Just got a Crate GT65

chinaface

• Members

I walked into my local pawn shop today and I see this crate gt65. The price tag on it was $149 so I bought it. I tested it out and everything was working. I'm just wondering if I made the right choice. This crate is so huge compared to my old amp. The amp I had was a 10watt dinosaur practice amp. Did I do the wrong thing by buying this crate amp? I just want an opinion =(.

• Members

No, not a bad amp at all, especially for that price.

Beware though, the Crate bashers and tube snobs are gonna start taking shots at you. :mad:

I recently got a Crate GFX212. Basically the same amp as yours, but with 2x12 speakers and digital effects. By far the best sounding solid state amp I've ever played.

Have fun,

Jerry

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by chinaface

I walked into my local pawn shop today and I see this crate gt65. The price tag on it was $149 so I bought it. I tested it out and everything was working. I'm just wondering if I made the right choice. This crate is so huge compared to my old amp. The amp I had was a 10watt dinosaur practice amp. Did I do the wrong thing by buying this crate amp? I just want an opinion =(.

It's a good amp, but the weak link is the speaker. Replace that with a decent speaker and the amp will do you proud. Take it to a music store and try out some guitar cabs with it and see which speakers work best with it. Then look for a used but 100% functional raw driver of the type used in the cab you liked best to replace the stock speaker with. Not that you really need to, but that's what I'd do. Of course, a speaker will perform different in an open back combo than in a sealed 4x12 cab, but the mids and high end will be very similar and that's where it counts.

Archived