[tech]replacing amp pots...

namelessONE

• Members

hello!

I bought a little engl thunder head...

very nice amp!!

but yesterday I broke the Gain and Volume pot!!!!

I open the amp and I discover that the pot are small and strange...

not like the guitar pot...and this pot that i found on an tube amp mod site:

torresengineering_1857_444042

The pot on my amp are smaller, with plastic shaft, and each pot are connected to the pcb board with 5 connector, but only 3 seem to be wired.

So I ask to you if I can use normal pot to repair my amp...

There are also, some little easy mod that I can do to reduce the harshness of the distortion channel, or improve the overral sound/dynamic???

• Members

If there is enough room to install the larger pot without interference you should be able to use some jumper wires to hook it up. you may want to check some place like mouser.com (not sure if they ship to your location but worth a look).

I have no idea about a circuit mod without studying a schematic or seeing the amp so outside of trying different preamp tubes I can't offer a suggestion but a simple tube swap may be all you need.

• Members

i had a customer a while back that had some small solid state amp that he kept breaking the pots in.after the third time replacing them i upgraded the pots to heavy duty chassis mount pots and made jumpers from the board to the pot with 12 ga. wire. as long as you have good lead dress you shouldnt have any noise problems and wont have to worry about breaking them again. :)

• Members

Originally posted by garfight

i had a customer a while back that had some small solid state amp that he kept breaking the pots in.after the third time replacing them i upgraded the pots to heavy duty chassis mount pots and made jumpers from the board to the pot with 12 ga. wire. as long as you have good lead dress you shouldnt have any noise problems and wont have to worry about breaking them again.
:)

Yes, I think I will go with the Pot I posted in the image, those damn panel mount pots are to weak!!!

I hope they fit without much problem :p , and I don't have problem wiring it.

Do you know any place to get engl schematics, or basic amp pot schematics???

• Members

Originally posted by namelessONE

Yes, I think I will go with the Pot I posted in the image, those damn panel mount pots are to weak!!!

I hope they fit without much problem
:p
, and I don't have problem wiring it.

Do you know any place to get engl schematics, or basic amp pot schematics???

ive never dealt with engl but i dont see why they wouldnt send you a copy.

• Members

Yes, I just asked to engl service if they can send me the schematics, and what kind of pot I must use (I assume that they are linear 1M pots).

By the way, I found this site very cool:

http://www.torresengineering.com/

Lot of cool stuff and usefull info.

I think I try to put a 12at7 in the phase inverter and 5751 in other position. All to have more headroom and a more usable gain (I hate those modern head, the distortion tend to be harsh on high volume).

I'm just wondering about KT66. They're compatible with the power section of my amp or I need to adjust bias?

Archived