Korg X50 v M50

• Members

I've been checking out all the demo's etc for the X50 and M50 from Korg. What I cannot make out is the relationship between the two. From what I have heard on these demo's, the X50 sounds a lot better than the M50.

Is the M50 a workstation version of the X50 that adds sequencing etc or are they two completely different boards? For the money, the X50 seems like a terrific buy as I do not need sampling and sequencing as I have that already with other equipment.

• Members

The X50 sounds better than the M50? That's a bold statement.... :D

The M50 has the 256MB sampleROM that the M3 had before it got expanded. The X50 has the original Triton 32Mb ROM + another 32MB, probably from the various expansion boards.. The M50 also has more insert effects (5 I believe?) than the X50.

The M50 sounds a lot better IMO.

• Members

Seeing as you already have a Triton, adding an X50 would create a big overlap in terms of sound. The M50 on the other hand has newer (better maybe) samples and would add a lot more to your sound pallate.

I guess you have to check them both out yourself. Watching demo's is not really a good way to "test" a synth. Keep in mind that manufacturers could beef up the sound using external effects, compressors and stuff. Playing it in a store is the best way to audition a synth :)

• Members

Just going by the demos on youtube.

You're judging sound quality on something that sacrifices all sound quality just so they don't burn through ludicrous bandwidth quotas daily, just regularly ridiculous ones ;).

Anyway, you have a Triton already, which trumps either of these in build quality, especially the X50. Why not pick something else?

• Members

When the M50 came out I wanted to see if it would replace my X50. I was interested in the sequencer and other features it offered. IMHO I honestly found it not worth the upgrade for what it cost. Most of the sounds were similar if not the same as on the X50. Not all but at least %75. I have played them on three separate occasions and come up with the same conclusion each time. The X50 lacks the features of the M50 but the sound difference is not overwhelming. This is not a side by side comparison.

• Members

I have just been interested because of the potability of the X50 and M50. I really want a PC3 but don't have the cash right now.

The Triton is ok, but the pianos are awful and I use them a lot. I've managed to try a PC3x and I loved it. My wife hoever, was quick to point out that I need something smaller and lighter than my Triton Pro x and the 88 note PC3x is still big and heavy! I haven't managed to get my fingers on a PC3 and therefore don't know if I will like the feel of it enough to shell out that much more cash than say an M50 for example.

• Members

I have just been interested because of the potability of the X50 and M50. I really want a PC3 but don't have the cash right now.

The Triton is ok, but the pianos are awful and I use them a lot. I've managed to try a PC3x and I loved it. My wife hoever, was quick to point out that I need something smaller and lighter than my Triton Pro x and the 88 note PC3x is still big and heavy! I haven't managed to get my fingers on a PC3 and therefore don't know if I will like the feel of it enough to shell out that much more cash than say an M50 for example.

Just got my PC3 a little under 2 weeks ago. The action on it is very interesting, I'm really liking it for what I do. It has resistance to it, but it allows for fast playing/synth leads etc. I found it to be a happy middle ground between my Triton Extreme (extremely fast action) 76 and 88. Only thing its a bit rough for would be organ slides, but I'm happy to have something that is so well balanced. (And its no heavier than any other unweighted 76 key keyboard, so its a bit under 40 lbs)

• 2 months later...
  • Members

My cousin is a professional jazz pianist. He owns a Korg X50 and tried out the M50. He thinks the piano, epiano, organ and synth sounds are better on the X50. That doesn't really make sense to me, but I guess he should know. He's got a real Rhodes, thinks the Rhodes sound on the X50 is decent, but worse on the M50.

• Members

He's wrong. He's WAY wrong. I also have a real Fender Rhodes which now sits in my garage waiting for someone to say they want it. The EP's and organs on the M50 beat the crap out of the X50. I won't even get into the extended list of things that the M50 beats the X50 in but I'll summarize it for ya: EVERYTHING.

And I have played extensively with the X50. I have one at our practice space that is there when I bring my Triton and M50. Hands down, no comparison.

-Mc

• Members

My cousin is a professional jazz pianist. He owns a Korg X50 and tried out the M50. He thinks the piano, epiano, organ and synth sounds are better on the X50. That doesn't really make sense to me, but I guess he should know.

Doesn't matter what HE thinks. It matters as to what YOU think. Just because he's a jazz pianist doesn't mean his opinion is above yours. I mean, there could be a ton of factors at play here, not the least of which is a comfort zone. He may be more comfortable with the X50...plus he owns it and hears it all the time. Where did he try out the M50? In a store?

I'm not saying he's right or wrong, just that opinions can vary greatly no matter who you are. Ask 10 pianists what the best keyboard is and you'll get 20 different answers....see what I mean? :D

• Members

Gotta say... I LOVE my M50. Opened our first show... sort of an old Genesis tribute band... this past week with the M50's tape strings for "Watcher of the Skies". Kicked ass! It also has some great organs... "I Know What I Like", "Dodo", etc. Also, the Tron Choir in "Dance on a Volcano"!

• Members

Gotta say... I LOVE my M50. Opened our first show... sort of an old Genesis tribute band... this past week with the M50's tape strings for "Watcher of the Skies". Kicked ass! It also has some great organs... "I Know What I Like", "Dodo", etc. Also, the Tron Choir in "Dance on a Volcano"!

AJP -- you know the watcher patch in the Triton is dead on. you can replicate that easily enough in the M50. Try this:

OSC-1

High 225 Syn-Ghostly (not sure which waveform #, this on is from Triton)

Low 000 A. Piano (not used)

Oct-1, Tran +6, Tune -0600, Delay 0000Ms

OSC-2

High 123 String Ens (again, go by the name, not the waveform #)

Low 000 A. Piano (not used)

Oct +0, tran +6, Tune -0600, Delay 0004Ms

Effects:

IFX 008 St. Graphic 7EQ and 040 Rotary speaker.

MFX1 015 St. Analog record

MFX2 Reverb wet plate.

I used this information to recreate the patch on the M3...I'd send you that, but my M3 is long gone. You have to play around with the effects to get it just right, but it can be done. Hope that helps.

Bill

Archived