Acer Aspire One Netbook

• Members

I just grabbed an Acer Aspire One laptop brand new for $300 at Staples.

acer-aspire-one-00.jpg

Very cute mini-notebook. It is a Netbook as opposed to a Notebook, stripped of many features designed for surfing or networking. (3) USB 2.0 ports, VGA port, (2) multiple format memory ports, ethernet, wireless, headphone, mic/line input. 1.7Ghz Intel Atom (dual core cpu), 512M RAM expandable to 1.5G, 1280x600 8.6in LCD, 160G hard drive, WinXP home, one battery pack with charger.

No floppy or CD/DVD - no problem plenty of external devices with USB. Same if you need printer, scanner, etc. No docking station, no parallel printer port, no PS/2 ports. No preloaded software except for M$ Office 2007 student version and McAfee AV 60 day subscription. Really bare but functional laptop for non-office student use.

It may not be a digital audio powerhouse, but it looks to be the perfect MIDI sequencer for stage. I plan on grabbing a MOTU USB-MIDI interface and install a MIDI sequencer to see how well these work.

• Members

Cool. Im using one now. By far the best looking netbook IMO. Looked at them all. Eee PC, Msi Wind, Samsung, etc but this one struck me as being the best built/looking/price. (Odd for an Acer :lol:)

Only concern is the battery, Lasts about 2hrs with XP, the upgrade battery gives 6/7hrs but is physically larger. From your spec, i'd strongly advise upgrading the memory.

Hope you enjoy it. Ive found it very useful.

:)

For pure MIDI -using real MIDI hardware instead of Soft Synths- I am sure it will work perfectly. MIDI alone can be handled flawlessly by computers over 20 years old.

Still, it all depends on how good the computer can run the MIDI app itself (the DAW that is). I don't think a recent version of Cubase, Sonar or Pro Tools could be ran in that machine. Perhaps a MIDI-only software...

• Members

Nice. I have the same one as in the photo.

It differs from yours in three ways:

8GB flash drive

1GB RAM

Linpus Linux (Which I switched to Easy Peasy (based on Ubuntu))

I love it. It's so handy. Great for just sticking in your backpack Surprisingly good keyboard, although the touch pad is a bit crap (I use a mouse as much as possible). I'll prolly upgrade the battery at some stage too.

It cost me NT$7000 (approx $200US).

• Members

Cool. Im using one now. By far the best looking netbook IMO. Looked at them all. Eee PC, Msi Wind, Samsung, etc but this one struck me as being the best built/looking/price. (Odd for an Acer
:lol:
)

Only concern is the battery, Lasts about 2hrs with XP, the upgrade battery gives 6/7hrs but is physically larger. From your spec, i'd strongly advise upgrading the memory.

Hope you enjoy it. Ive found it very useful.

My (3 cell) battery died a couple of weeks ago, just got the replacement last week (under warranty). There are many alternatives, including 9-cell batteries that last much much longer but increase the size and stick out the back/bottom.

I even installed Sonar on it for fun, but have not tried any keyboarding through it.

• Members

Its not a netbook, but i have an acer laptop thats probably 6 or 7 years old running MIDI-OX and some related tools. My M3 is doing the sequencing, and it grants the M3 the multiple MIDI I/Os it lacks.

What I am waiting for is a touch screen netbook. one of those running fruity loops or guru could possibly be the worlds coolest drum machine.

• Members

Better than my Dell Inspiron POS, or as I like to call it, the "Space Heater".

• Members

Its not a netbook, but i have an acer laptop thats probably 6 or 7 years old running MIDI-OX and some related tools. My M3 is doing the sequencing, and it grants the M3 the multiple MIDI I/Os it lacks.

Same here, using an fine 8+ years old battery-less 14" screen laptop to read/search the huge ParamG/OpG pdf, run the editor and check the related web sites. It could do MIDI sequencing, no problem (if downgraded to Win98SE that is - never had good external MIDI timing with 2000/XP).

Netbooks are looking like disposable toys to me.

:p

Archived