Electro Voice EVM12L Speakers VS Celestion 25w GreenBacks - Help Please

danjovi

• Members

what is each speakers specialty?

I would really like to hear the opinions of people who have played through both these types of speakers.

The EV's have a hell of a lot of wattage handling

I've played some 25 GreenBacks and they sound great.

Is it posible to run 2 Celestion 25w GB's and 2 EV12L's in a 4x12 cabinet?

• Members

Originally posted by danjovi

what is each speakers specialty?

I would really like to hear the opinions of people who have played through both these types of speakers.

The EV's have a hell of a lot of wattage handling

I've played some 25 GreenBacks and they sound great.

Is it posible to run 2 Celestion 25w GB's and 2 EV12L's in a 4x12 cabinet?

i tried v30s and EVS in a 4x12...too lopsided sounding...EVs sucked down all the juice and v30s couldn't get their groove on

i have a clip using the EV in a 1x12 with my egnater tol 100 head...it's the end of the world clip in my signature below

i like EVS

• Members

thanks for some input

the reason i ask is becuase I have a marshall 4x12 with 4 (25w gbs)

don't get me wrong, i think it sounds great and I don't think im going to change speakers(might throw 2 different in but not all 4)

I'm just curious as to how those EV speakers compare.

I used to have a 4x12 mesa retco standard cabinet but when i heard the marshall cab I thought it sounded way better.

Does anyone know a speaker combination with 2 Celestion Green Backs that sounds killer?

• Members

Well the GB's and EVM's are on completely different sides of the planet sound wise.

A GB is designed to break up, hump your mids and color your sound in a midrangy way.

Whereas the EVM is is a very neutral speaker. There is no EQing in the speaker itself, and is very natural. The EVM is the flattest response guitar speaker ever made. If you want to hear what your amp "Actually" sounds like....The EVM will do it. The EVM will NOT break up or add any frequencies like most guitar speakers.

I would never place an EVM and a GB in the same cabinet. The EVM will soak up all the sound and starve the GB to the point that you will probably not hear the GB.

You may want to try adding either a set of G12H30's or CL80's if you want to add more bass and thickness to the GB's.

Steve

• Members

i used EVs in matching 1x12s for years as my speakers in my triaxis stereo rig.

they are good at trapping the flubby bass end...tight and high wattage performance.

they also exhibit little to no celestion type growl and breakup.

great for clean and helping to smooth out a gritty blues tone.

but if you get them cranked up, they start to loosen their collar a bit and bounce.:cool:

• Members

Here is a more specific question heh.

What speakers added in will help reach that "chest hitting" sound when you palm mute some chords heavily.

It's almost like you can feel the vibration hit you.

I'm guessing that has something to do with adding more bassyness to it or the speakers?

Archived