Using a bass amp for guitar ampeg v4b

peders

• Members

Well the V4B and the V4 are identical except that the V4B doesn't have reverb. Great sounding bass and guitar amps.

Traditionally though, some bass amps use different filtering on the tone stacks to accent different frequencies and they tend to have more clean power. This is accomplished by (not always) solid state rectifiers and large filter capacitance.

-Zach Omega

• Members

That's strange, because his has reverb, but also says v4"B" on it. Maybe it was modded or something, I don't know. It does sound nice through his guitar, but he can't seem o get it to distort.

I have always wondered about this, thank you for explaining it to me.

I have also heard of folks playing guitar through a fender bassman, maybe they are similar to a guitar amp as well.

• Members

A V4B with reverb...Interesting. Ampeg did a lot of screwy things with their amps towards the late 70's...So it could very well be stock. All the same, the V4's are very loud and very clean. By the time they are breaking up, you have already lost 90% of your hearing.

-Zach Omega

• Members

it'll distort, you just need to turn it up. i mean *way* up. but once it starts singing, it's pretty amazing sounding. the v-4 is my favorite guitar amp next to hiwatts.

as for the difference between the v-4 and v-4b, it's a difference in the preamp voicing. mainly, the bass, treble, etc. knobs and rocker switches are centered on different frequencies. and the v-4b usually doesn't have reverb.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

I have two peavey 412 cabs which i will occasionally hook my v4b with and i love the tone. The Break-up, when kranked near or all the way up provides which a nice level of dist which sounds very marshall plexi like. However, I find troubles when looking for different tone i like.

Archived