***Heaviest Amp Ever***

branjispad

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by branjispad

define how the herbert is heavier than the uber.

I've got both and I would have to say the Uber is heavier then the Herbert. The Herbert is definitely capable of similar ball-shaking low end grind, but the Uber is clearer and cuts better when it comes to pummeling chug.

Lead tones, clean tones and heavy rock tones are a different story though.

• Members

I would say the amp with the most and thickest gain is the 3 channel dual and tripple rectos. When you turn the gain on 10 in the modern mode, I have yet to hear a amp that competes with the shear amount of gain, whether or not you consider it useable or not.

For shear low end, and overall low low dark tone I would give it to the ubershall by a long shot.

And for the most ball shaking palm mute effect I give it to the powerball, again nothing I have ever tryed even compares to the palm mute of a powerball if you run the depth boost and bass high.

• Members

Originally posted by 50calexplorer

I don't know about heaviest, but I always thought Crowbar's tone on "Sonic Excess in it's Purest Form" was just heavy. They used Randall solid states so that gets my vote.

+1

i've never heard palm mutes like the ones on that album anywhere else. every one of them sounds like it could level a building.

• Members

uber is alot darker and more low mids, lows are just everywhere kind of like the wall of thickness like the recto vibe. Alot tighter than a recto with more upper mids on tap if you want that. But overall its still a very squishy / loose amp.

The powerball is MUCH brighter, WAY tighter and just more focused, they gain isnt as saturated or as overkill like on a recto or a uber. Both the uber and powerball are both very "heavy" lol and agressive amps, but they are very very different animals.

• Members
originally posted by branjispad

anyone who said 5150 is pretty lame and has never A/B'ed it with a boutique amp. my uber ate the 5150 and {censored} it out like it wasn't even there. the 5150 is so thin and sterline and frankly {censored}ing sucks. that's why i got rid of it.

I owned an Engl and the 5150 sounded thicker and heavier, and had more gain. Mine isn't sterile or thin, and frankly, it doesn't {censored}ing suck. :wave:

• Members

Originally posted by 50calexplorer

I don't know about heaviest, but I always thought Crowbar's tone on "Sonic Excess in it's Purest Form" was just heavy. They used Randall solid states so that gets my vote.

Whenever I saw them live, they were using 5150.

Archived