Clips! Guytron GT-100

Variable

• Members

So I was bored and decided to finally do clips of the GT-100 after owning it for about a year. Since most people have no idea what Guytrons are all about, here's the premise:

The preamp, in addition to the usual set of ECC83's, gets dumped into an EL84 power section; this in turn is slaved hotplate style into a 100watt EL34 poweramp. So the channel volumes really control how saturated the EL84's get, and the gain knobs control, well, the preamp gain.

There's two channels; one is clean and covers the gamut from Ampeg to AC30 sounds (I'm not kidding either, you crank the tone control and the amp adjusts the gain to get that AC30 shimmer). The dirt channel is a little less flexible, but gets classic to hot-rod Marshall sounds (not the best for metal without a pedal, but it can definatley pull off 80's thrash if you set it right).

Anyway, here are some clips; sorry for the crappy sound quality, but I'm dumping these from an SM57 into my POD XT on the Mic-Pre setting, so it leaves a little to be desired. No post processing or anything, just what I recorded. I'm running the Guytron into a Genz Benz G-Flex cab with Vintage 30 and a G-12 Century. Yes, I know my playing is crap, I wasn't really trying today :D

Dirt channel:

www.horracemcknight.com/GuytronGT100clip1.mp3

Clean channel:

www.horracemcknight.com/GuytronGT100clip2.mp3

Enjoy :)

-Russ

• Members
Originally posted by JerryP

A friend of mine used to own one. Very nice amps. Heavy as hell though!

Jerry

You're telling me; both trannies are at one end of the chassis, so nearly all 60lbs of the thing is at one end...

Prolly the last amp I'll every own, really :D

Oh, and it's funny, a friend of mine took his old Metal Zone and plugged it in and it actually sounded good! That was some hardcore metalage right there...

-Russ

• Members

I actually checked out a couple of the Guytrons. My friend used to do the website for Guy and he had one of the earlier models. He knows Jon Herington of Steely Dan and he had Jon's amp in town for repairs. Jon's was a later model with the preamp tube sockets mounted to the circuit board. The earlier version had them mounted to the chassis. My friend sold his to the guitar player for Frankie Valli and he in turn sold it to someone else. It was too heavy for all of them. You're right too, it's not balanced at all.
Jerry

• Members

Originally posted by JerryP

I actually checked out a couple of the Guytrons. My friend used to do the website for Guy and he had one of the earlier models. He knows Jon Herington of Steely Dan and he had Jon's amp in town for repairs. Jon's was a later model with the preamp tube sockets mounted to the circuit board. The earlier version had them mounted to the chassis. My friend sold his to the guitar player for Frankie Valli and he in turn sold it to someone else. It was too heavy for all of them. You're right too, it's not balanced at all.

Jerry

FYI mine is one of the earlier models (1990s if I remember) without the FV circuit. Personally I don't see why anyone would need it... this thing is so Fing versatile as it is...

-Russ

• Members
Originally posted by Variable

So I was bored and decided to finally do clips of the GT-100 after owning it for about a year. Since most people have no idea what Guytrons are all about, here's the premise:

The preamp, in addition to the usual set of ECC83's, gets dumped into an EL84 power section; this in turn is slaved hotplate style into a 100watt EL34 poweramp. So the channel volumes really control how saturated the EL84's get, and the gain knobs control, well, the preamp gain.

There's two channels; one is clean and covers the gamut from Ampeg to AC30 sounds (I'm not kidding either, you crank the tone control and the amp adjusts the gain to get that AC30 shimmer). The dirt channel is a little less flexible, but gets classic to hot-rod Marshall sounds (not the best for metal without a pedal, but it can definatley pull off 80's thrash if you set it right).

Anyway, here are some clips; sorry for the crappy sound quality, but I'm dumping these from an SM57 into my POD XT on the Mic-Pre setting, so it leaves a little to be desired. No post processing or anything, just what I recorded. I'm running the Guytron into a Genz Benz G-Flex cab with Vintage 30 and a G-12 Century. Yes, I know my playing is crap, I wasn't really trying today
:D

Dirt channel:

www.horracemcknight.com/GuytronGT100clip1.mp3

Clean channel:

www.horracemcknight.com/GuytronGT100clip2.mp3

Enjoy
:)

-Russ

Worked there for a short time. I really like the GT100 a lot but I liked Guy's marshall mods the most........pure evil genius.

Archived