Deftones "My Own Summer" tone

skunky_funk

• Members

Originally posted by Danny_CKone

In these years ADA MP1 preamp, Marshall JMP Preamp, Marshall 100+100 poweramps, ESP guitars (Duncan JB, he had his signature axe yet? or regular horizons?) and Rocktron rack effects mainly.

the guitar in the video is a fender strato I think.

I thought Adrenaline was MP-1/ESP Horizons

ATF was JMP/ESP horizons and then custom sigs.

White Pony was JMP and POD Pro/ ESP sigs

s/t was JMP and maybe POD Pro/ESP sigs.

At least, that seems like the setups as a generalization...Maybe more so for live work on the tours for the post ATF stuff.

• Members

Guitargeek has his live rig from 1999:

http://guitargeek.com/rigview/251/

This is the Around the Fur period so should be pretty close.

A lot of people complain that Steph's tone is way too processed and sterile sounding, and I think the key there is the combo of EMGs into the JMP. Personally I love the Deftones and Steph's tone works great for the music, but it's not a sound I would really want for myself.

• Members

At least is what i saw in the live videos i have from that time, i dont know exactly what he used for each cd (IMO Adrenalize was only ADA and ATF a combination of that 2 preamps)

I love that band, one of my faves for sure...

...and i want so bad one of the old LTD SC500!!! and i dont find one near!!!:mad:

• Members

Originally posted by BillyCorgan

I had my mids pretty low on that one. I forget the settings.
:(
PRS Singlecut with Duncan JB and Mesa Strategy 500 in that clip.

Nice! Did you mic your cab or did you go streight in?

• Members

ATF was JMP with his marshall poweramp....he didn't have signatures in production but he recorded with custom esp's that eventually became his signatures and they had jb's in the bridge....he uses a lot of effects....sounds to me like he always has a bit of chorus and probably small amounts of bunch of other effects....sounds pretty processed like one other guy said but it's pretty sweet tone......on a side note he started using emg's for white pony...he still used jbs for the tour though when i saw them twice

Archived