Anybody know anything about HAM radio? (extremely annoying neighbor content)

thriftyshirt

• Members

Heres an evil plan for ya. Buy a Tesla Coil and hook it up to the wire going into his house from the antenna. Wait till you know he's got the {censored} turned on. Then fire up the coil and laugh as you see bright blue flashes in the window and all his {censored} melts under the assault of a million volts of electricity.

-Joe

• Members

Originally posted by -=MYK=-

Just call the FCC.

If he does a thing call the cops.

Never let assholes walk all over you.
:mad:

Like i said if it was just me, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but my girlfriend who live here as well is terrified of what he'll do to her or the house, when i'm not home.

I've got a couple of guns in the house, 2 shotguns, a hunting rifle, and a .38, so i'm prepared if he ever became violent or tried to burn the house down or something, but my girlfriend can't hand the harrassment this guy is capable of dishing out. She's the one who says just deal with it and leave him alone.

• Members

Originally posted by OverDriven

Heres an evil plan for ya. Buy a Tesla Coil and hook it up to the wire going into his house from the antenna. Wait till you know he's got the {censored} turned on. Then fire up the coil and laugh as you see bright blue flashes in the window and all his {censored} melts under the assault of a million volts of electricity.

-Joe

This is the best course of action mentioned so far. AND MAKE SURE YOU FILM IT!

• Members

Originally posted by thriftyshirt

So our next door neighbor has a Massive HAM radio tower in his backyard, and is on the thing all the time, especially in the evenings.

When he's on it, his voice comes through the computer speakers, stereo, {censored}s up the television reception, and sometimes through guitar amps, although not that often.

He uses a scrambler of some kind on his signal, so i can't even evesdrop on his conversations, so its no fun at all.

Does anybody know of any kind of device I can get for my home that will stop the interference coming from this guy?

I'd even be happy with something that could block or scramble his signal completely from next door, as I completely hate that asshole for many reasons.

Humorous anecdote:

A friend left this 80's POS Peavey SS combo at my house, and I was {censored}ing around with it, and asshole next door got on his horn. Its coming through the thing loud, and really distorted. So I set the amp up on a chair so it was level with the window facing his house, opened the window (but left the shade closed so no one could see in), and cranked the amp. So everytime he would talk, he would hear his own scrambled signal blaring back at him from next door. I left it like that and went to the store for about an hour. When I got home, he was done with his "toy" for the day and didn't get on it again. I wonder if he ever figured out what it was.....
:D

call the FCC. If he is coming in on all those devices he is likely stealing bandwidth. There are strict regulations on what you can/cannot use in residential neighborhoods, for this very reason. He could be using commercial equiptment not authorized for residential use.

• Members

Originally posted by SkidMarx

call the FCC. If he is coming in on all those devices he is likely stealing bandwidth. There are strict regulations on what you can/cannot use in residential neighborhoods, for this very reason. He could be using commercial equiptment not authorized for residential use.

read further down...

• Members

They want a name and address...

Name: P.W. Herman

Address: find a vacant lot in the area...

Do all the calling from pay phones...

If none of that works, and I hate lying and stuff, but mention you heard something about "jihad", "GW has a little penis", "bomb", or what not, be creative, coming through your electronics and that you think someone in your area has a HAM tower and if they think that might be related. Now, hopefully the jihad-related charge doesn't stick, but I'd put money on it that they'd look into this fellow and his setup a little more. You think with all the craziness in this country about terrorists they could afford to let something slide?

Now, it's not ethical, and I'd wrestle with myself to do it, but if this is the type of guy that's threatening people and treating that lady as you say... and the law does nothing of it... it all gets to grey area.

• Members

there's power in numbers. you and your gf (and neighbors) have every right (even duty) to complain.

i'm not joking on this...call the local media. tell them the complete story and how intimidating the guy is and how frustrating the 'powers-that-be' are.

the FCC is very powerful, but they too have to follow rules and have their own policies...fine.

the media can be just as (if not more so) powerful! use it!!!!

get a group of neighbors to make the same complaint and have the local media (paper, news, editorials etc -even all of them) to actually make the complaint to the FCC.

there's power in numbers. the guys will be forced to comply to the laws that everyone else has to, or pay the price...just like everyone else.

• Members

Originally posted by mylzenmylz

there's power in numbers. you and your gf (and neighbors) have every right (even duty) to complain.

i'm not joking on this...call the local media. tell them the complete story and how intimidating the guy is and how frustrating the 'powers-that-be' are.

the FCC is very powerful, but they too have to follow rules and have their own policies...fine.

get a group of neighbors to make the same complaint and have the local media (paper, news, editorials etc -even all of them) to actually make the complaint to the FCC.

there's power in numbers. the guys will be forced to comply to the laws that everyone else has to, or pay the price...just like everyone else.

This is a better, more ethical thing to do than my suggestion... cheers.

• Members

This is very true.. although my vote is still for the tesla coil solution.

But if EVERYONE in the neighbourhood complains at the exact same time, whats he gonna do? harrass the entire neighbourhood? Try to beat up everyone? I dont think so. He'd probably move. if you all harrass him enough about it.

• Members

Originally posted by StevieRaveOn

...If none of that works, and I hate lying and stuff, but mention you heard something about "jihad", "GW has a little penis", "bomb", or what not, be creative, coming through your electronics and that you think someone in your area has a HAM tower and if they think that might be related. Now, hopefully the jihad-related charge doesn't stick, but I'd put money on it that they'd look into this fellow and his setup a little more. You think with all the craziness in this country about terrorists they could afford to let something slide?

Now, it's not ethical, and I'd wrestle with myself to do it, but if this is the type of guy that's threatening people and treating that lady as you say... and the law does nothing of it... it all gets to grey area.

As much as I hate to admit this...it was my first thought...but that Tesla coil idea seems pretty sweet, too, especially if you provide clips of it for the rest of us to enjoy!!!

• Members

Neighbors from hell really suck.

Is your girlfriend the one I met? The singer in your band? She's a sweetheart. I feel bad for you about the neighbor. If it was a nerdy old dude you could probably work something out. I like what the other poster said about the PW Herman and the payphone thing. Throw in some jihad and you're good to go.

How's your band doing anyway? I was going to look you up in November when I was down there but got too busy with my condo repairs. I did get over to Churchills and had a blast.

• Members

good post,

about every FOX CHANNEL i've seen has some little segment where they go hassle people for this kind of stuff.

• Members

Originally posted by STRAT TOOL

Neighbors from hell really suck.

Is your girlfriend the one I met? The singer in your band? She's a sweetheart. I feel bad for you about the neighbor. If it was a nerdy old dude you could probably work something out. I like what the other poster said about the PW Herman and the payphone thing. Throw in some jihad and you're good to go.

How's your band doing anyway? I was going to look you up in November when I was down there but got too busy with my condo repairs. I did get over to Churchills and had a blast.

Yeah, she's the one.

Band's doing great, we're actually playing a "showcase" type gig for an industry heavy hitter (grammy winnning producer who's starting his own label) this saturday. Its kind of hush, though, as he doesn't want anybody to know he's there.

We played a gig in South Beach last month, and Pharrell Williams was there. He came up to me afterwards and said that it was "pretty cool" and that my girlfriend/our singer had a "hot ass". :D

• Members

Yeah, she's the one.

Band's doing great, we're actually playing a "showcase" type gig for an industry heavy hitter (grammy winnning producer who's starting his own label) this saturday. Its kind of hush, though, as he doesn't want anybody to know he's there.

We played a gig in South Beach last month, and Pharrell Williams was there. He came up to me afterwards and said that it was "pretty cool" and that my girlfriend/our singer had a "hot ass".

she's very easy on the eyes, you're a lucky dude. congrats on the showcase, I hope it gets you somewhere.

• Members

If none of that works, and I hate lying and stuff, but mention you heard something about "jihad", "GW has a little penis", "bomb", or what not, be creative, coming through your electronics and that you think someone in your area has a HAM tower and if they think that might be related. Now, hopefully the jihad-related charge doesn't stick, but I'd put money on it that they'd look into this fellow and his setup a little more. You think with all the craziness in this country about terrorists they could afford to let something slide?

I'd just say you heard something about a drug shipment. With the guy's record - the FBI and the FCC would be all over his ass.

• Members

So our next door neighbor has a Massive HAM radio tower in his backyard, and is on the thing all the time, especially in the evenings.

When he's on it, his voice comes through the computer speakers, stereo, {censored}s up the television reception, and sometimes through guitar amps, although not that often.

He uses a scrambler of some kind on his signal, so i can't even evesdrop on his conversations, so its no fun at all.

Does anybody know of any kind of device I can get for my home that will stop the interference coming from this guy?

I'd even be happy with something that could block or scramble his signal completely from next door, as I completely hate that asshole for many reasons.

Humorous anecdote:

A friend left this 80's POS Peavey SS combo at my house, and I was {censored}ing around with it, and asshole next door got on his horn. Its coming through the thing loud, and really distorted. So I set the amp up on a chair so it was level with the window facing his house, opened the window (but left the shade closed so no one could see in), and cranked the amp. So everytime he would talk, he would hear his own scrambled signal blaring back at him from next door. I left it like that and went to the store for about an hour. When I got home, he was done with his "toy" for the day and didn't get on it again. I wonder if he ever figured out what it was.....

this story is extremely funny to me for some reason. :D

• Members

Edited by shredhead666

• Members

As a licensed amateur radio operator I thought I would comment. This guy is definitely an ass and is responsible for his interference.

Here a link to the ARRL (Amateur Radio Relay League) radio frequency interference regulations page.

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/rfi-legal/

Lot of links and sources of info here both FCC and otherwise.

My recommendations:

1. Use the link I provided and get informed first of all.

2. If you've tried talking to him and he won't help call the FCC. Local regulations are generally pretty worthless. The feds could shut him down and/or hand out big fines.

3. Filters and shielding. There are some you can install that may help. There are those he can install that could help as well (if he will).

4. Find a another local ham operator or club in your area and ask them for help. Most hams are nice guys and helpful (although sometimes a bit geeky).

5. As a last resort, move.

While non-legal forms of retailiation may be gratifying, given this guys attitude I probably wouldn't recommend it. It could escalate in something much worse.

Dan

• 15 years later...
  • Members

I wish my neighbor would try to touch any of my equipment ! Besides the fact that it is a federal crime to interrupt communications , i would blow the back of his head out for him . Trespassing and vandalism , pure and simple !  Dont like it , get over it you {censored}ing crybabies and move to Canada .