JMP 2203, the best Marshall ever?

2B

• Members

I've been through a lot of Marshalls during many years.

Including plexies and old non-master volume Marshalls, which I still have and use......

BUT, the 2203 is still just "it".

No fancy PTP, no cool "collectors value", or looks to kill (or make Your girlfriend wet ).

;):cool:

This amps tone just RIPS.

Someone else here who have the same experience or any other fave "special" Marshalls?

ROCK!!!

www.trendkillerweb.com:thu:

• Members

As far as I know, it is, unless you are one of those 62 Bluesbreaker fans. I was handed one of Clapton's auctioned off guitars and was plugged into an original Bluesbreaker combo, but it was too damn loud, when set up identically to Clapton's settings, for me to be comfortable playing it,(no earplugs, no drummer to play with, and in a room too small for it's volume), so I still think the 1979 JMPII is the best Marshall in my experience.

• Members

Hi Paragraph51.

There You go.

Excactly what I'm talking about.

I've used old non-master Marshalls, and the killer range of Germino amps.

All is good, but the volume of a cranked non-master amp is just ok for "outdoor gigs".

Btw, I "hate" anything called "power attenuator", whatever make it kills tone. IMHO.

• Members

Originally posted by 2B

Hi Paragraph51.

There You go.

Excactly what I'm talking about.

I've used old non-master Marshalls, and the killer range of Germino amps.

All is good, but the volume of a cranked non-master amp is just ok for "outdoor gigs".

Btw, I "hate" anything called "power attenuator", whatever make it kills tone. IMHO.

There's nothing like an amp that needs to be so loud to hit it's sweet spot that it turns what should be the apex of pleasure and enjoyment into a form of self punishment. It's psychologically traumatizing to induce pain when the goal is playing for enjoyment. It gives you shell shock.

• Members

Hi Sick.

The 2204 is a great amp.

I used one years ago with my 2203 in a two-amp setup.

That setup was "it".

"Strat and LP's, MXR "Micro Amp", RAT, MXR 10-band eq, Echoplex, 2203/2204 and old 412 Marshalls....".

Darn, I guess I have to go back!:D:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Paragraph51

There's nothing like an amp that needs to be so loud to hit it's sweet spot that it turns what should be the apex of pleasure and enjoyment into a form of self punishment. It's psychologically traumatizing to induce pain when the goal is playing for enjoyment. It gives you shell shock.

:D :D :D

• Members

Originally posted by 2B

Hi Sick.

The 2204 is a great amp.

I used one years ago with my 2203 in a two-amp setup.

That setup was "it".

"Strat and LP's, MXR "Micro Amp", RAT, MXR 10-band eq, Echoplex, 2203/2204 and old 412 Marshalls....".

Darn, I guess I have to go back!
:D:thu:

:) Thats a nice simple rig that sounds asskicking!

It is a great amp! But Olaf insists I send it out to him for some nice modifications, so, I dont want to piss him off so I guess I will ! ;)

• Members

Hi Sick.

:) I guess Olaf would make a good amp even better, I've got the impression that he is real good with his work.

Why not just do it?

I've done a VERY minor mod into my old 2203, it has slightly more gain than stock. Just a couple of small parts changed years back by an "amp-tech friend".

Doing this mod was a very cool experience. I was playing the amp (on and off). It was like, "Torbj

• Members

Originally posted by Karloff

I heard the JMP head makes good poweramp.True?

Yes. Sort off.

For my experinence I used 2204 and 2203 amps with some mods.

A rack with Mesa Studio PreAmp, Huges&Kettner "Metal Master" pre-amp, Lexicon reverb, all into a Mesa "Midi Matrix".

Then the pre-amps from the modded Marshalls also went into the Matrix. (With added trannies for hum-reduction and "isolation").

All powered by the Marshalls "poweramp section". This set-up sounded great ( like a 4 amp set-up).

Years ago I just went back to one "simple amp", and my "one or two" years with this racks just went by ...To much stuff to drag along.

• Members

Originally posted by Duesentrieb

LOL

Im back in the green again. I can sent this thing out any time now.

(Probably I should just remove the chassis and then send the "amp" part).

I need your Address Olaf. I have "an" address for you, but it might be wrong. Can you send me a PM.....

• Members

I love the 2203 but my fave Marshall is the 2555 Jubilee or Slash. It has the power section of the 2203 but a very different preamp. I don't care about the diode clipping, it sounds great to me. I always had to punch up a 2203 with a pedal for more gain for leads anyway. The Jubilee has just the right amount of gain for me, no pedals required...well, I do use a Seymour D. Pickup booster for my Strat.

I really don't like the newer Marshalls to include the JCM900's. They just don't have that big huge fat punch that a 2203 or Jubilee can put out.

• Members

Originally posted by Sick Michael

Im back in the green again. I can sent this thing out any time now.

(Probably I should just remove the chassis and then send the "amp" part).

I need your Address Olaf. I have "an" address for you, but it might be wrong. Can you send me a PM.....

Sure, Mike.

• Members

Hi Viperdc

I do not use any boost on the 2203 anymore. (I have other amps for the "high-gain" stuff).

But years back my fave boost was an old MXR 10 band eq. I gave the front end of the 2203 a little kick with some mid-boost.

Good tone!

For leads I just used a RAT or a MXR "Micro Amp" (clean boost).

T.

Archived