What is so special about the Korg N264/364?

aztechno

• Members

Hi everyone,

Well I finally bought the Korg N364 from the used music shop here in Japan for $350. The sales clerk knocked the price down from the original price for several reasons.

First I indicated to him that the LCD Backlight was no longer working. Although the LCD was ok, the backlight needed to be replaced. Second, I brought along a floppy disk for testing and found that the floppy drive was also not working. Likely this was due to a bad floppy drive belt that would need to be replaced. I then told him that I was pretty certain the original battery was still soldered to the main board and that would also need to be replaced likely soon. Finally, I told the guy that the joystick didn't sound that good and may eventually need to be replaced. ( I was intentionally stretching that one a bit ). I told him that I understood the keyboard was used, but to make the necessary repairs it could cost a fair amount. I finally pointed out that it had been sitting in his shop for almost two years now and with the existing problems, it's likely to remain unsold. The sales clerk didn't know about the N364 issues and agreed. So, he let me take it home for $350.

Over the past couple of days I have managed to repair the Floppy Drive and clean up the joystick so it works just fine. I have an LCD Backlight on order and that should be a simple quick solder job which I've done before on a few other keyboards. Overall, cosmetically the N364 is in excellent shape. The keys work great and all the springs are in super shape. The Korg N364 is a wonderful sounding workstation. I'm glad to have finally brought it home although it did take a bit of haggling with the sales staff. I may or may not have gotten the best price, but I'm happy with the result. I can now get on with it and play some music.

Thanks! - Jim

• 3 years later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

They are definitely popular with Latin musicians. They use them for certain sounds. They are also one of the standards for cumbia and grupera songs, for the presets, plus it can sound like some other old synths, like the M1, D-50, XP-10, and DX7, all of which are big in Latin music.

• Members
On 6/22/2020 at 3:34 PM, Corinney said:

I am bummed I sold my Korg N364 for $500 to pay my rent in 2008.... I bought it in 1997 at Guitar Center in San Jose. Heres a song I made with it: https://soundcloud.com/corinneyandthedreamies/ultimatum

I like the dysfunctional drums but srsly, classical? lol

• 1 month later...

Archived