***Heaviest Amp Ever***

branjispad

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The amp with the most saturation that I've owned....... ENGL Powerball

The amp that hit me the hardest and put a beating on my speaker cab.... Orange AD 140 Twin Channel

I've owned all of these:

Diezel Herbert (latest version)
Diezel VH4
VHT Ultra-Lead (2 of them)
Mesa Triple Rectifiers (I can't count..too many)
Mesa Dual Rectifiers (I can't count 'em)
Mesa Mark IV (2 of them)
Bogner Uberschall ( 2 of the Rev 2's)
Peavey 5150

I can't think of any of the other stuff that I've had because it's too late and I had a long day.

G'night

Dale

• Members

The 5150 sound like poo compared to the Powerball when we played a gig :confused: :confused:

the 5150 even had a cab that is many times better thatn my powerball(sucky Laney cab with HH invaders..)

a cranked Jcm800 stack with EQ and Distortion/OD pedal sounds {censored}ing EVIL imo.. like it wants to hurt you or something

• Members

Originally posted by mentoneman

maybe a song like switchfoot "meant to live" would be cool.

alright you're out of the thread. CHristian Rock is not m/:evil:m/

Now I did have a Circle of Dust (Kind of a christian NIN type vibe) CD that was recorded with randalls and its GODly heavy. Maybe i need to try one of those out. I'm sur eit was the same as dimebag was using. What did he use again?

• Members

Originally posted by branjispad

anyone who said 5150 is pretty lame and has never A/B'ed it with a boutique amp. my uber ate the 5150 and {censored} it out like it wasn't even there. the 5150 is so thin and sterline and frankly {censored}ing sucks. that's why i got rid of it.

sick bro...

• Members

Originally posted by Digital Jams

So thicker and heavier does not make an amp better than another?? You explained you kept the 5150 due to the fact it was thicker.....so the ENGL is thinner??? Just trying to figure this out. I have been thinking of speaking to Derek about some things but now this may change things if the ENGL is thinner than the 5150.

it's not fact that it's thinner, it's an opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Originally posted by 50calexplorer

I don't know about heaviest, but I always thought Crowbar's tone on "Sonic Excess in it's Purest Form" was just heavy. They used Randall solid states so that gets my vote.

He actually uses old Randall rg100es amps boosted with a boss metalzone. :eek: It's a freakin heavy tone though, I agree.

• Members

Originally posted by anti-flag193

I vote a boosted 2203, and no I'm not joking.

I'm going to second this.

To me, a heavy amp has a huge "grind" to it for lack of a better term. The ENGLs come close but are more compressed and don't have quite the grind.

I'm thinking of the intro to Accept's Balls to the Wall type tone....thick and heavy. Not the most aggressive but just heavy....and that's in standard tuning I think too.

• Members

Originally posted by ranalli

To me, a heavy amp has a huge "grind" to it for lack of a better term. The ENGLs come close but are more compressed and don't have quite the grind.

I'm thinking of the intro to Accept's Balls to the Wall type tone....thick and heavy. Not the most aggressive but just heavy....and that's in standard tuning I think too.

I've heard alot of boosted jcm800 tones, and I'd say they're right up there.

• Members

Originally posted by ranalli

exactly. Even though there's not as much gain as most amps people would consider heavy, jcm 800's just give such a thick, girthy, full tone.

• Members
Originally posted by unclean hands

Its digital!!
:thu:

I don't draw much of a distinction between solid state and digital amplifiers for the most part. the power section is still originating from solid state origin, and in my opinion, that, more than anything is where the problem exists.

Archived