Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier - 2 channels vs. 3 channels

matt_v

• Members

I went to GC yesterday and found a Les Paul and plugged it into a 3-channel dual rec. I loved the sound, but after experimenting I found that channel 2 was my favorite, and that when switched to modern, there is a whole new world of distortion from 8-10 on the gain knob! HUGE bottom end and a bit fizzy too. It didn't seem as "saggy" as I've heard it is. I am not sure what all the switches on the back were turned to, so it may have been on different tube settings.

So I've heard that the 2-channel dual recs are better than the 3-channel ones. Is the 3rd channel an addition, or did they modify the original 2nd channel into 2 & 3 on the new ones?

I just know that I couldn't get enough of that 2nd channel, because going between modern, vintage and raw, I could get almost any distortion sound I wanted. Some day long in the future when I have money, I will own a Mesa Boogie amplifier.

• Members

i've always been interested in high gain tube amps, and i've always liked mesa boogie. i just know that i won't have the money any time soon to buy one of them, and also i don't need that kind of power at this point. but i do like to learn about them.

• Members

they're certainly two different beasts. i can't really tell which i liked better, be cause the circumstances were so different, and i like to get to know an amp when i turn it up to a decent volume or play in a mix. the recto certainly had a thickness and hugeness that i could get so addicted to, but the 5150 has that "grind" that is so talked about. i bet together they would sound amazing.

• Members

channel 3 modern is supposed to sound like channel 2 modern on the orginal two channel rectos.

Channel 2 modern on the 3 channel rectos is something that the orginal rectos really cant duplicate.

Yes the newer ones are fuzzier but I still like them better, more gain and more thickness to my ears. Plus the other channel is a complete nessasity for me.

• Members

The single rectifier is by far the best head out of the three. For one, it lacks the muddyness and noisyness of the dual and triple rectifiers. While the 50 tube watts are extremely loud (loud enough to keep up with any amp of a gigging band, even surpass it), they break up at a lower volume and sound better at a lower volume as they do when they are turned up as well. As the single has two channels, it has less circuitry and mess within the amp itself which provides a more pure and untouched tone. Along with the simplicity of the head and virtually the same features, you only have to worry about 2 power tubes and 5 preamp, rather than the loads of tubes that come with the dual and especially triple. Who needs 100-150 tube watts? 50 is plenty. Make the right decision, go for a single.

My Rig:

Mesa Single Rectifier

Bogner 4x10

Fender Telecaster-Brown Sunburst...

what great tone!

• Members

I tried the triple when I should try out the recto's. And as mentioned before, it was FULL of tubes; five preamptubes, 6 powertubes and 3 rectifiertubes! Well, tubes are good, no doubt about that! But not when it comes to changing them; expensive! Nevertheless, it wasn't the thing that made me not buy the triple. It was just too loud, couldn't cook the powersection as I wanted, without destroying my bandmates (and my own) eardrums. AND I didn't need all the features of the triple. Actually I like a more simple amp. Therefor I tried the Single recto, and that is my amp now! Love it; can drive the powersection as I want, and don't need more than a clean and a crunch channel. when soloing I step on my Boss OD-3 or my Carl Martin Hydra boost pedals, and off we go! That amp totally rocks! But it all depends on your needs, actually. Try them both, so you get an idea of what I and others are talking about.

B.R. andershoeg

• Members

I think the newer 3 channels are more refined. The older 2 channels can't touch the versitility of the newer ones. The new ones are slightly tighter while being a bit more fuzzy in ch 3, but on a whole, it's a better amp.

I still prefer the simplicity of the older heads because I only switch from orange to red.

• Members

well, since all this talk of single rectifiers has come up, i should mention that quite some time ago i played through a single rectifier in a much smaller local store that is now gone (it was my favorite!). I definitely liked it even better than the dual that i played 2 days ago. the tone was simple yet wonderfully thick and versatile still. that is when i first fell in love with mesa-boogie amps.

• Members

i like the single rectifier over the newer 3 channel dual and triples, and i prefer the 2 channel rectifier / racktifier to the 3 channel version. the 3 channel recto to my ears sounded grainy and buzzy. now that im using a dimarzio x2n, the rectifier has tightened up considerably. now i might actually use the modern mode.

• Members

Pre gain is next to useless. All you really should ever have the gain up to is about 11 o clock. Too much gain just sounds way too crappy plus the guitars volume gives you a little bit more gain too. And i love the Dual Recto 2 channel but i like the tones i can get with the 3rd channel on the Dual Rect 3 channel head. Thats just me though.

• Members

Originally posted by xsuspensionx

The single rectifier is by far the best head out of the three. For one, it lacks the muddyness and noisyness of the dual and triple rectifiers. While the 50 tube watts are extremely loud (loud enough to keep up with any amp of a gigging band, even surpass it), they break up at a lower volume and sound better at a lower volume as they do when they are turned up as well. As the single has two channels, it has less circuitry and mess within the amp itself which provides a more pure and untouched tone. Along with the simplicity of the head and virtually the same features, you only have to worry about 2 power tubes and 5 preamp, rather than the loads of tubes that come with the dual and especially triple. Who needs 100-150 tube watts? 50 is plenty. Make the right decision, go for a single.

My Rig:

Mesa Single Rectifier

Bogner 4x10

Fender Telecaster-Brown Sunburst...

what great tone!

I second this opinon... Love my single, more than loud enough... too loud in fact if I want it to be in any situation...

Great tone too, clean and dirty :)

• Members

Originally posted by evilbuttmuncher

Pre gain is next to useless. All you really should ever have the gain up to is about 11 o clock. Too much gain just sounds way too crappy plus the guitars volume gives you a little bit more gain too. And i love the Dual Recto 2 channel but i like the tones i can get with the 3rd channel on the Dual Rect 3 channel head. Thats just me though.

yes, i would probably never get up to 8.5 on the gain if it was turned up a bit, but i couldn't crank it too loud, i was in GC and didn't want to be one of "those" playing chugga chords for all the world to hear.

• 3 months later...

Archived