Anybody know anything about HAM radio? (extremely annoying neighbor content)

thriftyshirt

• Members

So our next door neighbor has a Massive HAM radio tower in his backyard, and is on the thing all the time, especially in the evenings.

When he's on it, his voice comes through the computer speakers, stereo, {censored}s up the television reception, and sometimes through guitar amps, although not that often.

He uses a scrambler of some kind on his signal, so i can't even evesdrop on his conversations, so its no fun at all.

Does anybody know of any kind of device I can get for my home that will stop the interference coming from this guy?

I'd even be happy with something that could block or scramble his signal completely from next door, as I completely hate that asshole for many reasons.

Humorous anecdote:

A friend left this 80's POS Peavey SS combo at my house, and I was {censored}ing around with it, and asshole next door got on his horn. Its coming through the thing loud, and really distorted. So I set the amp up on a chair so it was level with the window facing his house, opened the window (but left the shade closed so no one could see in), and cranked the amp. So everytime he would talk, he would hear his own scrambled signal blaring back at him from next door. I left it like that and went to the store for about an hour. When I got home, he was done with his "toy" for the day and didn't get on it again. I wonder if he ever figured out what it was..... :D

• Members

jamming (messing up his signal) is illegal, and your ham neighbor most likely knows this already because it's part of what you learn to get your license. so... don't try to do that.

call your nearest FCC field office and talk to someone there.

• Members

My girls dad had this same problem... he'd be broadcasting and it'd {censored} his TV up royally and all sorts of stuff... him and a neighbor complained and police and such went down there and did some kind of signal measuring and he was waaay over the limit or whatever... so he had to take it down

hope that helps

• Members

He likely has his power boosted, I don't think he should be giving you such interference problems if he is broadcasting within legal limits although it is still possible he's legal. :rolleyes: The only time I ever saw this problem before the perp was using illegal booster equipment to jack his signal up, he would only run it for short periods because the FC was actively looking for him. The whole area was screwed up whenever he keyed his mike and he didn't give a rats ass because he thought he was cool. He finally stopped when my dad paid him a visit and told him he was going to shoot his antenna down everytime he pulled that crap during normal hours, which he did within hours. The perp called the Sheriff and ended up having his whole rig seized.

• Members
Originally posted by STRAT TOOL

I was behind a redneck looking pick up truck one day that had serious antennas on it. When the dude picked up his CB mic and started talking, it came through my car stereo. Here's the {censored}ed up thing. My stereo was off.

:eek:

• Members

Originally posted by BigBone

He likely has his power boosted, I don't think he should be giving you such interference problems if he is broadcasting within legal limits although it is still possible he's legal.
:rolleyes:
The only time I ever saw this problem before the perp was using illegal booster equipment to jack his signal up, he would only run it for short periods because the FC was actively looking for him. The whole area was screwed up whenever he keyed his mike and he didn't give a rats ass because he thought he was cool. He finally stopped when my dad paid him a visit and told him he was going to shoot his antenna down everytime he pulled that crap during normal hours, which he did within hours. The perp called the Sheriff and ended up having his whole rig seized.

yeah, i was thinking hes is boosting or amplifying that signal.

• Members

Originally posted by BigBone

He likely has his power boosted, I don't think he should be giving you such interference problems if he is broadcasting within legal limits although it is still possible he's legal.
:rolleyes:
The only time I ever saw this problem before the perp was using illegal booster equipment to jack his signal up, he would only run it for short periods because the FC was actively looking for him. The whole area was screwed up whenever he keyed his mike and he didn't give a rats ass because he thought he was cool. He finally stopped when my dad paid him a visit and told him he was going to shoot his antenna down everytime he pulled that crap during normal hours, which he did within hours. The perp called the Sheriff and ended up having his whole rig seized.

Excellent..

MY friend had a neighbor that had the same type of rig...every time he came on, the signal came through the tv phone stereo etc.

My buddy told him and he didn't care, so the next time he did it my buddy went into his backyard and grabbed the cable where it went throuth the wll and jerked as hard and fast as he could. He could hear all the HAM equipment hitting the floor. When the cable wouldn't pull any more he cut the cable off flush with the walll, then reached as high as he could on the tower and cut the cable up there.

He went and sat in his front yard and waited for the neighbor to come out but he never did.

The guy fixed the cable eventually, and not long after my buddy tied a rope to his antenna and pulled it down..the guy never said a word to him, and after a whil he got it fixed, but soon after got busted by the FCC.

• Members

Originally posted by Ruh916

Complain to the FCC?

Those dude's don't flip around, this might be a good idea. I had a teacher tell a story about when he was in the service running communications... they were tuning slightly lower than their assigned channel because they got a huge power boost, said later on some FCC guys walked on the base, in the room, and jacked their oscillators and told them they could have them back when they learned how to use them properly/responsibly... Total preschool teacher answer. The CO thought he was hot stuff and got humbled.

• Members

Originally posted by potaetoes

call your nearest FCC field office and talk to someone there.

+1

There is no reason that a properly run Ham rig should give you that much trouble.

My next door neighbor ran his all the time with a big antenna that was ~40" from my computer, amps, TV, etc. Never had any problems.

• Members

Originally posted by thriftyshirt

Humorous anecdote:

A friend left this 80's POS Peavey SS combo at my house, and I was {censored}ing around with it, and asshole next door got on his horn. Its coming through the thing loud, and really distorted. So I set the amp up on a chair so it was level with the window facing his house, opened the window (but left the shade closed so no one could see in), and cranked the amp. So everytime he would talk, he would hear his own scrambled signal blaring back at him from next door. I left it like that and went to the store for about an hour. When I got home, he was done with his "toy" for the day and didn't get on it again. I wonder if he ever figured out what it was.....
:D

Classic!!

THat reminds of the prank where you go through a drive-through and talk into the speaker with a megaphone.....that way you sound the same as they do.

• Members

Hey guys thanks for all the responses.

Here's a little more info on the situation that I didn't give in the original post:

The guy's tower is illegally boosted. A guy I know who's into HAM stuff said that his tower has the capability to broadcast 100% around the world and back to himself, which is wayyy more powerful than a residential, recreational tower is allowed to be.

However, other neighbors have called the FCC before on him, and all they do is show up at his house and issue a warning, and then he does nothing different.

The kicker is that to lodge an official complaint, the FCC needs to register YOUR name and address as the complaining party, and tells him who complained.

Now this guy is 6'8" about 280, and a felon and ex-con. We looked him up and found that he has literally dozens of arrests for Assault, Asault and Battery, Harrassment, etc.

So my girlfriend that I live with (just me and her) who is terrified of him refuses to let me call the FCC and complain because she is afraid of what he is capable of doing to her, us, or the house. I would go ahead and do it if it was just me, but she has a point, because i would worry about what he would say/do to her if I wasn't around.

There was a neighbor, as i said before, who called and lodged an official complaint about 2 years ago. She was a single mother who lived alone with her one kid. After the complaint, the guy got a warning, didn't do anything different with his signal, and on top of that, every time Asshole saw her outside her house he would run out on the lawn and scream at her calling her a "Fat {censored}, {censored}ing Stupid Whore, Bitch, Slut, etc." in front of her kid.

She called the cops and explained that he was harrassing her everytime she left her house. The cops showed up, he denied it, they gave him a warning anyway and left. The next night a brick came through their window at 2 a.m. Cops were called again, they said there was no way to prove it was him, could have been vandal kids...etc.

Plus the neighborhood is in a County Pocket, not technically incorporated to a city, so when you call the cops you get a County Sheriff, who takes about 45 min. to get here, and doesn't really give a {censored}.

Since the neighborhood is unicorporated, none of the city ordinances about broadcasting strength and signals apply. So the only people who should care about it are the FCC, and you can see what happens when you call them.... they tell the guy who called them and give him a warning.

Many nights i've thought about going over in the night and cutting his wires/pulling his tower down, but it would be a temporary fix, as he'd fix it within a week, and I'd be risking the law coming down on me if anyone saw me, and that {censored} just isn't worth it.

Its a really {censored}ty situation. My girlfriend has lived here for over 12 years, and is so upset and frustrated about the whole thing that she wants to move. I just hate the idea of letting this Asshole bully get his way.

At least if there was some way to block his tower from affecting our house, I would have to think about it/deal with it as much.

Archived