Can i hook a JMP up to my peavey xxx cab that is 8ohms stereo?

FearTheVoices

• Members

You would want to set the head to 4ohms (two 8 ohm loads = 4 ohms) but, I don't understand why you want to do that. The Marshall head is not stereo. I would just use the 16 ohm mono input on the cab and set the head to 16 ohms. Marshalls are supposedly running there best into 16 ohm loads.

• Members

Originally posted by cap'n'crunch

You would want to set the head to 4ohms (two 8 ohm loads = 4 ohms) but, I don't understand why you want to do that. The Marshall head is not stereo. I would just use the 16 ohm mono input on the cab and set the head to 16 ohms. Marshalls are supposedly running there best into 16 ohm loads.

this is why i come to this forum!!..I dont know anything about marshalls, this is my first, i "thought" i always heard that there cabs were 4 or 8 ohms and thats what people ran them at.

I need the most simple answer explaining ohms, how the hell did you come up with that 4 ohms thing?. Stuff like that i want to learn and probably should know after 16yrs of playing guitar.

Is there a difference in sound or volume when having it set at 4/8/16?

• Members

Originally posted by cap'n'crunch

because i thought all marshall cabs were 8 ohms, i was planning on getting on in the future and want to buy a hotplate now for this cab, but i need to select hotplate with the correct ohms.

if i get 16ohm hotplate, it best well work with my next cab i buy right?..

• Members

If a cab has 4 speakers and is mono then it is generally 4 or 16 ohms.

If it has 2 speakers, then it is generally 8 ohms.

If it has 4 speakers and is stereo, then it has 2 pairs of speakers at 8 ohms each.

As for a hotplate - I thought of getting one, but I'm always mixing/matching cabs or running different impedance cabs in pairs and stuff, so went with the Weber MASS which has selectable 2/4/8/16 impedance.

I notice no tone difference in running my Marshall into different impedance cabs.

Craig

p.s. If I were you I'd run your amp at 16 ohm, and set your cab to 16 ohm mono.

• Members
Originally posted by Junkhead

I have it running at 16ohms right now, but my cab can do 8ohms stereo...Does this mean i just set the JMP to 8ohms and use two cables running from the JMP to the cab??
:confused:

my cab is

16ohms mono

8 ohms stereo

two jacks

As mentioned,all you are doind is wasting a cable by running your cab in stereo mode when you only have a mono sound source.

Originally posted by tlbonehead

I've seen tons of 4x12 cabs that were 8 ohms. 8ohm drivers in series/parallel wiring.

That's how mine is. It does stereo too to confuse things :)

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

As mentioned,all you are doind is wasting a cable by running your cab in stereo mode when you only have a mono sound source.

I KNOW THAT. My point was is if i got a 8ohm cab in the future(i plan on getting a new cab in about 2-3 months) and if it ended up being 8ohm's then i would need to get a 8ohm hotplate for it. So i figured i would get a 8ohm now if possible and run the amp in stereo even though there are no benifits.

Now i see that most cabs are 4/16 ohms, and since i rarely change cabs(once ever 2-4 years usually) ill just go with the 16ohm hotplate.

• Members
Originally posted by Junkhead

I KNOW THAT. My point was is if i got a 8ohm cab in the future(i plan on getting a new cab in about 2-3 months) and if it ended up being 8ohm's then i would need to get a 8ohm hotplate for it. So i figured i would get a 8ohm now if possible and run the amp in stereo even though there are no benifits.

Now i see that most cabs are 4/16 ohms, and since i rarely change cabs(once ever 2-4 years usually) ill just go with the 16ohm hotplate.

You can't run a mono amp in stereo. And if you were to hook it up that way,you'd have to either use two hotplates,or a 2-in/2-out model if there is such a thing.

Archived