which piece of Line6 Gear should I get

TexasFlood

• Members

so I'm breaking down and buying something with direct outs to use at church. My options are obvious...Vetta II, Flextone III or PODxt Pro...couple any of those with the shortboard and that's what I'm looking at. I used the vetta last night with nothing coming through the amp (only sound was from outs into the PA) and it was fine. I liked a few patches alot. My favorite one was a mix of two amp models (a budda model and a vox model....AC30 is the amp I like the most) so I'm wondering if that will be important to me later as I think the Vetta is the only amp that can combine 2 models at one time. The Vetta is SO much money though...I don't really need all that I don't think.

Anyway, anyone with live experience with Line6 chime in....what did you use and why?

• Members

the POD is great for recording but I think they suck live. All line 6 stuff doesn't sound good live to me. At least every band I've seen using line 6 gear sounded crappy and the other guitarist in my Maiden trib band has a POD live and I think his tone doesn't compare to most tube amps. It has the Ice pick stabbing the ear tone. Just my opinion. But they are incredible sounding for recording. I love mine for that. I have the PODxt. I tried it at rehearsal and it sucked for that. Then again I have an Uberschall and a 5150 and a 1977 2203 Marshall.

• Members

there stomp box modellers are great live pieces...the MM4 might sound about 90% or so of the real deal..but when it comes to conveiniece , features and knowing they sound good enough for any audience I think it's a steal!

the DL4 is pretty cool too but I am not much of a delay user...

• Members

I'm not really looking for the "I don't like Line6 live" responses. I've decided this is what I'm going to do so, for those of you who have given it a legitimate shot and made it work, which piece of gear did you buy to achieve that sound? The Vetta works it's just expensive.

• Members

Originally posted by TexasFlood

I'm not really looking for the "I don't like Line6 live" responses. I've decided this is what I'm going to do so, for those of you who have given it a legitimate shot and made it work, which piece of gear did you buy to achieve that sound? The Vetta works it's just expensive.

I love mine, and won't be getting rid of it anytime soon. Killer amp.... trust me.

Jeff

• Members

I have used a xt live in a band situation and it worked out fine. It was'nt t he best tone I've ever heard but a big part of that is it's great for tweakers and I was in a hurry. You can get what you want out of line 6 gear just be patient. :)

• Members

i guess the vetta would probably be the best - it has loads of options with dual amps and effects and so on, so you should be able to play with it more than a lesser amp, the vetta being the flagship amp in the line6 catalouge

best bet really is to try and play through a couple fo the other amps and see what you like/dislike about the sounds

David

• Members
Originally posted by YellowSnow

I love mine, and won't be getting rid of it anytime soon. Killer amp.... trust me.

Jeff

I will sell you Jeff's amp dirt cheap providing you can get to my house with the cash before Saturday when he picks it up ;)

• Members

Originally posted by TexasFlood

what amp does Jeff have btw?

he has the hd147 and I agree it's awesome! Like the Vetta II the feel is only about 95% of the way there but in a band setting if you didn't tell me it was a modeler I would have no idea, it sounds awesome! The models aren't always very close but sound great if you aren't trying to cop a specific sound.

• Members
Originally posted by Sordid1

he has the hd147 and I agree it's awesome! Like the Vetta II the feel is only about 95% of the way there but in a band setting if you didn't tell me it was a modeler I would have no idea, it sounds awesome! The models aren't always very close but sound great if you aren't trying to cop a specific sound.

+1

if you got the funds a HD147 would be killer IMO.:cool:

m/

• Members

I use a pod xt in to a marshall power amp in to a marshall 4x12 with my band, i think is sounds pritty decent, the distortion isnt bad its not great but it works well and cuts through well once dialed in right( remember that u really do have to spend alot of time dialing these in), the clean though is absoutly amazing so clean and warm not digital sounding at all and with the tube power amp sooooo nice, the effects are great too. Over all i think this set up is a little nicer that a vetta, yes the vetta is a little more versatile but i think the pod xt with a tube power amp sounds truer if u know what i mean, fuller i guess is a better word, i have a friend with a vetta II and i think it sounds a little thin cranked up. If ur only going to plug this in to the pa via the direct outs then why not just go with the pod and save urself the extra 1000$ ud spend buying the vetta....unless u wana use a cab i supose.

anyways hope this helps
Piers

• Members

If you can't swing a new Vetta II, it is possible to buy a used Vetta I and upgrade (for free I believe... or a nominal charge), to the Vetta II. Check with the Line6 website and boards.

Of all of Line6's products, you're right that the Vetta is the only one that is current that can do two amps at once. There is a now discontinued amp (DuoVerb?) that could do two amps, but was really cut back on the number of models, and no effects. The Vetta series is far more flexible, imo.

Some people like and use live everything from the original POD to Vetta's. There's a lot of personal taste in deciding what works "best"... but I really find the Vetta series is the "best" they can currently do... so it would be the one I would suggest.

If budget the overriding concern, I think the original POD and PODxt are worth trying. With a little tweaking, you can get decent sounds, especially for a "church band" setting. If you can afford the full sized floorboard, or find one used, I would HIGHLY suggest it for live playing. The ability to have the extra controls really makes live use work for me.

One last idea. With my PODxt, I've taken to using both line outs with each channel being "hard-panned" to opposite sides. This seems to make the clean sounds "wide" and when you use chorus or phase or delay... it really enhances the effect. Of course this is only if you run your PA in stereo. If only mono... Nevermind! :D

michael

• Members
Originally posted by dv85150fan

+1

if you got the funds a HD147 would be killer IMO.
:cool:

m/

yup, he left it at my house and I finally was able to spend at least a half an hour with it today and even from that short time it is a lot of fun to play. Like I said it still doesn't feel 100% like a tube amp but the sounds could fool just about anyone imho! I didn't get a chance to crank it much either but next rehearsal I think we are going to switch heads and I'm going to try it out.

• Members

yup, he left it at my house and I finally was able to spend at least a half an hour with it today and even from that short time it is a lot of fun to play. Like I said it still doesn't feel 100% like a tube amp but the sounds could fool just about anyone imho! I didn't get a chance to crank it much either but next rehearsal I think we are going to switch heads and I'm going to try it out.

+1

ler her rip Dude.:cool:

m/

• Members

It's a deal.... I'll rock on the XXX and you the 147 next rehearsal.

My only concern is all the pedal dancing you do.... ;) I have no idea what you are stepping on all the time.... I might need a course in XXX operation prior to unleasing the Gibson into it.... hehehehe

The 147 is plug and play, as long as you use my patches...
;)

Later-
Admiral

Archived