker, the thunder i tried had a v60. The screamer combo is actually a couple of inches wider than the thunder too, and the thunder has a shared gain control and no presence control. To be perfectly honest though. I think both amps cover near identical territory, so if you dont need the knobs and footswitching ability of the screamer I think the thunder is the one to get.

• Members

Originally posted by wor lez

I've played a thunder and own a screamer. They do sound very similar, although the features differ. My screamer came with a v30 speaker, the thunder i tried had a v60. The screamer combo is actually a couple of inches wider than the thunder too, and the thunder has a shared gain control and no presence control. To be perfectly honest though. I think both amps cover near identical territory, so if you dont need the knobs and footswitching ability of the screamer I think the thunder is the one to get.

My Combo's have the V 80's in them.

Derek

Archived