Mic Help: Rode NT1A or Audio Technica AT3035

thewaterchapter

• Members

ok. i have 200 bucks to spend on a condensor mic that i will use primarily for acoustic guitar and vocals. by the reviews and my searches, ive found that it either comes down to the roda nt1a or the audio technica at3035. anyone have these? also, what do you think i should go with between the two? thanks guys.

• Members

Originally posted by thewaterchapter

ok. i have 200 bucks to spend on a condensor mic that i will use primarily for acoustic guitar and vocals. by the reviews and my searches, ive found that it either comes down to the roda nt1a or the audio technica at3035. anyone have these? also, what do you think i should go with between the two? thanks guys.

I have a AT4040 and I think they're supposed to be similar, but the 4040 is a step up. It is a very versatile mic, but you'll want a small condenser too, if you want pro quality acoustic tones. Most acoustic players use both in the room to get the best sounds. I know nothing about NT1As, other than they're legendary as a good sounding budget mic. Also supposed to be very versatile.

By the way, I bought my AT4040 for 200 on the bay. I've been very happy.

• Members

damn!!!! that clip perfectly captures the beast that is known as the 5150. very very impressive. basically all im going off of are reviews from musiciansfriend.com and zzounds.com. it seemed as though the audio technica had better reviews although fewer actual number of reviews.

cobra, do you have any idea how the engineer positioned those mics for that clip?

• Members

cobra... very impressive. if anything, id imagine the rode to be off axis and the shure to be on??? who wouldve known. ill have to try that with my cobra.

superbad, no dice man. this is hawaii... not too many good music shops except a few, who coincidentally dont carry many mics.

haha yes, i know both mics are great mics thats the problem. i know i cant go wrong with the rode nt1a... but is the 3035 better? thats the question right now? keep em coming, i really appreciate it.

• Members

I have both. I prefer the AT3035.

But both mics have different flavors.

But if I could sum it up, the AT3035 seems to capture a more natural sound.

I use both of them for room mics for drums and recording live stuff...But the AT is a tad bit better IMHO for guitar...

Steve

• Members

ok. i have 200 bucks to spend on a condensor mic that i will use primarily for acoustic guitar and vocals

For 200 bucks, I'd save a little more and get the MXL v69.

Go to www.gearslutz.com

They just did a long, totally blind, mic shootout. The MXL v69 placed well, in the top 10.

ADK also has good cheaper mics I would take over either of the two you listed in a heartbeat at the same price.

• Members

Originally posted by SteveVHT

I have both. I prefer the AT3035.

But both mics have different flavors.

But if I could sum it up, the AT3035 seems to capture a more natural sound.

I use both of them for room mics for drums and recording live stuff...But the AT is a tad bit better IMHO for guitar...

Steve

steve,

if you were to chose one to use for all around (acoustic, vocals, etc)... youd chose the 3035 i take it? thanks for the responses guys

• Members

I have been using the NT1A for a little over a year for acoustic and vox. I am very pleased with the results. It def deserves the accord it gets.

I would charaterize it as bright though. Some male vocals sound tinny, but female sound very good, lots of shimmer. The acoustic sounds outstanding.

About a week ago, I set the NT1a off axis between a vocalist and I (acoustic) for a scratch take. You know, a little comp and verb and I cound not believe how good it sounded. I will probably use the mic and technique again.

• Members

For acoustic guitar & vocals, I would go with a Rode NT1000. It is a very clear microphone.

I have the AT 3030, and it does a great job as well. I think for acoustic guitar & vocals, it does a good job. The only problem with the NT1000 & NT1-A is that they lack high pass filter & DB pad. If you are mic'ing some loud amps, you need both. The AT 3030 has both, and records fine.

good luck

• Members

I have a NT1a and have used it now for many thing including trying out the micing shown earlier in this tread with a 57 on a guitar cab(which I was completely happy with the results). I am happy with the mic it is sometimes a bit bright but it plays really well with the 57.

• Members

Keep saving! You've gone this long so wait a bit longer and buy a mic that truly sounds great. I own a 3035 and it sounds pretty decent for the money but I saved and bought a Blue Baby Bottle which is in a completely different league. I did a comparison a couple of months ago with a friend that has an MXL (not sure of the model, but not the lowest end mic), the 3035, my BLUE and his NT1000 and the results were very clear that the Blue and the NT1000 were far better (albeit more expensive) microphones. In the end you'll probably spend more money by buying something cheap rather that something great. I think we've all done that before.

• Members

All vocals on our new demo (and the old for that matter) is recorded with my 1. gen NT-1. You can check it out HERE

if you want to!

For acoustic guitar it's OK, but.....have had better results with my NT-5's. But then again, they cost a little more. So they are not really comparable.:rolleyes:

B.R. Anders

• Members

how does the rode nt1000 hold up? night and day from the nt1a? im willing to spend the extra cash if its worth it.

hmmm... thanks for all the help, but im still not definite.

andershoeg,

your clips sounded great man... especially the 2nd song.

NT1000 has more clearer upper end, more natural might say... we didn't choose it because we felt that NT1-A sounded better on our singers voice... now afterwards thinking, I probably would end up with NT1000.

Archived