Mesa Boogie Score #2: Quad Preamp

4nkam

• Members

First score of the week was a Studio preamp for $200...I just bought a Quad for $400 :) I think that's a pretty good deal since they've been selling for $600-800 recently (and I think that's kinda out there anyway)...This isn't the one I bought though :p

quad.jpg

MJ

• Members

Originally posted by DeadNight Warrior

Nice!

The graphic EQ settings in that pic make me want to vomit though.
:(
Don't you dare set yours like that.
:mad::o

It wouldn't sound as scooped as you'd think. My Mark III is really mid heavy with the graphic EQ set flat. I have that slider almost all the way down also. It's somewhere at 15%. And I like mids. (I don't have the other sliders up that much, though).

- edit: OOPS!!! I just saw that you have a quad preamp too... well take my comment with a bit of salt then... :D -

• Members

Originally posted by 4nkam

First score of the week was a Studio preamp for $200...I just bought a Quad for $400
:)
I think that's a pretty good deal since they've been selling for $600-800 recently (and I think that's kinda out there anyway)...This isn't the one I bought though
:p
quad.jpg

MJ

Looks set for m/etal....clip on :D

• Members

Congrats onthe quad, i used to own one with a fifty:fifty poweramp and it smoked! Sounds just like the infamous mark iic+ etc series amps since the top channel is mark iic and bottom is mark iii preamp circuits, personally i think there is too much hype for ii c+ when the iii and iv sound as good.

-Tim

• Members

I just bought one for $600. I'm building a rig identical to my buddy's so I know this preamp rocks. Paired with the Simul 295 power amp.

The quad is basically the Mark IIC and the Mark III according to the manual. I can't wait to get it in tommorow and hook it up. I'll still need another cabinet to utilize their full potential, but i really don't need that much power at the moment, lol.

• Members

Originally posted by Tisca

Sweeet!

what poweramp are you running with (if any) ?

If you were talking to me, the power amp was a Peavey Classic 60 mono block (6L6 based) power amp. Which is another killer unit.

• Members

Originally posted by Shask

Compare them
:D

No doubt, I'm gonna put em both through their paces and put up a good comparison. Maybe clips...depending on if I can get my recording gear setup right :p

For a poweramp, I'm currently running my preamps into my Tremoverb head, but I might be getting either a Carvin TS100 or T100. Ideally, I'd love to get a VHT or maybe a Boogie before that...

MJ

• Members

I'm afraid y'all are gonna be wating a long time because I don't think I'm gonna sell it :p Haha, seriously though, I remember some great tones coming out of both of these, although I've had more time with the Quad, and I dig em both :) But you never know, I haven't had the chance to compare both and one could be a goner...

MJ

Archived