Randy Rhoads!

loudgtr

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Junkhead

"Tonight" has an additional 5-6 minutes in addition to the fade out thats on the album. I dont know about you guys, but this would be the holy grail of randy audio. Seeing if he could make it memorable and last 6 minutes longer than the fade out.

I'd give my left nut to hear the rest of that solo!!

• Members

"Tonight" has an additional 5-6 minutes in addition to the fade out thats on the album. I dont know about you guys, but this would be the holy grail of randy audio. Seeing if he could make it memorable and last 6 minutes longer than the fade out.

Man that would be a treasured listen for sure!! Always loved that outro solo!!!

BTW Junkhead I got the link to work the next day. Again man...big thank you!

• Members

I've got a Quiet Riot boot DVD from Ebay that sounds like {censored}. I love Randy, and I was really stoked to watch it, but the guitar sounds like ROYAL ASS! I mean, I can't believe for one second that Randy would actually play with such a sound...I *have* to believe it's bad mic placement. It's all midrange, like a wah pedal set half-way.

Included in the DVD set was the After Hours show, and some other boot stuff of Oz w/Randy. It's better than the QR stuff, but I can see why it hasn't been released...the quality just isn't that good.

I remember when the Tribute album came out...stories came out about how they ran Randy's guitar signal through some amps in the studio to improve the tones. I've read where Randy wasn't happy with his sound, especially when they put the cabs behind the staging...so fixing them probably wasn't a bad idea.

I've always tended to lean towards the unpolished product...just put it out as is, but that comes from a guy that didn't realize how bad things can sound...that QR show is a shining example. In the case of Tribute, I'm okay with them fixing it in the studio...after all, they didn't have anyone dubbing Randy's parts, so it's still HIM!

As for editing shows together, I'm okay with that, too. A perfect show is never going to happen, so if they record them all and piece together the best performances... it's fine with me. It's still Randy, and he's right up there with the best ever IMO.

• Members

He said the Diary of a Madman albums was rushed, And he would have liked to do more with the solo's than whats on the album.

"Little Dolls" first solo was actually a prelude to a solo coming right after that on the album, They didnt have time to get it on.

Believers solo the first few measures are pretty much the same as Mr.Crowleys first solo. (Live version he changed it later and it smokes)

ISTR a comment on this from Max Norman...it's been a long time now, but I *think* he said they ran out of tape, and the fade is right up to where the reel ended.

• Members

Originally posted by Rich4Once

I remember when the Tribute album came out...stories came out about how they ran Randy's guitar signal through some amps in the studio to improve the tones. I've read where Randy wasn't happy with his sound, especially when they put the cabs behind the staging...so fixing them probably wasn't a bad idea.

I've always tended to lean towards the unpolished product...just put it out as is, but that comes from a guy that didn't realize how bad things can sound...that QR show is a shining example. In the case of Tribute, I'm okay with them fixing it in the studio...after all, they didn't have anyone dubbing Randy's parts, so it's still HIM!

As for editing shows together, I'm okay with that, too. A perfect show is never going to happen, so if they record them all and piece together the best performances... it's fine with me. It's still Randy, and he's right up there with the best ever IMO.

My friend has an LP bootleg of the original Tribute show.

It's called "Bats Head Soup"

The guitars sound about the same, probably a little EQ. Ozzy re cut all of the vocals. The solo in Suicide solution was cut out and replaced with one from a different concert. (which he has on LP also) You can tell because there's a little pause right before and right after the solo that were never there. Plus the tone is completely different. It's pretty much the same solo though, just a couple of little different things. It kinda bummed me out cuz there was nothing wrong with the original solo.

• Members
Originally posted by Rich4Once

I've got a Quiet Riot boot DVD from Ebay that sounds like {censored}. I love Randy, and I was really stoked to watch it, but the guitar sounds like ROYAL ASS! I mean, I can't believe for one second that Randy would actually play with such a sound...I *have* to believe it's bad mic placement. It's all midrange, like a wah pedal set half-way.

Included in the DVD set was the After Hours show, and some other boot stuff of Oz w/Randy. It's better than the QR stuff, but I can see why it hasn't been released...the quality just isn't that good.

There is a master of the after hours session out there. The best copy is in Japan and was used for the "A tribute to Randy Rhoads"
movie, it was released in 2002 and is able to be released world wide in 2007 according to the osbournes. The quality of after hours in that movie is 9 outa 10. The osbournes have the master obviously.

There is a pro shot show of Quiet Riot from 79 out there. Kevin Dubrow lent it to VH1 for behind the music and it ended up being "lost or stolen" according to VH1. Kevin post on the www.randyrhoads.tk forums. The show has ended up in boot circulation. Its also 9 outa 10 video quality for a show shot in the 70s. (i have it and randys solo spot is awesome, First time you really get a close up of his right and left hand style in 100% clear video shredding, his wrist is so limp it makes me sick sometimes actually)

As far as released live albums, Tribute(cleveland) could have been released the way it was, ozzy's vocals werent spot on but just didnt seem right for some reason.

The king biscuit show(montreal) SHOULD be released officially. That show is unbelieveable and Randy's at his best in it.

2007 is the 25th anniversary of his death I think what we may get from the osbournes is:

After Hours officially
"A tribute to randy rhoads" move converted to english(all they would have to do is redo the questions in english since its all english people are being interviewd and talking about randy, plus you never see the japs asking the questions on video.

Remaster both albums again but with studio outakes

Release : King Biscuit Flower Hour show officially(cleveland)

• Members

Originally posted by fragglerick

My friend has an LP bootleg of the original Tribute show.

It's called "Bats Head Soup"

The guitars sound about the same, probably a little EQ. Ozzy re cut all of the vocals. The solo in Suicide solution was cut out and replaced with one from a different concert. (which he has on LP also) You can tell because there's a little pause right before and right after the solo that were never there. Plus the tone is completely different. It's pretty much the same solo though, just a couple of little different things. It kinda bummed me out cuz there was nothing wrong with the original solo.

This is all correct.I have the original version of "I Don't Know" that was played on the syndicated radio show "Metal Shop" before Tribute came out and Ozzy's vocals sound very different on it.Not actually that bad though,just kind of screamy.Kind of like the way he sounds on the Sabbath song "Hole In The Sky".

The solo that appears on Tribute at the end of "Suicide Solution" was taken from a concert I have on tape that I recorded off of the radio show "The King Biscuit Flower Hour".Besides the tone being different and the pause before and after the solo on Tribute,the other tale tale sign that the solo is taken from the King Biscuit show is that his guitar drops a half step flat when the solo starts (from A to A flat,after the first pause),then goes back to standard tuning after the second pause.

Edit:

The king biscuit show(montreal) SHOULD be released officially. That show is unbelieveable and Randy's at his best in it.

I didn't see this untill after I made this post.I guess the King Biscuit show I have (the one they took the Tribute Suicide Solution solo from) is the Montreal one.Randy's playing is amazing on it,even better than on Tribute.On the other hand,Ozzy's vocals are absolutely horrible on it,maybe the worst I have ever heard from him live.I don't think they (Ozzy and Sharon) would ever release it because of that and Ozzy's voice is too weak and pathetic sounding nowadays to do a decent sounding overdub.

• Members
Originally posted by IKilledSifoDyas

This is all correct.I have the original version of "I Don't Know" that was played on the syndicated radio show "Metal Shop" before Tribute came out and Ozzy's vocals sound very different on it.Not actually that bad though,just kind of screamy.Kind of like the way he sounds on the Sabbath song "Hole In The Sky".

The solo that appears on Tribute at the end of "Suicide Solution" was taken from a concert I have on tape that I recorded off of the radio show "The King Biscuit Flower Hour".Besides the tone being different and the pause before and after the solo on Tribute,the other tale tale sign that the solo is taken from the King Biscuit show is that his guitar drops a half step flat when the solo starts (from A to A flat,after the first pause),then goes back to standard tuning after the second pause.

as far as the pause between the solo start and solo end, there was never a pause in any of the shows, its just the way it was done for the tribute album

• Members
Originally posted by IKilledSifoDyas

Yeah,I know man.I was acknowledging that,while also pointing out how the tuning of his guitar suddenly changed.
:)

I nevered compared, Both should have been tuned to standard tuning, I guess off the top of my head tribute(cleveland) may sound a tad higher?

the montreal solo was spead up also for the tribute album just a nudge just fyi :)

• Members

I will take RR's bad tone anyday.........those Altec 417 series II drivers he used are of the best ever in tone in IMHO....saying RR's tone was bad is like saying earlly Scorpions tone was {censored}............subjective deaRRfness on somebodies part. RR's live tone was nothing short of amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 14 years later...
  • Members

Just came across this while searching for any other even slightly intelligent that agree to the inescapable fact that ozzy was in fact a giant poser. Really if you listen to interviews with iommi and butler as well, they blame the record company for the perception that they were satanists. Sorry, dudes but when your album cover art includes inverted crosses, demons, pentagrams and 666 (Sabbath Bloody Sabbath), kinda hard to agree. They played along with their own little marketing ploy and then seemed so genuinely appalled when the public made these obvious inferences and reacted accordingly. No doubt some of the most influential rock ever but they were and are {censored}ing posers. Cash in but deny the image that they themselves created and perpetuated. Definition of posers.

Archived