speaker making big "thump" noise when turning amp on???

themeanreds

• Members

Hey y'all

Wondering if anyone can help me diagnose this:

I just got a used Gallien-Krueger 400RB bass amp head (older small-box version) off Ebay. I received it today.

I plugged it in through an cabinet loaded with an 8ohm 200 watt 15" speaker. I used a proper speaker cable.

The moment I hit the power switch to turn the amp on, the speaker emits a fairly loud "thwump" sound, and I see the speaker cone itself jump as if I had just turned the amp up all the way and hit a low E.

When I turn the amp off, the moment the power LED fades out the "thwump" noise occurs again, although it's noticeably quieter.

The amp works perfectly and sounds great; it's just this weird sound upon powering up and down that is the issue.

Any ideas as to what's up with the amp? I have used the same exact speaker cabinet and speaker cable with other amps and have never experienced this problem.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Members

Originally posted by whatever

Turn the volume all the way down before powering up.

happens regardless of where the volume control is set.

This dude named Ted on the Webervst.com amps bulletin board gave an explanation with some fancy-sounding words like "symmetry."I think he's full of {censored}, though. Guy probably has no idea what he is talking about.

I mean, with a name like "Ted?"

jeeeez.

• Members

Originally posted by -=MYK=-

Normal.

We're talking a big-ass "thwump" sound, here.

My girlfriend had just walked in the front door of our apartment building when it happened; our apartment is on the third floor. She walked into our placed and asked if I just heard a big-ass "thwump" sound. I don't think that's normal.

• Members

Originally posted by themeanreds

happens regardless of where the volume control is set.

This dude named Ted on the Webervst.com amps bulletin board gave an explanation with some fancy-sounding words like "symmetry."I think he's full of {censored}, though. Guy probably has no idea what he is talking about.

I mean, with a name like "Ted?"

jeeeez.

you mean ted weber? nah, what would he know...

Archived