Dimebag and the "over-used" Whammy pedal

BAZGUITARMAN

• Members

Please don`t think that I`m bashing Dimebag. He was and will continue to be one of my metal idols, but....

Crap, didn`t he start to use the Digitech Whammy pedal a whole bunch toward the end of his recording career? Almost like Kirk Hammet and the wah pedal. Almost like a crutch. I don`t doubt Dime`s skill, but I do notice the whammy became more and more predominate in his arsenal.

Is it just my imagination?

R.I.P Dimebag

Eric

• Members

I was around the metal scene before there was a Pantera. Way before.

I just noticed that as Dime`s career progressed, so did his use of the whammy pedal. I`m not saying it`s good or bad. I just thought it is funny that so many players rag on Kirk Hammet for his use of the wah, but no one ever says anything about Dime and the whammy pedal. Hmmmm.

Just something to think about.

Eric

• Members

Originally posted by BAZGUITARMAN

Dude, are you serious?

Listen to FBD, Trendkill or the New Found Power disc. The whammy becomes very prevalent as the discs progress. What made me notice was the New Found Power disc. It`s all over that one.

Eric

Did I disagree with you? I just want to see the actual useage of it progress. Also maybe he got better useing it or found new things to do with it he hadn't done before...

Kirk uses the wah as a crutch and covers up all his solo's with it. Dime didn't do that with the wammy.

• Members

Originally posted by Romanian Reaper

I don't look at it like a crutch. Anything could be defined as a "crutch" like Eddie's tapping, Randy Rhodes' pick slides, Zakk Wylde's vibrato, etc. I feel that if a certain thing is their "signature" and it fits the song, roll with it.

For Kirk it is a crutch. I understand about the signature sound thing but I'm sure you've seen him live lately as I have and it was horrible...I would think he would know how to USE a {censored}ing wah before he made it his signature sound...

• Members

He was one of the guitar players that made it popular

If you're familiar with his rig... the whammy is absolutely necessary to get a thick lead tone.. The solid state randall is dull on it's own for lead tone... always needs a wah, delay, or flanger/chorus type sound to beef it up

• Members

You can't talk about the Whammy pedal and not mention Tom Morello. However, by no means is it a crutch. He uses all of his effects as if they were part of the guitar itself. His whole rig is one instrument. Now I love Dime, but I think he used the Whammy like some people use a wah-wah, but I don't think he ever over did it. Neither is better or worse, they are just two totally different players.

:thu: :thu:

• Members

he did seem to use it alot, but in a good way.

i think it may have been a result of him hearing his solos in his head before playing/recording them - and when it came time to do the classic heavy metal "harmonic-bar raise" - the note in his head may have went well above what his trem was capable of doing, so he used the whammy pedal as a tool to get what he wanted done - done.

• Members

i totally see what you mean with dimebag using the whammy more and more later in his career

i think it was brilliant the way he used it in 'hellbound' and from FBD

but all the other instances haven't been extraordinary, particularly in damageplan

i was a bigger fan of him getting his high-pitched sounds from his 'harmonic screams' back in CFH rather than the whammy

btw, can anyone tell me what he's fretting and how he's using the whammy in 'hellbound'? i havent had a chance to try the whammy and with the price tag of 200 something i dont think i will soon

Archived