OT: Question for European Formites!

Dimebag11

• Members

Ok, me and my roommate/best friend are contemplating moving from FL to Europe next Fall, for a year...and if we like it we'll stay. We're taking a trip in March to visit Holland, Denmark, Sweden, and Finland to see how much the cost of living is and if we could get a job fairly easily...and be able to take my two dogs there :) If it seems feasable it's going to happen, I'm glad I have my best friend going with me it'll make the decision and experience easier :)

I've been to Holland before (Hilversum was my type of town:))

Have any of you moved from the States to Europe? How possible is it...we will each have about $5,000 USD starting $ etc...

P.S. Both of us are 24 and will have a Bachelor's degree from University of Central Florida (Criminal Justice for me) (Psychology for him).

Any advice would be TOTALLY helpful...and if you can show us around when we get there would be AWESOME!:)

• Members
Originally posted by Big Hair

hey man!

Why not visit Musikmesse - last weekend of March in Frankfurt Germany. There will be a whole bunch of Euro forumites meeting up - you are very welcome
:)

I have to coincide my vacation for the week of my spring break which is March 13th=18th

• Members

Originally posted by dreamspace

Norway's {censored}ing expensive.

Sweden and Finland is a bit less expensive...

Not sure with Denmark, only know that they have insane taxes.

I hear Holland/The Netherlands isn't too $$...live in Hilversum and work in Rotterdam or something I don't know. I have a lot of research ahead of me.

• Members
Originally posted by dreamspace

Norway's {censored}ing expensive.

Sweden and Finland is a bit less expensive...

Not sure with Denmark, only know that they have insane taxes.

But the chicks in Sweden (and Norway for that matter) - holy jesus!:eek:

:D

• Members
Originally posted by flyangus

But the chicks in Sweden (and Norway for that matter) - holy jesus!
:eek:

:D

hahaha, Awesome...Yea I prefer the european way of life...I've only visited once but I know the grass is always greener on the other side, but I wanna give it a try before I become to old :)

• Members

You won't find a job easily if you don't speak the language and don't have an employer that is willing to take all the legal {censored} on him that it will take to employ you in Europe. You might even do fine without speaking the language at first but if criminal justice is what you've learned then all you've learned is not very practical in Europe since the legal systems are different.
Maybe you could look for companies that need someone who's familiar with US laws to do business with overseas.

Working illegally here will bear many problems and won't get you anywhere financially.

• Members

Well I don't necessarily need to work in the Criminal Justice field...I can work wherever I'm sure I can find a place where they can find me some sort of job....music store, big companies like Nike or some {censored} I don't know

Edit: we might even try to get into graduate school at Amsterdam University or an equivilent school. Take a language class :)

• Members
Originally posted by Dimebag11

Well I don't necessarily need to work in the Criminal Justice field...I can work wherever I'm sure I can find a place where they can find me some sort of job....music store, big companies like Nike or some {censored} I don't know

Edit: we might even try to get into graduate school at Amsterdam University or an equivilent school. Take a language class
:)

Yes, but always remember: what makes you more attractive than a native applicant who will likely cause less legal trouble for a company?

I know someone from California who just moved here a couple of weeks ago. He got employed because he already belonged to an affiliated company and is going to build up a division of that branch in Europe. So they have a motive.
Don't take me wrong. I'm not trying to demotivate you, just trying to stay realistic.

• Members

Yes, Denmark is expensive. Nowhere near as expensive as Norway, though. Groceries cost up to double in Norway compared to Denmark.

I don't know what you are looking for, but I guess the most interesting city to visit for Americans in Denmark would be Copenhagen. It is our capital and has around one million citizens. But beware. Getting a place to stay there can get pretty expensive. You can easily end up paying $5-600 a month for a room in an apartment shared with two, three or more other people. You know sharing kitchen, bathroom etc. with the others. Being two you might be able to find a small apartment for about $1000 a month, but it will take some luck.

The second largest city is called

Archived