What Sovtek Mig has the marshally tone?

anomaly

• Members

I gots a Mig 100, and its not marshally at all.

As far as I know the 50 and the 60 have el34's while the 100's have 5881's

I put super 6's in mine, and the thing is fendery clean with great breakup at around 8 on the clean channel.

On the hi- output channel its got a fair amount of gain, but its not marshall gain...

Is the 100h 5881's or a 100 watt version with el84's?

I know that mine has withstood the rigors of 8 years of heavy usuage with no problems. Very underated amps, and can be had very cheap!

• Members

Originally posted by parntz145

The mig 100H. Make sure you get the H model, stands for high gain. I have played a few and they get real close to the jcm800. The only thing is the parts are pretty cheap. They use a lot of plastic.

I thought the H stood for head? :confused:

I've got 2 Tube Midget 50s - I love them - the other guitarist in my band plays through one

listen

http://www.audiri.com/bricksatx

• Members

the h stands for high gain.they had a mig 100 ,100h,100u (all marshallish) and a bassman clone as well (50,bassov blues midget).

they are pretty well built amps considering the prices.pick one up,put new jacks and switches in it and it will last forever and be quite indestructible.

• Members
Originally posted by m90guy

I gots a Mig 100, and its not marshally at all.

As far as I know the 50 and the 60 have el34's while the 100's have 5881's

I put super 6's in mine, and the thing is fendery clean with great breakup at around 8 on the clean channel.

On the hi- output channel its got a fair amount of gain, but its not marshall gain...

Is the 100h 5881's or a 100 watt version with el84's?

I know that mine has withstood the rigors of 8 years of heavy usuage with no problems. Very underated amps, and can be had very cheap!

Mig 50 and 50H do not have EL34's. There was also a Mig 30 but it is pretty rare.

• Members

Mig 60. These come close to the JCM 800 sound, but beware the wiring. There were close to three dozen cold-solder joints in mine. Eventually I got sick of taking it to the tech every three months, so I sold it and bought a Soldano Avenger.

If you go to my website and listen to "Give The Lepers Their Due," that's a Mig 60 right there.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Mig 50 and 50H do not have EL34's. There was also a Mig 30 but it is pretty rare.

Cool, thanks for the info. I never really checked em out. If it wasnt for the fact I got mine for $50 w cab, I would have never even givin em a chance.

I do like my 100 though, its just way to loud for clubs and small gigs.

• Members

Originally posted by Body Bomb

but beware the wiring. There were close to three dozen cold-solder joints in mine.

Really? Hmm, that's making me reconsider a little. I hear they're made with a lot of cheap parts too. Maybe I'll just save up and just get a jcm-800.

• Members

Originally posted by anomaly

Really? Hmm, that's making me reconsider a little. I hear they're made with a lot of cheap parts too. Maybe I'll just save up and just get a jcm-800.

no way. the Migs are well constructed and Handwired PTP. you cant go wrong. the only thing they cheaped out on are the plastic inputs.

• Members

Originally posted by dughaze

They sound good....so do you and the band Pistols.

:thu:

thanks

both of mine have some circuit board in them - one has been in the shop a bit, but it was also the road hog, and usually only ever needed help after the occasional spill - the box is needing a bit of help now, but the guts are going strong - the midgets are a tiny box, everything is squeezed in, so they are easier to damage from shocks, from the way I see it - so take some care, and it should be fine - my main one has taken a ton of abuse so far, and is very reliable

the Tube Midget 50 and Bassov Midget are 5881/6L6 - so is the Mig 30 I believe, I've only ever seen one and wish I could have bought it - I'm pretty sure the Mig 50 is as well

the Mig 60 is EL34, and I think the Mig 100 is too - not sure on the 100W Bassov

• Members

I have a Sovtek MIG100 (not the H, High Gain). It has a very Marshall like sound with the beef of 6L6's. Just like the old JCM800's, you will probably want a booster pedal to really make it scream.

They are loud as hell and mine has survived years of the road. These days I run an ENGL since I can afford it. But Sovtek's are awesome!

Mine had an input jack replaced. The fuse caps also broke once when it fell out of the truck.

I replaced the lamp cover and the switches for reliability. Also I have re-tubed it regularly. Mine is PTP wired and built like a tank.

Other than that it has been excellent. It really is a great amp and it is so sad that I don't use it much these days.

They are killer amps.

• Members

I played through a MIG 60 a few years ago and it was one of best amps I've ever heard in person, and better than the JCM 800 master volume head I played in the same shop. The MIG 60 had more of a retro, soft vibe, more like a Plexi or early 70's model but with more gain. I am a 6L6 fan normally, but for that "British" sound you gotta have EL34s.

I used to own a MIG 50, which was based on a Fender Bassman, and I'll be forever sorry I sold it.

• Members

I had a MIG100 and it was a pretty cool head. Built like {censored}, cheap parts. I modded it and sold it to a local studio. I'll hoping to go there tomorrow ot record some clips of my stuff. I'll try to get some clips of the MIG when I'm there.

Jerry

Archived