Does anyone know exactly what a Ruby 7025 SS is?

Grendel1

• Members

I got my new CLX in the mail today, it came loaded with Ruby EL34BSTR's (which I think is awesome) and some Ruby 7025SS preamp tubes. They look like the 9th gen Chinese I have, except the rectangular plate in the middle is made of more silvery metal.

Does anyone know if this a new Chinese 12AX7 or the same as the C9?

• Members

Originally posted by Grendel1

I got my new CLX in the mail today, it came loaded with Ruby EL34BSTR's (which I think is awesome) and some Ruby 7025SS preamp tubes. They look like the 9th gen Chinese I have, except the rectangular plate in the middle is made of more silvery metal.

Does anyone know if this a new Chinese 12AX7 or the same as the C9?

Not new, out of production Chinese Ruby Siver Specials, and considered by many of the real-picky guys to be absolutely fantastic sounding.

So you lucked out - they're the good stuff.

The new Mullard close are supposed to be good too.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarded_1

I was under the impression that Ruby re-released the 7025.

yes,

here's my question from another forum which of course has been ignored

============================================

hi,

I can't get a handle on the different types of these

I mean one guy is selling them for 2x more than another guy. Both sellers highly regarded. Is there an old really "special" silver special and a new production silver special? Are both types Ruby 7025?

thanks

============================================

• Members

Yeah, they're re- released. I'm going to play w/ 'em out here in an hour or two.

I was mainly curious as to what the gain is, I did find something that said they are hi, so it looks like I may have found my new tube! They look exactly like the C9's except for that nickel plate.

I guess it's the new hi grade Ruby, they're pretty expensive from what I've seen.

VHT sure doesn't skimp on the tubes!

• Members

Originally posted by blackba

I heard about them from Mike at KCAnostubes. He sells them for $12 a piece. He had some pretty good things to say about them. Hopefully he will chime in. I am thinking of trying some out on my next order:

http://kcanostubes.com/content/estore_details.asp?product=297

yes I've been staring at that page for a few days now and can't seem to get any more info from it...:eek: I should just buy some and get a life. Now, I remember here's where I read about it:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1013109&highlight=7025

• Members

I got to try 'em out today, and I think they're my new faves. They're higain like the C9's, but less brittle and more silkier. I put 'em in the first three slots, I'll have to fill 'em all now.

I hope they keep producing them for a long time.

• Members

Originally posted by Alanfc

how would you compare them to the EH 12ax7?

With my amp those have been a good match ..

I haven't tried 'em:( But I like 'em better than any other tube I've tried, including a couple NOS tubes (though mainly cuz of gain), I'm a metal head, and the Ruby's work really well for me.

If you like the C9's though, I would definitely check them out. Definitely less brittle and silkier on the top end than those.

• Members

Just got mine yesterday and ran through a couple last night,

amp= Rivera R55 55 watt EL34's.

I like!

I always try out new preamp tubes by recording at gig volume in my iso cab. Then listening back and comparing on my studio monitors. At what the youngins here might call medium gain or 80's hard rock tones..to me the best way to judge the balls and gain of a preamp tube. Amp and mic preamp settings identical for tests.

Previously I had an EH in V1 and new Chinese in V2-5

Tried the SS 7025 in V1, great, more gain, more bottom. I can dial back my preamp volume now.

The EH sounded chunky (not in a good way) in comparison. My EH used to sound like it had so much detail and presence before... But the SS 7025 is better.

then tried an SS 7025 in V1 and V2 both .... not good. Too chunky and muddy.

So its SS 7025 in V1, with the Chinese staying in v2-v5

• 3 years later...

Archived