American made Schecter Stratocaster's... any good?

dreamspace

• Members

Originally posted by dreamspace

How are they? found one for sale, are they any good?

:)

I played one before I bought my Anderson Classic. And really liked it. If I had to do over again, I would have bought the Schecter Strat. It was less money and was just as good for me. I really dig that maple neck in your picture.

• Members

Now THAT is is serious consideration!

Check the weight.......many of the Schecter guitars featured exotic body woods (ie: Bubinga, etc.) that were cool enough, but weighed a ton!

Check the fret wear......make sure you know a GOOD luthier if you need fret as the whole feel of the guitar can be thrown off with a less than masterful fret job. ALSO heavy fret wear should be a dealing point to lower an already lowered price at least $100 to $150........even considering I pay about $300 for a REAL fret job with PLEK setup these days.

Those pickups look like they might be the original Schecter pickups that are still wound by Tom Anderson (now called Monstertone or something like that). I like them but they're not your typical Strat twang deals. Still very cool in a total vintage Schecter package.

Sound is everything.......play it. Ask if there is any return policy you can take advantage of. Bring it to an informed luthier or trusted repair person for a quick appraisal of it's problems or potential.

If it fits your needs, those old Schecters are SO cool. :thu:

I wouldn't walk across the street to ask another player about his $3,000 Fender Custom Shop Relic Limited Edition Reissue.....but I'd fight traffic to see a cool older Schecter! :D

• Members

the quality is top notch, but since a lot of them were custom made, sometimes the wood combinations don't sound exactly great... and sometimes they sound awesome. if it's an unusual body wood you don't normally see strats made from, definitely play before buying.

top-notch construction though, that's pretty much a given.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Holy cow i have an 80's one and boy am i lucky i got a beautiful dark wood finish and a matallic gold pickguard i just put hot rails and a dimarzio evolution in it and it shred they now sell for 1500 so yeah i bout mine for 600 to

• Members

An '87 Schecter could have been built by John Suhr, as he was a Schecter authorized builder at the time.

Aren't you thinking Tom Anderson? or was Surh working for Schecter as well? :confused:

Maybe thats why one of my Schecter's headstocks looks like both a Suhr and an Anderson stock :idea:

Picture003-3.jpg

ts38.jpg

Suhr_headstock_bb_s-1.jpg

• Members

Aren't you thinking Tom Anderson? or was Surh working for Schecter as well?
:confused:

He was a freelance builder for Schecter while he was was working at Rudy's Music Stop in NYC. He built Schecters for Pete Townsend, Lou Reed, Mark Knopfler and others.

Then he started making guitar under Pensa-Suhr, while still working at Rudy's (owned by Rudy Pensa) and then finally opened his own brand, Suhr Guitars.

• Members

The funny thing is how fucking idiots who bump 5 year old threads have one or two posts, and then are never seen again
:idea:

Well that's because everytime someone post a new post and ask a question someone says "NOOB USE THE SEARCH BAR NOOB NOOB HIT SEARCH POST NOOB DONT START A NEW THREAD NOOB"

Archived