***Heaviest Amp Ever***

branjispad

• Members

You know, when it comes down to it, it's different strokes for everyone. All this talk about which amp's "heavier" or "thicker" or "clearer" is fine and dandy, but keep in mind my idea of a "heavy" amp is not necessarily the same as your idea, or the next guy's. Otherwise, there wouldn't be this many different amp manufacturers and models out on the market. Opinions are just that - opinions. ;)

-Mike

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

hell i ain't heard nothing as heavy as a boosted origonal jcm 800 2203 but i just picked up a peavey rockmaster and am trying to get that {censored} to sound heavy so i may want to change my nomination later but now it's boosted JCM Heavy enough for old thrash and death heavy enough for me BITCHES!!

• Members

The heaviest sound I've ever heard was a modded 5150 - that amp just {censored}ing destroyed anything we put next to it - to this day i have no idea what the {censored} was done to it completley - but i do believe it was running e34l tubes - had a replaced power tranny and was biased stupidly hot. . I played a stock 5150 the other day - and boy did that suck......at least down low it did anyway.

• Members

My Vetta II with a pair of Marshall 2x12 in wide stereo is {censored}ing CRUSHING, albeit completely inorganic. Silent, versatile, and used by Meshuggah. What more do you want?

My XXX's can get pretty brutal as well, although not very detailed. But for pure fury they are hard to beat. I prefer em to my old 5150.

I always felt that the Deizel was too midrange-y for true metal heaviness the way I like it, although its a beautiful sounding amp... same with Soldanos. Other people get great tone out of em, but they just don't do what I want. Same with Rivera. I had a Knucklehead that was great, just didn't do anything for me. VHTs and Bogner Ubershalls really get that tight thwack while retaining a bit of chime and detail.

I am looking to get an Uberschall for recording, to blend with the hammer of the gods that is the Vetta. Oddly enough, the Uberschall model is one of my favorites :)

• Members

Well I've been after the 'heaviest' (this means different things to different people...) amp after selling my Recto.

As many of you know I just bought the ENGL Savage 120. I don't know if it's the 'heaviest' amp but it is {censored}ing heavy. It has so many sounds that you can dial in. I love it cause its very tight and articulated. Part of being heavy for me is being able to track quickly and respond well to fast, aggressive playing. The savage does this very well.

oh, and it sounds great at low volume and AWESOME cranked. Beautiful!

• Members

* KRANK (yuck, but it's heavy)
* Knuckelhead II
* uberschall
* 5150 is pretty dang heavy
* Hughes and Kettner TriAmp MKII
* Powerball

Now if you're talking weight, my Road King combo would win for a guitar amp weighing in at around 120 pounds :eek: and the tone can get pretty heavy too.

• Members

Originally posted by branjispad

Not not how much it weighs! I'm talkin' pure m/:evil: m/ . We all go through a phase to where we want an amp that will eat your face off and channel the depths of hell everytime you strike a note.

So what's your take? More gain? More bass? More Crunch?

Keep in mind since we are getting evil here that its gonna have to handle tunings like B, A, and even G.

My vote is for the Uberschall. Possible even gen 2 over gen 3 because of the boomy bass that sounds like sonic booms.

Most metal, aggressive and tear off your face-5150, probably most gain IMO

Marshall DSL-most crunch, good balance, somewhere in between the 5150 and recto, but leaning more towards the 5150, capable of something close to the 5150 with presence and treble up it has a fizzy aggresive upper end like a 5150, but also has a thicker, wider bottom end, but also does all the old school tones as well, 2nd most gain IMO

Most heavy and bass-recto, however in this case its too heavy, the advantage is it moves plenty of air, but at the same time its too loose and doesn't follow you as quickly and the heavyness seems to drag down the upper end needed for a tear off your face sound, least gain

• Members

when i'm playing them:

cobra would have to be my top choice, for me it defines heavy guitar tone between my hand and ears

next in line would be the 5150, and then the recto

in clips/recordings:

uberschall hands down, they always sound mean and massive...i'd love to have a chance to play one at a decent volume

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by TexasDeathRide

Hey Wanky, put a boost in front of the recto and watch it tighten up and still kick you in the balls with the low end. I do it and my balls have never been the same. Stupid amounts of gain with a triple recto.

well I dont wanna to be kicked in the balls, i only need em to be shaking. I don't need Stupid amounts of gain, i only need enought to get the most crunch outta the amp, all the extra unnessesary gain turns the crunch into mud.

• Members
Originally posted by branjispad

sorry no solid state amps allowed
;)

I dont care if it is solid state, digital or tubes.... in fact I wish they could make a digital/solid state amp that is better than tubes. This way I wouldnt have to worry about tinkering with the amp. It would be plug and play.

As for the topic, I felt that the Bogner was extremely heavy, but unusable since it was so bass heavy. This is just my .02 based on owning one.

• Members

Originally posted by psychodave

I dont care if it is solid state, digital or tubes.... in fact I wish they could make a digital/solid state amp that is better than tubes. This way I wouldnt have to worry about tinkering with the amp. It would be plug and play.

As for the topic, I felt that the Bogner was extremely heavy, but unusable since it was so bass heavy. This is just my .02 based on owning one.

As a matter of fact I have an 80's something Roland Spirit 50 that blows away lots of tube amps and has great tone to boot, and is way better built than many new tube amps including my Blues Jr. and lots of Crate's of {censored}.

• Members

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by anti-flag193
I vote a boosted 2203, and no I'm not joking.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to second this.

To me, a heavy amp has a huge "grind" to it for lack of a better term. The ENGLs come close but are more compressed and don't have quite the grind.

I'm thinking of the intro to Accept's Balls to the Wall type tone....thick and heavy. Not the most aggressive but just heavy....and that's in standard tuning I think too

yep, I agree also.......

Archived