Can you really hurt your amp with a variac???

vancleaf

• Members

I always hear alot of dudes say don't use one cuz you'll ruin your amp...blah blah. Never heard any actual occurences of an amp being ruined by one. I do know that it cant be under like 80 volts or some {censored}....Someone please fill me in!!! I want to use one for my 59 bassman ri.:confused:

• Members
Originally posted by vancleaf

I always hear alot of dudes say don't use one cuz you'll ruin your amp...blah blah. Never heard any actual occurences of an amp being ruined by one. I do know that it cant be under like 80 volts or some {censored}....Someone please fill me in!!! I want to use one for my 59 bassman ri.
:confused:

Very hard on the tubes for one thing. And we all know that a bad power tube is capable of doing major damage to an amp in certain instances. Plus it sounds like crap,IMO.

• Members

V

You'd be better off using a hot plate, set to load, and & sending the output to another amp. The Variac set to a lower voltage (like evh used to do) basically reduces the amout of headroom the tubes have so it distorts quicker / more.

By diming your bassman into a hotplate used as a load, then using another amp to get the volume you need is "essentially" doing the same thing. Sort of. It IS safer than the variac, though.

Cheers, Bro.

• Members

Originally posted by billybogner

V

You'd be better off using a hot plate, set to load, and & sending the output to another amp. The Variac set to a lower voltage (like evh used to do) basically reduces the amout of headroom the tubes have so it distorts quicker / more.

By diming your bassman into a hotplate used as a load, then using another amp to get the volume you need is "essentially" doing the same thing. Sort of. It IS safer than the variac, though.

Cheers, Bro.

Hey whats up BB?:wave:....So your saying output of amp into hotplate, hotplate output to another amp...could I run it into any amp?

• Members

If I do get one, I would use it within the reasonable range...I guess like 90 volts or so... what could happen at this level?

You'd go through tubes faster. Some vintage amp users simply use a variac to get the right volts that the amp was designed for. Back then the standard home outlet was only around 110 volts. Now a lot of homes and clubs have power up to 115 - 120 volts or more.

• Members

Heh! still have'nt heard stories about amp damage. Has anyone heard of damaging an amp when used at "reasonable" levels?

Well,change your power tubes about every 8 hours and you'll probably be fine. Sounds like you want to use one. Do so at your own risk. Of course,there is still the crappy tone that goes along with it.

• Members

Originally posted by blargh

What exactly are you trying to achieve by using it? It's not the magic key to the Van Halen tone, whatever you may think.

I like my tone...just need it a bit lower...volume can be unreasonably loud to get decent od. Not tryin to cop evh:rolleyes: ...hahaha...just want to lower it a few decibles for decent band volume.

• Members

I like my tone...just need it a bit lower...volume can be unreasonably loud to get decent od. Not tryin to cop evh:rolleyes: ...hahaha...just want to lower it a few decibles for decent band volume.

Well,use a soak instead. It won't sound as mushy either.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Exactly. Too many people listen to Eddie's babble instead of the people who were actually behind most of it.

Yeah eddie always says "keep it simple" but still had a really whacky complex set up...at least from the pictures I've seen here. I'm just runnin an eq into the amp for xtra od, but is only avail. at higher volumes...I just want to keep my tone, but at lower volumes.

Archived