Peavey Classic 30 vs. Peavey Delta Blues

DylanWilde

• Members

I find them to be very similar sounding, the main difference is that if you want Tremelo on the amp, get the delta blues.

Other than that its if you want the 115 Delta Blues, 210 Delta blues, or 112 Classic 30. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I owned 4 classic 30's in two months. They all broke down for various reason's. I have since tried a Delta Blues in shop, and nearly purchased it til i remembered all the other grief i had with the Classic's...same chassis bar the tremelo

• Members

Yep 4 of them, Reverb went on one, Transformer on another, other two just stopped working, no idea what the falut's were, shop got pissed off with me returning them.

I did however get two gigs out of one, and have to say i really liked it. Hell, they must have been Friday amp's, if you've got no prob's with 'em i'm envious, cos i really wanted to have them long term..

• Members

after lots of time on the Crate Palomino V32and Classic 30 can honestly say the classic 30 is a MUCH better amp. At first the Palomino seemed to have something, but honestly it really is just typical crate quality, and the speaker just sucks. The Tone really isn't that incredible either. I think its better than the Fender Blues Jr. But the Hot rod is much better, and the HOt Rod really isn't all that.

I know this is OT but alot of people seem to be stuck between the 2. And IMO the classic kills the Palomino.

I'm really impressed with teh classics man,

and after tube changes and speaker changes they just sound AWESOME. :)

• Members

I've gigged with both of these before and I LOVED the tone of the Delta Blues but it's particular about dispersion. I was standing just a little off axis in front of it and couldn't hear myself at all. My cousin kicked it my way about 3" and it hit me right in the face...not a good thing IMO. He doesn't use it unless he is micing up for a larger venue. The rest of the time he uses his HRD or Peavey Classic.

• Members

wow okay maybe not, i just found out the peavy 30 i was playing with had upgraded

Grove Tubes all around, and had Eminence

speaker in it! Woops

Reason i found out is because i went to samash today and tried out their stock classic 30 and it wasn't even CLOSE to the tone or character of the modded one. IN fact it was sort of bland sounding. Its pretty incredible what modding that amp can do :eek:

I called my friend and he told me all his mods to his classic 30 that i had so much time on.

Stock for Stock Palomino does totally murder the Classic 30 big time. But with just $200 it will sound WAY better than the Palomino. The classic can be had for

$400 new where the Palomino is $600 so the Classic is the obvious better option IMO.

My delta blues 1x15 has upgraded tubes too, but has the stock blue Marvel 15". I've never heard a stock Delta 15" either so maybe its not all that stock either? But in its current state

its one of the best sounding amps i've EVER heard including mesas, marshalls, carvins, trace elliot, etc. with a humbucker guitar its absolutely amazing.

• Members

Originally posted by ss454

I've gigged with both of these before and I LOVED the tone of the Delta Blues but it's particular about dispersion. I was standing just a little off axis in front of it and couldn't hear myself at all. My cousin kicked it my way about 3" and it hit me right in the face...not a good thing IMO. He doesn't use it unless he is micing up for a larger venue. The rest of the time he uses his HRD or Peavey Classic.

Yeah i noticed that too, i have to play RIGHT in front of the amp to get the sound out of the amp. If i sit next to it, its not even close to the same sound :( Its absolutely incredible when you sit right in front of it though

So the classic 30 does not have that problem at all?

• Members

A Delta Blues 1x15 was my first real tube amp about 8-9 years ago.

I ran it into an open backed Peavey Classic 4x10 extension cabinet with a Telecaster w/TexSpcls. and an SG.

I loved that rig and played it for years, great clean, great warm OD, and a Tubescreamer for leads.

I loaned it to a close friend and he got it stolen, but paid me full "retail" price to replace it because he felt so bad. I ended up going head/cab route after that, cause I got a sweet deal on an Egnater.

If I ever had to go back to a simple, do it all, amp (and had to downgrade all my stuff) it would probably be a delta blues again.

• Members

I've got a friends Delta Blues 2x10 at my in my rehearsal room right now. He brought it over because he said he wasn't getting good sounds out of it. We cranked it up in my rehearsal room. Its got hardwood floors/plaster walls. It gets loud as hell in there and sound bounces everywhere but its got this "alive" sound with an amp cranked up in there. Didn't fail with the Delta Blues either. The main problem is he couldn't really open up the clean channel to get power tube spank out of it. He also plays a Les Paul custom which is great on the dirt channel, but my Strats really brought the thing to life to my ears. The clean had a Deluxe Reverb kind of attack but darker and the lead channel on these amps to me sounds like the 5150 crunch channel but rounder and smoother but plenty of gain!! This amp makes me want to check out the Classic 50 head or the 4x10. I always knew these amps sounded great but after having one in MY playing room, I've really seen what they can do. The Delta Blues 2x10 ROCKS!!

• Members

i demo'd the delta blues and the classic 30, both nvos (new very old stock), at a store that had changed owners recently, and was looking to unload them.

they sounded similar with the distortion cut back a little on the delta blues. the db had a channel and tremolo ftsw, the classic 30 had channel & reverb ftsw. i don't use tremolo. i like footswitchable spring reverb!

the classic 30 takes upgrades notoriously well. bottom line for me cassic 30 is more compact, lighter, more versatile, and better set up for me.

if i were a jazz guy or classic blues, i'd buy the db.

• Members

All i know is the person who owned mine previously sure found a few INCREDIBLE tubes, i'm not sure if it was luck, or if they spent $100s finding good ones, but the groove tubes in there are INSANE :eek: I threw the stock sovteks and EH tubes in and EWWW :freak: I would have never bought the delta blues if i didn't hear the modified one.

I don't know how anyone could like those sovteks :o

I had about a $800 limit when i went shopping and the DB 15 was MUCH better sounding than anything i'd played except a REALLY expensive Mesa stack that cost like a 5G's :wave: And I only ended up spending $375 otd for it i ended up saving over $400 which made me really happy :D

I was going to get the Palomino V32 until i heard the DB what a difference!

• Members

I'd like to be able to give some input here, because I am very familiar with the C30, but I know nothing at all about the Delta Blues. In my opinion on the PV Classic series, I think the C50 is a good amp for rock and hard rock and hair metal....the C30 is more of an amp suited to blues and Strats with single coils for blue eyed blues like SRV.

• Members

Originally posted by stangme01

wow okay maybe not, i just found out the peavy 30 i was playing with had upgraded

Grove Tubes all around, and had Eminence

speaker in it! Woops

Reason i found out is because i went to samash today and tried out their stock classic 30 and it wasn't even CLOSE to the tone or character of the modded one. IN fact it was sort of bland sounding. Its pretty incredible what modding that amp can do
:eek:
I called my friend and he told me all his mods to his classic 30 that i had so much time on.

Stock for Stock Palomino does totally murder the Classic 30 big time. But with just $200 it will sound WAY better than the Palomino. The classic can be had for

$400 new where the Palomino is $600 so the Classic is the obvious better option IMO.

My delta blues 1x15 has upgraded tubes too, but has the stock blue Marvel 15". I've never heard a stock Delta 15" either so maybe its not all that stock either? But in its current state

its one of the best sounding amps i've EVER heard including mesas, marshalls, carvins, trace elliot, etc. with a humbucker guitar its absolutely amazing.

My Classic 30 is in the shop as we speak getting a new speaker and tubes put in. I can't wait to hear what it does to the sound. I'm putting in a Weber Silver Bell and JJ tubes. If you go to www.eurotubes.com the guy has all these retube kits for the classic 30. You can choose the blues option, high gain, ect. I'll repost when I get it back from the shop.

• Members

Originally posted by dennis138

My Classic 30 is in the shop as we speak getting a new speaker and tubes put in. I can't wait to hear what it does to the sound. I'm putting in a Weber Silver Bell and JJ tubes. If you go to
www.eurotubes.com
the guy has all these retube kits for the classic 30. You can choose the blues option, high gain, ect. I'll repost when I get it back from the shop.

yeah please do, i've been on the fence about JJ's because i keep hearing mixed reviews........which would normally be fine, except when i hear "dark", "lifeless", "sucked the tone out of my amp" etc. i get really worried :o

But from what i've heard the power tubes are great from everyone. So i will likely buy JJ power tubes at least.

Archived