FREE Epiphone Zakk Wylde guitar!!!

4nkam

• Members

Originally posted by inferno79

No sane business person will give 300-500$ per small order away. This will ruin anyone in no time, just ask GM. En plus, I don't see much benefit for them if this marketing blitz was legit anyway. Very, very, very slim chance anyone will get a guitar. Much greater chance the web guy {censored}ed up the ad and it's actually just a lottery for 10 guitars or something. Or even a total scam or the site has been hacked etc. I mean, delivery in march... come on!

I have no problem passing up on those once-in-a-lifetime deals (usually from Nigeria
:D
) on the internet because more than 99 out of 100 are scams. Simply not worth the risk at all.

It's all the time the same with those internet scams: make people greedy and they'll send out money without a second thought.

Ok, but what you are saying is that not just one or two or three or four, but at least five sites could have been hacked at the same time in order to get this "scam" perfected? I can attest as an admin on three of the sites in question that they weren't hacked and that it is NOT a scam.

sanz

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by inferno79

No sane business person will give 300-500$ per small order away. This will ruin anyone in no time, just ask GM. En plus, I don't see much benefit for them if this marketing blitz was legit anyway. Very, very, very slim chance anyone will get a guitar. Much greater chance the web guy {censored}ed up the ad and it's actually just a lottery for 10 guitars or something. Or even a total scam or the site has been hacked etc. I mean, delivery in march... come on!

Yeah, thats what I thought when I read this thread title and first post. The official zakkwylde website site admin made a special announcement post and clearly did not error in the ad. From his post:

"Merry Christmas from 357 Choppers! To ring in 2006 and our new marketing campaign, we're giving YOU the Black Label fans, the ultimate 357 opportunity.

For a LIMITED TIME ONLY with the purchase of one of our three new Zakk Wylde diecast/gift certificate packs, you will recieve a FREE Epiphone Zakk Wylde signature model Les Paul guitar. "

"This is NO B/S, folks. For a $132.05 purchase you will recieve a $100 357 Chopper Gift Certificate and a Zakk Wylde 357 Chopper Diecast Collectable, and the ultimate item...an Epiphone Zakk Wylde signature model gutiar. This is not a special run of these guitars...this is the right-off-the-shelf signature Epiphone model.

Guitars will be shipped out in March. Once you've made your purchase you will recieve your gift certificate and your diecast chopper as well as a certificate to recieve your new guitar from 357 Choppers! "

Its Chad and from the offical Zakk website. I want to disbelieve it but I have a really hard time trying to disbelieve it at this point, yet I still have some skepticism. The whole shipped out in March thing has me pondering. If this was from some random website I'd say instant scam. But I dont know, things seem to be checking out.

• Members

Originally posted by JamesPeters

Ok I'm not going to say this is a scam, but when I see things like this:

"This is NO B/S"

"for $132 bucks, i think it's worth the risk"

...I mean, does that remind you of anyone?
:D

US Pres George W. Bush?

Take Care

• Members

I have done a little more checking into this and now I think it is legit as well. I bypassed all the links that were provided on this thread, did a google search for 357 Customs and went straight to their site, no links clicked. Then I clicked on shop at the top of the page, then I clicked on 357 Gift Certificates and sure enough that deal is there as plain as day. Now the only question remains is 357 Customs a legit business? Or did someone at the company mess up and enter the info wrong. If so that is a lawsuit waiting to happen if guitars aren't shipped out.

• Members

Originally posted by Songman68

I have done a little more checking into this and now I think it is legit as well. I bypassed all the links that were provided on this thread, did a google search for 357 Customs and went straight to their site, no links clicked. Then I clicked on shop at the top of the page, then I clicked on 357 Gift Certificates and sure enough that deal is there as plain as day. Now the only question remains is 357 Customs a legit business? Or did someone at the company mess up and enter the info wrong. If so that is a lawsuit waiting to happen if guitars aren't shipped out.

the Epi site has it the other way around...buy a guitar and get a diecast free....

• Members

Originally posted by Songman68

They have a logo on the page saying it is a secure site
seal_volusion1_drk_blue1.gif

When you click on the logo it says it is a secure site.

I think it'd be pretty easy to fake that. What counts to me is the httpS in the address bar, and they don't have it. Anybody can put a link up on their page...

• Members

I don't know, I am a little hesitant too, but it is probably two different promos that's all I can say. All I know is it is actually on 357 Customs site. I went directly to the site without clicking on any provided links and it is there plain as day. The only question I have now is about the legitimacy of 357 Customs, not of the promo. However I don't think Zakk Wylde would be involved with them if they weren't a legitimate business.

Do a google search for yourself on 357 Customs, then once you get to the site click on shop at the top of the page, then click on gift certificates and it is there plain as day.

• Members

Okay, now I'm more convinced than ever that this is a website hack.

357customs appears to be a legit business/site but something's wrong with their checkout system. As Songman68 pointed out, they're supposedly using Volusion for their online store. Only problem is, when you get to the cart/checkout process, the website isn't using the "normal" HTTPS security scheme. Also, their cart pages are showing up as an IP address (64.49.233.159 is what I get) instead of the site name.

I went to the Volusion site and they have a list of client pages. I went to a few of them and started the checkout process and they all went to HTTPS right away and still showed the website name in the address bar, not some raw IP address.

It looks like a fairly elaborate and convincing hack to me. The checkout pages spoof the feel of the Volusion pages really well. I hope I'm wrong!

• Members

Everything you try to order from the site takes you to the same link, not just this offer. So it looks like the entire site is not secure. They are not listed on the Volusion site as a client either, plus all of the other sites that use Volusion do go to a secure site like Rog said. Maybe their entire shopping site has been hacked.

• Members

clicking through google to the shop, then clicking on the SSL logo 'to verify' brings up a legit looking pop up with:

Website Identity Confirmed at 12/10/2005 9:24:49 AM

Company: 357 Choppers

Address: 813 Orienta Ave.

Almonte Springs, FL 32701

United States

Telephone: 407-831-0357

Email: info@357customs.com

www.357customs.com has been validated to have a secure SSL certificate which provides industry standard data encryption of information transferred from your computer to the website.

• Members

I tried to call them but of course no one is answering today. My guess is they are off on weekends. I still think their entire web shop has been hijacked. I would feel safer talking to someone there first, and finding out if it is legit, and then place a telephone order if it is. To me though it looks like their site may have been hacked. My suggestion is to stay away from this deal, looks fake.

I will call them Monday morning and report it to them.

• Members

For what it's worth, I really think this is a scam for the following reasons...

1) No self-respecting online merchant would ever expect a customer to send their credit card info over unencrypted HTTP (TCP/80).

2) 357customs.com and 64.49.233.159 (the IP of the online store) are not registered to the same person, or even by the same company. According to the whois output, 357customs.com is registered to Chad Dyer of Naturally Wired Designs (via Network Solutions). 64.49.233.159, on the other hand, belongs to the World P2P.TV IP block (64.49.233.0 - 64.49.233.255). Who the {censored} is World P2P.TV? Sounds rather dubious to me...

3) As for the Volusion Certified Secure Site logo, I agree that 357customs.com probably is legitimately verified. However, 64.49.233.159 is NOT 357Customs.com. Anyone can place a link to the Volusion verified site window on their page. For example, I can even do it in this post...

LOOK!!! I'm 357customs.com and I'm a SECURE SITE!!!

My guess is that 357customs.com was recently attacked and the link to their store now points to a very convincing fake site. If I'm right, this is phishing at it's very best.

That being the case, I strongly urge everyone here to exercise caution when dealing with these guys.

Archived