KOT: The RUSH appreciation thread.

dreamspace

• Members

amazing band, one of my favorites... :)

oh and...

I like their 80s synth pop albums(as well as the older more proggy...but I like those from the 80s best)

Geddy = GREAT voice/singer.

:mad:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No it isn't over. :wave:

However, Rush is 2nd on my all-time disappointment list and I say that with sadness. They went from being a guitar-based band with occasional keyboards to a keyboard-based band with occasional guitars. Right after "Moving Pictures", Alex Lifeson stopped being a guitar hero and his style and tone changed completely. It's as if he discovered the music of "The Police" and "U2" and modeled his style after Andy Summers and The Edge.

I'll proudly say that 70's Rush was fantastic. IMO, "Moving Pictures" was the last great Rush album. I did see the 30th anniversary tour a couple of years ago after ignoring them for a couple of decades and they were great. It was terrific that they pulled out lots of old tunes out of the vault and played them without missing a beat.

"All The World's A Stage" is definately a top 10 album for me.

• Members

Even though I'm a huge fan of older Rush, my favorite album is Signals..........but that has a lot to do with the memories that I have tied to it at the time. It was just the coolest {censored} cruising along in my first car listening to Signals...........not to mention all of the other activities I enjoyed in that car with Signals playing in the background. LOL.

rockfish

• Members
Originally posted by TheAtomicJeff

No it isn't over.
:wave:

However, Rush is 2nd on my all-time disappointment list and I say that with sadness. They went from being a guitar-based band with occasional keyboards to a keyboard-based band with occasional guitars. Right after "Moving Pictures", Alex Lifeson stopped being a guitar hero and his style and tone changed completely. It's as if he discovered the music of "The Police" and "U2" and modeled his style after Andy Summers and The Edge.

I'll proudly say that 70's Rush was fantastic. IMO, "Moving Pictures" was the last great Rush album. I did see the 30th anniversary tour a couple of years ago after ignoring them for a couple of decades and they were great. It was terrific that they pulled out lots of old tunes out of the vault and played them without missing a beat.

I love their music from the first album (even without Neil playing drums :eek: ) all the way to Signals, though I like some songs here and there off most of their other albums, but it's more because of keyboard dominance and the lyric-writing changes that I'm not really too into those later albums. I think Lifeson's been great at taking influences along the time and finding ways to integrate them with his own playing, but I also like some older Police and U2 songs. :D

Still, I have to give props to them the whole way through and how they've explored so much musical territory. And they've gotten rid of a lot (if not about all) of the keyboard action at least on the last couple albums and have a lot more raw sound.

• Members
Originally posted by 46&2

I love just about everything that Lifeson has done. He's one of the few with the balls to evolve and explore totally new directions. Some people can't deal with that and it's too bad.

I'm admittedly not really into too much keyboard-ladden music, but I've always liked Alex's playing and the way he could find good tones out of ss as well as tube amps and likely could find a way to get good tone out of a shoebox. :D

• Members

They were a huge influence on me as a young lad,...I played bass and Geddy was one of my idols. I loved everything they did up until "Power Windows" then they lost me.

Still one of best bands in the history of rock IMO. I don't think they get the respect that they deserve either.

• Members

I started following Rush right around 2112. And as much as I love their old stuff and hate their new stuff, I also think Signals is their best release. There are some great solo's and tones on that album. Unfortunately that also included "new world man" which I absolutely hate and it took them to a different type of "top 40" status.

That song seemed to launch their progression into sequencers, tinny guitar sounds, arpeggiated chords, and pointless whammy bar solos. I've been disappointed since then, although Feedback was interesting

• Members

Originally posted by 46&2

I love just about everything that Lifeson has done. He's one of the few with the balls to evolve and explore totally new directions. Some people can't deal with that and it's too bad.

I agree. But then again I like synth stuff too. The newer material hasn't really done much for me, possibly partly because the mixing on Vapor Trails for example doesn't seem that great and the guitar tones are pretty fuzzy.

One thing I love about Rush is that each album offers something different, without still wandering too far away from the things that made the band great to begin with.

Pearts live drum solos are also cool for a non-drummer for me because unlike most drum solos, they are not just a "look how fast and technical I can play" thing.

My favorite Rush albums are Moving Pictures, Hemispheres and Grace Under Pressure.

• Members

I started getting into Rush when Exit Stage Left came out. I really like about 80% of their stuff. I admit I wasn't into the 80s Synth stuff at the time but now I think Singals is one of their best albums. And the other synth albums all had 2 or 3 great songs on them.

Although Lifeson started playing less solos I think he had some great solos in the 90s. "Cut to the Chase" on Counterparts could be his best ever.

• Members

Hell yeah!!!! Rush is easily my favorite band of all time. I've seen them live 15 times and they NEVER dissapoint. I can honestly say that I like all of their music, but here are my top 5 albums:

- All the World's a Stage
- Hemispheres
- Signals
- Grace Under Pressure
- Moving Pictures

• Members
Originally posted by wor lez

Truly awesome band. I saw them on the R30 tour, and it was without doubt one of the best concerts I've been to. Such a full sound for a 3 piece band too.

Also saw them on the R30 tour. If you like Rush, you definitely need to see them live. :thu:

• Members

Rush is definantly one of my favorite bands. I couldn't stand them in the 80's when I was listening to alot of hair metal. Geddy's voice got on my nerves and I thought they weren't heavy enough.
When my musical tastes broaded, I realized how amazing the band as a whole is. To me, they are a great prog band that doesn't sound too prog. I love the lyrics too. It's nice to hear intellegent lyrics with a positive message. Rush can do no wrong in my book.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members
Originally posted by TheAtomicJeff

No it isn't over.
:wave:

Yup, that sums it up for me as well.

Archived