Randy Rhoads!

loudgtr

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by cloudnine

Junk - mind giving me the show of what you think the best live boot was?

I've never really heard any randy era boots aside from Tribute which I know was messed with a ton.

Ill send you a PM of a link with a few shows, Please don't give the link out since this guys bandwith is limited and does release new stuff once in awhile!

• Members

Originally posted by Junkhead

You sound like a big randy fan...PM meh and I will give you links to a few shows including the unedited tribute album(original show!)

The 7-28-81 show(Heavy Metal Holocaust aka King Biscuit show) was the best IMO, thats also a link i can give you. I dont wanna post it publicly cause the guy has hosted many rare randy files over the years and his bandwith gets drained sometime!

pm'd, and thanks:wave: very much.

• Members

PM's sent
:)

Hey junkhead,

Could I get that link too???

I saw the Diary tour Jan 82....I was right at the stage pretty much and it was a smaller venue so they didnt have the stage stuff....he had three old stacks up there and sounded awesome!! I'd been playing gtr a year at that point and was floored by his playing! Man that was awesome.....

• Members

Originally posted by loudgtr

I just finished reading this old interview in an Aug/04 Guitar World issue I have. Made me think of how much I used to listen to the "Tribute" album. Man that album just flat out Rocks!!

There's been alot of "Jake" love on this forum lately(and rightly so) but I thought how about some for R.R. Clips of course are welcome;) Now I gotta go and dust off that "Tribute" CD and give it a spin. Man I used to play the heck out of that record when I was yonger. Cheers!

My absolute favorite record of the 80's.

• Members

You sound like a big randy fan...PM meh and I will give you links to a few shows including the unedited tribute album(original show!)

The 7-28-81 show(Heavy Metal Holocaust aka King Biscuit show) was the best IMO, thats also a link i can give you. I dont wanna post it publicly cause the guy has hosted many rare randy files over the years and his bandwith gets drained sometime!

King Biscuit show!?!?! In Helena Arkansas?!?

• Members

Back when Randy came on the scene people weren't as hung up on "tone" as they are today. IMO, EVH probably started the tone quest that we are still chasing today.
Sure there were others before EVH that had great tone and whose sounds were sought after, but not with the mania of EVH's tone. Randy's debut with Ozzy happened in 1980 (2 years after VH1). I heard that album when it came out and I was floored with Randy's buzzy sound. Back then, it was pretty impossible for me and my friends to come close to getting any great tone. It was a huge mystery. No internet chat rooms and such.
You've gotta put Randy's tone in perspective. He probably had little to do with the final sound on record anyway (I'll bet he was more into note selection and phrasing). Listen to his live stuff. Pure tone.

• Members

Originally posted by rbm

You've gotta put Randy's tone in perspective. He probably had little to do with the final sound on record anyway (I'll bet he was more into note selection and phrasing). Listen to his live stuff. Pure tone.

Yeah man. Good point.

• Members
Originally posted by deadwrong666

Good article this month in Guitar World......
:thu:

Thanks!! I'll have to get that one. Haven't seen that one yet. I usually just skim through mags and put them back when the wife is done her shopping;)

• Members

Randy was very special indeed.

Trained in music, loves "classical", had to have been a metalhead, at least a bit. Loved his mom, wanted something more than just "fame"

And you can't forget he really only had a very few years to shine his light...and look how he touched us.

You might say "bad tone" or some such...but very few deny his playing...that *IS* special.

Thank god there was a Randy Rhodes. You know it. Bitch kicked some serious ass and wanted something more. Something on a different plane of existance. Something he had a clue about and we could only guess. A higher power said..."not yet". Still not yet.

• Members

I saw BS when I was like 12-13 ( first show)..There still amazing in my book..Ozzy stuff was way more commercial in comparison to BS..due to RR guitar playing..Think of all the hits that RR did with Ozzy..Zakk may be a total dick..but he's still got to go out everynight and play those tunes that RR did with Ozzy every night till Ozzy calls it quits..

if you dont dig the tone that RR got..I would say that it had more to due to the fact that the tones that we all take for granted now wernt really around then..rememeber VH at that time was the top for guitar players and his whole playing was a {censored}ing mystery to everybody..no one sounded like EVH...now you can just about dial in any tone you want ...
and sound way heavier then EVH did at his best during that period..
( he's still hard to real =nail= down ..always close..but never quite )..

to me RR is {censored}ing awesome..esp the live stuff..:):thu:

• Members

Originally posted by MetalHed

This is just my opinion, but anyone in music who needs gimmicks to get noticed is a poser, and everything Ozzy has done in my lifetime has been a series of gimmicks. Don't get me wrong, I can respect the fact that he has made a career in the music business despite not having a single drop of actual musical talent. In fact, I'm quite jealous, I wish I had been smart enough to do the same.

I'm a purist, to me, music should be about , gasp, MUSIC, not some jackass spitting fake blood all over the place. That might impress the teeny boppers and the limp dick wanna be's, but I'm into people who can actually play. Ozzy has been smart enough to ride the coat tails of some VERY good guitar players, but he has never done anything that has remotely impressed me on any level.

I love early Sabbath, but not because of Ozzy, like most people, but in spite of him. He's just some guy yelling, any meathead can do that. Iommi created heavy metal and Ozzy just rode shotgun.

...funny too because you'll hear over & over how Ozzy taught Randy that one doesn't need gimmicks & poses if one is good enough.

Ozzy never took his own advice ...or wasn't able to.

Anyway I LOVE Randy Rhoads. His tone was a bit buzzy in the studio but it was a very distinctive buzz.

Randy is my idea of a truly awesome guitar player.

I totally believe he would have done SOTD and then split the circus.

It bothers me that Ozzy somehow thinks he "made" Randy, Jake, and Zakk. Sure he had influence over them ...but he hardly MADE them the guitar players they are. Listening to him sometimes ya wonder.

IMHO Ozzy is a bit of a windbag.

• Members

Randy was amazing-such a loss! Inspired the hell out of me back then,and continues to to this day! His tone was "just right" just enough gain,just enough crunch,and with perfect clarity to get his solos through in all thier glory!

• Members

As for Randy's tone...all I can say is that back in the day, when he first came out...and I'm showing my age here...noboby really cared about his tone. We were to floored by his playing to analyze his tone. Compared to how far things have come...tonewise in those day's I can see where people question Rhoads tone...still, I take it as a whole and realize it was what it was for it's time.

+1

Sure - now his chords sound fuzzy, but compared to alot of the stuff at the time (with the obvious exception of Eddie) it was his own sound. Put a mxr in front of your amp and listen to what it sounds like....talk about someone having his tone in his fingers!!!

• Members

wow i'm listening to a bootleg from an LA gig right now, and the tone is horrible... the bootleg i have the tone is so much better, i wish i knew where the cd was, or where it was recorded... this bootleg has the same band jam thing on it, but totally worse quality than what i have...

• Members

I recentley re purchased Blizzard of Ozz .... I had all the Randy Albums wether they were on vinyl or cassette . All those copies have since died or got lost .

So I hadn't really listened to any RR ( unless it was Crazy Train on the radio ) in at least 10 years or so .

I put Blizzard in ......... and realized right away why I wanted to play guitar in the first place .

The thing that stuck out to me the most ( other than the ungodly Les Paul tone ) was that you can hum every dam solo on any of his records .

The guy could obviously play ....... but his writing abilities impress me more than ever .

Revelation Mother Earth ....... still might be one of my fav solos .

and the track Diary of a madman of the same titled released had to be one of the most eerie songs I ever heard . I remember in 83 when I bought that album .... that song gave me the willies .

• Members

i knew i posted these mp3's online somewhere, don't worry you can rape this bandwidth all you want, its unlimited...

http://premium1.uploadit.org/Elysian893/Ozzy-Osbourn-and-Randy-Rhoads---Bootleg---Diary-Tour---08---Randy-Jam.mp3

compared to the LA bootleg i dl'd this ones tone is much better... but i see what you mean about too much delay, it sounds like 2 guitarists playing way out of sync...

• Members
Originally posted by Dave Owens

nice clip...Brian May used to do something like this along time ago..

( Now Im Here ) was the tune...used to talk back and forth..

you can hear it on there early live stuff...

you got the rest of this...its really decent...
:)

i don't, i looked for the cd yesterday and i can't find it anywhere, its probably stuffed in a random jewel case somewhere... i just moved, so its still hard to find everything... hell i lost my tubescreamer!

• Members

ANother Randy fan here... i have all of the randy bootleg that exist (well, i'm sure) randy playing on those bootleg are definatly better than the studio one.. Randy said himself that he didnt have all the time he wanted to write his solo...

What kind of guitarist he would have been today??? Simply amasing, i'm sure.. Probably a classical God!!

I have started a band and we do a tribute to ozzy (more of a tribute to randy rhoads if you ask me!!). Just can wait to make our first show!!!

• Members

Originally posted by fortress55

ANother Randy fan here... i have all of the randy bootleg that exist (well, i'm sure) randy playing on those bootleg are definatly better than the studio one.. Randy said himself that he didnt have all the time he wanted to write his solo...

What kind of guitarist he would have been today??? Simply amasing, i'm sure.. Probably a classical God!!

I have started a band and we do a tribute to ozzy (more of a tribute to randy rhoads if you ask me!!). Just can wait to make our first show!!!

He said the Diary of a Madman albums was rushed, And he would have liked to do more with the solo's than whats on the album.

"Little Dolls" first solo was actually a prelude to a solo coming right after that on the album, They didnt have time to get it on.

Believers solo the first few measures are pretty much the same as Mr.Crowleys first solo. (Live version he changed it later and it smokes)

"Tonight" has an additional 5-6 minutes in addition to the fade out thats on the album. I dont know about you guys, but this would be the holy grail of randy audio. Seeing if he could make it memorable and last 6 minutes longer than the fade out.

Archived