Differences b/w Virus TI2 and TI Snow

Palaver

• Members

Hey guys,

I'm reading the specs on these synths and I can't help but notice the cost difference...

What does the TI2 desktop/keyboard versions do that the Snow can't? If the Snow is able to produce any sound that it's bigger brother can, then I don't see myself needing the TI2. I don't need to run a billion things at once, since I'd be tracking each part seperately, anyway.

The only spec that concerns me is the ROM. The TI2 Desktop/Polar/Keyboard has 1024 RAM and 3328 ROM sounds, while the Snow has 512 RAM and 512 ROM patches. Does this mean that the TI2 has more sounds than the Snow is capable of producing? Or does it just mean that the Snow is only capable of storing less sounds/patches?

In otherwords, since the Snow has less memory, can I just edit and keep only the sounds that I want? I wouldn't need the ablitity to store everything... I'm perfectly fine with making use of that room.

Is there anything that the Snow is missing besides some horsepower/memory and knobs? What's the big advantage of having the TI2 besides knobs?

Cheers,

PB

• Members

No difference in the sound-engine at all.

The only difference is the size of the RAM/ROM storage, as well the obvious stuff like less knobs, outputs, polyphony, multi-parts etc.

So just to reiterate, I can run the exact same sounds on the TI2 as on the Snow? I guess the ROM/RAM only means I can store more of the Virus soundset(s) at one time on the TI2?

If so... sweet.

Cheers,

PB

• Members

Well, polyphony is already a problem on my TI and I can't imagine having less unless it works for you to use less. - J.

What kind of patches are you running, and what kind of stuff are you doing for it to eat up all that DSP? I'm interested because if you play similar to myself... then the TI may not be right either. My dealer won't let me rent it (nor do they have it in stock), and I really have no way of knowing.

Cheers,

PB

• Members

Ambient, soundscape, scoring stuff in multi-mode with reverb. It's a prevalent problem and renders the TI almost useless in multimode for me - lots of pops, clicks, lock-ups, etc. Single mode is pretty much stable. The multi-mode does seem to work fairly problem-free with being light on the effects and short decay/release sounds. Having said that the TI is still my favorite synth... probably my desert island pick. - J.

• Members

Ambient, soundscape, scoring stuff in multi-mode with reverb. It's a prevalent problem and renders the TI almost useless in multimode for me - lots of pops, clicks, lock-ups, etc. Single mode is pretty much stable. The multi-mode does seem to work fairly problem-free with being light on the effects and short decay/release sounds. Having said that the TI is still my favorite synth... probably my desert island pick. - J.

So to further elaborate... a while ago I test drove a TI mk1 at the dealer here. I LOVE the sound. However, I didn't have the manual and I was just randomly going thru program banks, and twisting knobs. I'm confused as to what 'multimode' means.

Does multimode refer to using multiple patches at once? This is not a requirement for myself... I love thick lush pads, along with soaring leads and the like... I'd be doing it track by track into Ableton.

I guess my best bet, is to order in a Snow, and return it if it snaps and pops with my use... and just exchange it for a TI2 desktop. I'll see I guess.

Thanks for the help,

PB

• Members

Yes, multimode is pretty much the same as multitimbral mode, as it's known, on other synths. Also, in multimode you can modify the single program sounds you dial in per part and save them in their new sound setting without affecting the original single mode program's sound. - J.

• Members

Yes, multimode is pretty much the same as multitimbral mode, as it's known, on other synths. Also, in multimode you can modify the single program sounds you dial in per part and save them in their new sound setting without affecting the original single mode program's sound. - J.

Thank-you kindly, sir. Peace out.

• Members

I hope this question makes sense:

Is the problem in multimode that each patch tends to be a DSP hog and you just end up running out of voices or is the mere fact that the TI is running multiple timbres/channels the problem?

That is: would running 16 bone simple two oscillator/filter/maybe a chorus work well or would it still gum up as much as trying to run multiple pad patches with lots of chords?

• Members

I hope this question makes sense:

Is the problem in multimode that each patch tends to be a DSP hog and you just end up running out of voices or is the mere fact that the TI is running multiple timbres/channels the problem?

That is: would running 16 bone simple two oscillator/filter/maybe a chorus work well or would it still gum up as much as trying to run multiple pad patches with lots of chords?

Not sure. I guess it's reasonable to expect the less DSP hogging the less likely you'll encounter the glitches and thus your scenario would probably be an optimal situation (I haven't tried that and can't since I'm not at home).

There's a lot of talk about this over at the unofficial Virus Forum, www.infekted.org a lot of upset folks. It does affect me, but not a whole lot since I'm not using multimode much and when I do it's not the traditional way most people do.

BTW, the pops, clicks, etc. is NOT a result of lack of polyphony (that can cause some noises though). I can simply hold down a chord with 3 or so evolving drones and experience glitchy noises, pops, clicks, etc. And it's unpredictable... there are times when I don't get them under the same conditions.

J.

• Members

Numina, I don't know if this related, but I had a similar problem with my TI when I first got it. At first I had it off to the side somewhere and I was playing it from my KX88. No problems. Then I rearranged my stuff and wound up with the TI sitting directly on top of the right side of my KX. I started experiencing snaps and crackles and couldn't figure it out. I discovered that the snap/crackle/pop was directly related to having it sitting on my KX. I can't explain why. When I moved it off to the side again, all was well.

As trivial as it sounds, try moving your TI to a different spot. Set it on a stool by itself for a bit and see if the snaps go away.

• Members

As trivial as it sounds, try moving your TI to a different spot. Set it on a stool by itself for a bit and see if the snaps go away.

Wow! Interesting treatment. Yeah, I will. (I'm using the 61key version). Right now it's on the bottom tier of a 3-tier stand and is separated from any other gear by 8" or so all around. To be fair, I haven't had any pops/clicks recently (but I'm not using it multimode but will tinker with it tonight).

I've got an interesting, if not goofy, signal routing at the moment:

FIZMO-(1/4")->Waldorf Q-(SPDIF)-> PCM80-(SPDIF)->TI-(1/4")-> Mixer-(1/4")->MOTU i/f. Whew. No problems so far though.

J.

Archived