sound problems: amp positions/settings?

Mr_GoodBomb

• Members

I got into a bit of an arguement with one of the guitarists in my band about sound tonight. Our sound is kinda muffled, and not very defined. We don't use much gain, and the guitarists use Marshall JCM 800s and an Orange head.

We almost always put the amps beside and behind the drumset, and I said that putting them out further just beside or even in front of further would help, and he didn't understand why. Any ideas?

• Members

next time smash him over the head with your guitar if he does not get what you are saying:)

seriously though, those marshalls should not sound muffled - if anything at gig volumes it should have no problem cutting through and being punchy

they would definately project better with nothing in front of them. so unless something is wrong with the amps as far as maintenance if you are not digging the stage sound he should not have a problem moving things around to experiment

• Members

Are the cabs behind anything? any drums? That could muffle your sound some.

Being behind the drums means they are behind the drummer. I would think they kill his ears before they get out to you guys if you are in front of the drums. I could see getting them out of his ears so you can turn them up a little.:confused:

• Members
Originally posted by Mr_GoodBomb

I got into a bit of an arguement with one of the guitarists in my band about sound tonight. Our sound is kinda muffled, and not very defined. We don't use much gain, and the guitarists use Marshall JCM 800s and an Orange head.

We almost always put the amps beside and behind the drumset, and I said that putting them out further just beside or even in front of further would help, and he didn't understand why. Any ideas?

They really should be behind the drummer and facing in so that the drummer and the member(s) across the stage can hear them. That is,unless you have a great monitoring system with dedicated sidefills/monitors for the instruments. But if your overall sound is muffled,it would be a PA problem and not an onstage thing. Looks like you need to work on mic placement and sound check a bit more seriously.

• Members

Closed back cabs are very directional. If they're pointed at your knees you're not gonna hear them well, no matter what amp you have. If the cabs are furthur back, it gives them a chance to open up some. I always set my 4x12 as far back as I could. If it was a small stage, I put it on a chair to the side of myself, facing in toward the band.

• Members
Originally posted by Kelly

Closed back cabs are very directional. If they're pointed at your knees you're not gonna hear them well, no matter what amp you have. If the cabs are furthur back, it gives them a chance to open up some. I always set my 4x12 as far back as I could. If it was a small stage, I put it on a chair to the side of myself, facing in toward the band.

My 4x12 is always up in the air about 1 1/2', usually on top of the drummer's kick drum case.

Archived