Should I get a Quick Rod?

Dale B.

• Members

How much gain do these new ones have while in 3rd Gear? What's it comparable to?

The only reason why I'm asking is that I don't really want to go back to a Dual or Triple Rectifier and I can't find a Mark IV Short Head for sale that I like either.

Soooooo.... I guess that something is trying to tell me to pick one of these things up.

• Members

I have been thinking the same thing actually. Well I have been thinking a lot of things but this one seems to keep rising to the top. Anyone that has one does it at least get to a DSL 100 level of gainheaviness? If it does that I think I could be happy with one of these, and a Randall RM100 and a H and K Trilogy :D

• Members
Originally posted by Sordid1

I have been thinking the same thing actually. Well I have been thinking a lot of things but this one seems to keep rising to the top. Anyone that has one does it at least get to a DSL 100 level of gainheaviness? If it does that I think I could be happy with one of these, and a Randall RM100 and a H and K Trilogy
:D

now, this is just going by clips I heard, so take it for what it's worth!

but the QR seems to be capable of much heavier/tighter crunch/crushing tones than the DSL...

just from clips I've heard! admittedly, I've heard more QR clips than DSL clips...

want me to play it over the phone for you tomorrow? lol

• Members
Originally posted by shreder75

now, this is just going by clips I heard, so take it for what it's worth!

but the QR seems to be capable of much heavier/tighter crunch/crushing tones than the DSL...

just from clips I've heard! admittedly, I've heard more QR clips than DSL clips...

want me to play it over the phone for you tomorrow? lol

lol, my other guitarist is hopefully getting a DSL 100 this week and I have heardplayed them live more than once and they can get super heavy if dialed in right. I think the Splawn can too but I hear it is more clear. I don't know I really need to play some stuff to help me decide, the Randall rm100 is looking really good too :) I don't know why i'm even talking about it I can't buy anything right now anyway.

• Members
Originally posted by Sordid1

lol, my other guitarist is hopefully getting a DSL 100 this week and I have heardplayed them live more than once and they can get super heavy if dialed in right. I think the Splawn can too but I hear it is more clear. I don't know I really need to play some stuff to help me decide, the Randall rm100 is looking really good too
:)
I don't know why i'm even talking about it I can't buy anything right now anyway.

lol...just don't let gas get the best of ya ;)

• Members

I had one of the original ones Dale. Knowing your tastes, I think you will like it a lot. Mine had plenty of gain without the gear mods.

My only bitch was the clean, which was downright awful. I think this may have been fixed on the new ones with seperate EQ.

• Members

Quit being a pooter, buy one! :mad: m/

:D Seriously bro, come down to BR one weekend, crash, try mine out, see if ya like it.

I don't think you're gonna have a problem with gain, I run it about 9 o'clock for most stuff, got it up to about 11 o'clock, and I didn't need anymore.

• Members
Originally posted by shreder75

lol...just don't let gas get the best of ya
;)

I won't, I have a tendancy to get gas pretty bad but talk my self out of stuff pretty easily too. I know a piece of gear is really for me if I can't shake it within a day or two. Not having played the Splawn or Randall at this point it's percieved gas not real :)

• Members

The QR will not have the gain of a Dual Rectifier and will not sound anything like it. I'm sure you know this...

But, I will say, the QR has more gain than I need. I keep the gain between 11am and noon and it screams! And, you'll never need an OD pedal again.

If you like a "vintage" sounding amp then the QR is pretty hard to beat. Actually, it's "vintage on steroids." It's not a "modern gain" type of sound.

I say, "Buy it dude!"

:)

Archived