Do you really need an amp?

james on bass

• Members

My guitarist just bought a Pod XT Live. He doesn't like his amp and wants to get a new amp and cab.

Since the XT Live will model pretty much anything, I told him to sell his Marshall and just buy a power amp since the Pod is essentially a preamp.

Does anyone in the guitar world on here do this?

• Members

Originally posted by mister kyo

i'd tell him to try the poweramp setup extensively before selling his marshall

He's going to borrow a QSC RMX850 tomorrow off a friend to try it out.

I have no experience with those kind of effects, but it looks to me like it will take awhile to figure out the POD completely to be able to use it as his preamp and effects unit. It should theretically be able to function as that though correct?

• Members
Originally posted by KirkHammett1

I've seen people just hook directly to the PA with one of those live. Definately not as rockin as having a half stack behind you though.
:(

A fair number of guys in the bass forum do that - hell, even Geddy got rid of his amps and just goes straight to the board. Then again, we (bass players) tend to find our tone and stay with it and don't really require effects throughout tunes.

In the bars we play, we generally use stage sound and a small PA for vocals and kick drum, so he will have a stack behind him still. I just don't see the need for him to invest in a new amp that will effectively be only supplying power for his POD.

• Members

Woah! Avatar doppleganger! :freak:

I've been thinking along those lines since I decided to get a Korg AX3000G to replace my pedalboard and control my Triamp's channel-switching. But realistically, I can't see any amount of digital processing superceding the sound of a real tube amp. We'll see.

• Members

If the Marshall in question has a poweramp in or effects return jack he should try plugging the Pod into that. If its an older Marshall without a loop then he could just try using the amps input. I had a Line 6 modelling pedal (the red one with 4 stomp switches) and used that directly into my Marshalls input. Sounded pretty good like that but, digital was'nt my thing so, I went back to the real tube amp sounds.

• Members
Originally posted by james on bass

That rig works well for you Hal? That's pretty close to what he's looking at.

POD XT Live into a power amp into one of his Marshall 410's, and selling the other 410 for an Avatar 212HSpecial. Maybe sell both his Marshall cabs and go into 1 Avatar 412.

Yeah, it works well and sounds good. I'm not fond of the sterile feel of the modelers, but it really depends on what you're used to. Also, I prefer this method for overall tone even though it's easier to run straight into the PA. Plus, I can't be sure that I'll have decent monitoring wherever we play, so I'd rather have my monitoring on stage with me, and let the sound guy mic my cab.

• Members

I know a band around here that runs everything through the PA, electronic drums, guitar pres to the PA, bass pres to the PA, Keyboard through the PA. they have no amps what so ever.

I haven't heard them play though, but the guy I know says its really nice especially with the drums since they can turn down a little more compared to using Acoustic drums.

• Members

i would also try running the POD into the marshall's effects return (preferrable) or input jack...assuming it's a tube model, otherwise he'd probably be better off with something like the qsc (my bassist has the rmx 1450 btw, great amps for the $$$)

i went from a tube halfstack to digital for a while, and ended up going back...nothing rocks out like a good tube amp, i do still keep my v-amp around for late night jamming and recording tho

• Members

when I tried it with my Carvin T100 Tube powereamp and 1*12 1912 marshall cab the result was really nice.
the thing that bothers me with modelers is that the cab sim seems to make it digital and less organic while without the cab sim the sound gets fuzzy and buzzy.
I had to set presets without the cab sim. to have a good sound but it's possible.
It's a nice, small, all-in-one rig.
a tube poweramp should give good results with a 4*12 behind.

Archived