Randy Rhoads!

loudgtr

• Members

Originally posted by cloudnine

Every lead singer "rides the coattails" of their band but they become icons for a reason - Ozzy, Roth, Mercury, Rose, etc.

They become icons because they are the one standing out front, and most people aren't smart enough to remember much more than that. Sort of like how the QB is always the person who wins or loses according to the media, whereas anyone who has even a remedial grasp of football knows that the game is won and lost on the line of scrimmage.

I'm not trying to bag on anyone who likes Ozzy, to each their own, but he's done nothing to write home about that I've ever heard, and I think that the majority of the flattery that people use when discussing him is just hot air.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by evhfan

you're right bro, where do i sign up for that sucky tone?

Guitar Center. Cost of one DS-1 pedal plugged straight into the board and you're golden.

You'd have to be retarded to not realize that his ability/skills/influence were God-like, though. Talking about his ability is so non-controversial that it's no fun, though, since no with even a minor clue would argue it. His tone's the only thing really worth arguing about and even then, it doesn't matter much if at all.

• Members
Originally posted by Elric

You'd have to be retarded to not realize that his ability/skills/influence were God-like, though. Talking about his ability is so non-controversial that it's no fun, though, since no with even a minor clue would argue it. His tone's the only thing really worth arguing about and even then, it doesn't matter much if at all.

Pretty much bang on there I'd say :wave:

• Members

Originally posted by BORR4

It's all good - they are all just opinions.

I do have a question though - how can someone in to metal (just assuming that since your moniker is MetalHed) show such disrespect for someone like Ozzy? He is the real deal and I can't see how that can be even debated.

I agree completely that this is all just opinion, and mine doesn't mean any more than anyone else's, I'm just a dip{censored} who posts on this board.

All I can say as to your question is that the term "metal" means different things to different people. To me, metal isn't about window dressing, it's about hard, fast music. From where I am standing, Ozzy has always been about window dressing. When I was growing up, in every picture I saw of him he had a plastic bat in his mouth and fake blood all over him. That, my friend, is what's known as a gimmick. If he had actual musical ability, he wouldn't have needed to pull the whole blood, gore and Satan routine in an effort to get attention.

To me, metal is about four or five guys in jeans and t-shirts letting fly with music that makes you want to bang your head. As soon as wardrobes and elaborate stage shows and other gimmicks are involved, they are posers in my book, because at that point the focus is more on posing for the camera than producing heavy music. Heavy music should speak for itself, when bands need to incorporate other aspects of "entertainment" into the mix, it's usually because their music isn't strong enough to stand on it's own two feet. If I were into singing, dancing and the like, I'd go watch a broadway musical. I'm into music, and my true love is heavy music.

I'm a purist in the strongest sense of the word.

• Members

Originally posted by Elric

You'd have to be retarded to not realize that his ability/skills/influence were God-like, though.

So true. It's scary to think what he would have done had he not died so young. He really was just getting started, imagine if we had 20 years of Randy Rhoads to draw on!!

• Members

Dude, if you are a true metal guy like you say PLEASE do yourself a favor and get hold of some old school Sabbath concert footage. Hell, even the Last Supper DVD is the balls. If you saw Ozzy in his prime with Sabbath you will see that he is everything metal and then some. Ozzy was (is) a complete and total lunatic and I mean that literally. Nobody did metal better than them back in the day and there was no one that did anything even remotely like they were doing before them. Ozzy & Sabbath were the pioneers and creators of Heavy Metal.

• Members

Originally posted by MetalHed

Heavy music should speak for itself, when bands need to incorporate other aspects of "entertainment" into the mix, it's usually because their music isn't strong enough to stand on it's own two feet. If I were into singing, dancing and the like, I'd go watch a broadway musical. I'm into music, and my true love is heavy music.

It's funny because all I ever thought of Ozzy was based on the Speak of the devil' album cover untill I heard some of his music. When I first saw that cover I thought: "Who's this idiot think he is!?"

Never saw him live, just listened to the recordings. Sabbath was before my time (1980 I was 10 yrs. old) I remember hearing on the radio that "OzzY Osbourne guitarist and others die in plane crash..." and remember thinking to myself at that time (before picking up the guitar) "who cares!!"

A couple of years later I pick up the guitar in early high school and one of my new buddies is a R.R fan big time. I start listening to Rock and 80's metal stuff like Ratt and VH and He makes me listen to Ozzy and I go...wow! You talk about music that made you move. It was on all those albums with R.R. and Jake if you ask me. Just my .02:wave:

• Members

I draw no issue with anything you said but this:

Originally posted by Urban Ghandi

Millions of people cannot be wrong about this...

:)

How many people out there enjoy Holla Back girl? Just to show you that millions of people can not only be wrong, but also dumb :D

• Members
Originally posted by Urban Ghandi

Uh....

Well, rock is indeed a guitar driven/oriented thing but it hasn't always been that.

It started as a rebellion thing...an attitude more so than related to any particular instrument.

Who's got more attitude than Ozzy? I never watch "The Osbournes" so I'm not really commenting on "what he has become."

You gotta give him some credit...his career has spanned 4 decades...he's been a part of countless "memorable" hard rock songs.

I hear ya, he's just a singer and he may or may not have been a huge force behind all those hits but it was him - and he is the voice of metal in many people's eyes.

Millions of people cannot be wrong about this...

:)

So if The BackStreet Boys develop the right "attitute" that will make them metal?

I give Ozzy credit for the same reason I give Madonna credit, for having business sense, not musical ability. But in the case of Ozzy, I get the feeling that his wife is really the one with the business sense, so in my eyes, Ozzy is more fortunate than anything. Just my two cents, don't expect anyone to agree.

As for the millions of people who can't be wrong about this, does that mean that if I got a few million people to say that Liza Minelli was Metal, that would make it so? Not sure I follow the logic on that one.

• Members

Originally posted by loudgtr

You talk about music that made you move. It was on all those albums with R.R. and Jake if you ask me. Just my .02:wave:

Yeah, but that MUSIC was created by RR and Jake, not Ozzy. He just put his name on it, they were the ones with the talent!!

I just don't see how anyone can consider a singer to be "Metal", because singing isn't what makes a band metal or not. It's basically everything BUT the singing that makes metal what it is.

If Dean Martin had been the front man for Sabbath, would that have made him Metal? How about if James Hetfield (insert the name of any other metal guitarist here) joined INXS, would that make them a metal band?

Like I said, everyone has their own idea of what metal is. I'm not saying I'm right and someone else is wrong, I just don't follow the logic others use to label someone "metal".

• Members

I agree completely that this is all just opinion, and mine doesn't mean any more than anyone else's, I'm just a dip{censored} who posts on this board.

All I can say as to your question is that the term "metal" means different things to different people. To me, metal isn't about window dressing, it's about hard, fast music. From where I am standing, Ozzy has always been about window dressing. When I was growing up, in every picture I saw of him he had a plastic bat in his mouth and fake blood all over him. That, my friend, is what's known as a gimmick. If he had actual musical ability, he wouldn't have needed to pull the whole blood, gore and Satan routine in an effort to get attention.

To me, metal is about four or five guys in jeans and t-shirts letting fly with music that makes you want to bang your head. As soon as wardrobes and elaborate stage shows and other gimmicks are involved, they are posers in my book, because at that point the focus is more on posing for the camera than producing heavy music. Heavy music should speak for itself, when bands need to incorporate other aspects of "entertainment" into the mix, it's usually because their music isn't strong enough to stand on it's own two feet. If I were into singing, dancing and the like, I'd go watch a broadway musical. I'm into music, and my true love is heavy music.

Ill admit that a lot of that is true, but not so with Sabbath, which is the Ozzy I like.

• Members

I'm sure I'm wasting my breath hear and your right, everyone has their own opinion but it sounds like to me, your putting labels on things and basing your opinion on that.

Metal is not defined by what clothes your wear or who's the lead singer or even if you have a gimmick, especially a stage show. Trust me, in 1982 Ozzy was metal. As was Judas Priest as was Kiss...at one time. Pantera was about as metal as you got and they had a great stage show. Sure, things have changed...at one time heavy music was defined as metal now it's broken down into so many sub genre's it's ridiculous. I love heavy music as much as anyone but I don't mind being entertained visually as well.

As for Ozzy, he's got alot of people to thank for his career. Other than Iommi and Rhoads...Bob Daisley contributed alot to Ozzy's career and has gotten royal f***** for it in the process but it was Ozzy's name on the marquee, it was his voice. Regardless of how much he contributed musically he was still an important link in the chain. As for modern day Ozzy...have no use for him in much the same way as you feel. But things were different once.

As for Randy's tone...all I can say is that back in the day, when he first came out...and I'm showing my age here...noboby really cared about his tone. We were to floored by his playing to analyze his tone. Compared to how far things have come...tonewise in those day's I can see where people question Rhoads tone...still, I take it as a whole and realize it was what it was for it's time.

Like you said though, we all have our own opinions.

• Members
Originally posted by ChihliDog

I'm a Randy fanatic...the guy was a pure genius, and really it was his playing that got me to pick up a guitar...him and Zakk Wylde.

But..........as far as the tribute album, I used to think "WOW, holy CRAP that guy was SOOOO flawlessly fast!". Then I found out that the album was sped up about 10%, or something like that. I was bummed.

His playing, however, his composition, melodies, incorporation of classical theory into metal and all that was and is still amazing.

Sped up? Thats the first I've ever heard of that and I'm a huge Rhoads fan. In fact nothing on that album sounds sped up...sounds like any other boot I've heard of Randy.

• Members

This is just my opinion, but anyone in music who needs gimmicks to get noticed is a poser, and everything Ozzy has done in my lifetime has been a series of gimmicks. Don't get me wrong, I can respect the fact that he has made a career in the music business despite not having a single drop of actual musical talent. In fact, I'm quite jealous, I wish I had been smart enough to do the same.

I'm a purist, to me, music should be about , gasp, MUSIC, not some jackass spitting fake blood all over the place. That might impress the teeny boppers and the limp dick wanna be's, but I'm into people who can actually play. Ozzy has been smart enough to ride the coat tails of some VERY good guitar players, but he has never done anything that has remotely impressed me on any level.

I love early Sabbath, but not because of Ozzy, like most people, but in spite of him. He's just some guy yelling, any meathead can do that. Iommi created heavy metal and Ozzy just rode shotgun.

Congratulations! You have just set a new record for the most ridiculous post I've ever seen here!

I would put up an argument for Ozzy but I doubt you'd receive it well. You seem to be pretty set on this topic.

• Members

Originally posted by diddlybo

I would put up an argument for Ozzy but I doubt you'd receive it well. You seem to be pretty set on this topic.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so fire away if you feel like you need to get it off your chest.

I realize my opinions are strange to most people, I've never been one to fall in line with the crowd. Can't help the way I am, maybe it's a chemical imbalance?

Yes, I am set on the topic, because I really don't think that there is anything anyone can write that will change me view because my view isn't based on other people's opinions. If they were, they wouldn't really be mine, would they?

I call it like I see it, and a lot of people don't like that, but I'm not one to agree with the crowd for the sake of being liked. I wasn't trying to pee on anyone's parade, but I'm truly baffled by the logic (or more specifically, the lack thereof) that is used by people to support their argument. It's good for a laugh though.

As for me, I'm gonna go stumble around the office mumbling incoherently and putting my name on other people's work, apparently that will make me truly "metal".

Cheers!

• Members

Facts about tribute

Vocals were resang by ozzy 5yrs after the show
Two mistakes were covered up of Randys on Crazy Train
Most of the talk between songs was edited out including the intro to "Iron Man" which was about a minute longer

The solo spot was taken from the Montreal show from 7-28-81(another pro recorded show)

Goodbye to Romance and No Bone Movies were from a 1980 show with the original band that recorded the albums(Bob Daisly, Lee Kerslake / ozzy/randy) These were taken from the same pro recorded show that the Mr.Crowley EP's songs were on.

Randys tone was altered for the tribute album and sounds different than the original boot(the boot sounds better and much more raw sounding)

I have about 20 randy concerts on audio and 2 pro shot videos(after hours and a pro shot quiot riot show in 79) and probably 15 or so boot videos.

His tone was awesome live from everything i've heard. The albums it was decent to my ears, but life it was completley different.

Randy was supposed to record "Speak of the Devil" with ozzy, that 3rd album "Speak of the Devil" was required by contract and they had to put something out, Randy would have recorded that and his contract was up after that live album and would have left the band most likley(He said he wanted to leave once and ozzy punched him in the face in Jan 82)

:cry:

• Members
Originally posted by Junkhead

Facts about tribute

Vocals were resang by ozzy 5yrs after the show

Two mistakes were covered up of Randys on Crazy Train

Most of the talk between songs was edited out including the intro to "Iron Man" which was about a minute longer

The solo spot was taken from the Montreal show from 7-28-81(another pro recorded show)

Goodbye to Romance and No Bone Movies were from a 1980 show with the original band that recorded the albums(Bob Daisly, Lee Kerslake / ozzy/randy) These were taken from the same pro recorded show that the Mr.Crowley EP's songs were on.

Randys tone was altered for the tribute album and sounds different than the original boot(the boot sounds better and much more raw sounding)

I have about 20 randy concerts on audio and 2 pro shot videos(after hours and a pro shot quiot riot show in 79) and probably 15 or so boot videos.

His tone was awesome live from everything i've heard. The albums it was decent to my ears, but life it was completley different.

Randy was supposed to record "Speak of the Devil" with ozzy, that 3rd album "Speak of the Devil" was required by contract and they had to put something out, Randy would have recorded that and his contract was up after that live album and would have left the band most likley(He said he wanted to leave once and ozzy punched him in the face in Jan 82)

:cry:

Wow! I never knew any of that info.

His sound was MORE raw on the unalterd recordings!!??!!! That must be just sweet sounding:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by loudgtr

Wow! I never knew any of that info.

His sound was MORE raw on the unalterd recordings!!??!!! That must be just sweet sounding:cool:

You sound like a big randy fan...PM meh and I will give you links to a few shows including the unedited tribute album(original show!)

The 7-28-81 show(Heavy Metal Holocaust aka King Biscuit show) was the best IMO, thats also a link i can give you. I dont wanna post it publicly cause the guy has hosted many rare randy files over the years and his bandwith gets drained sometime!

• Members

i've got a Randy boot(audio only) around here, but i can't remember the show its from... the part i love most about it besides Randy's tone, is the band jam, it sounds like something Dream Theater would have done... especially with the synth solo on it... really killer solo sections on it... i'm not even sure where it is anymore though, maybe its out in my truck... its been so long since i've even seen it...

• Members

Originally posted by Elysian

i've got a Randy boot(audio only) around here, but i can't remember the show its from... the part i love most about it besides Randy's tone, is the band jam, it sounds like something Dream Theater would have done... especially with the synth solo on it... really killer solo sections on it... i'm not even sure where it is anymore though, maybe its out in my truck... its been so long since i've even seen it...

Ive got about 6 shows with that. It was the band jam after the Suicide Solution solo spot, it was segued into Goodbye to Romance.

It was started during the Diary Of a Madman tour on 12-30-81. Randy's tone took a dive for the worse in late 81 IMO, They could not bridge the inputs on his Marshall amps anymore because he was blowing transformers every show or two. This resulted in a pretty crappy tone pretty much during the diary tour.

His amps were covered by the stage so the sound was muffled to hell, The soundman changed or something in late 81, the guy added so much friggin delay to randy's solo's and ruined them(the delayed signal was louder than his signal usually and just horrible). Don Airey(the guy who recorded keyboards on blizzard and diary) joined the band finally at the start of the Diary tour, He mimic'd randy's sound all the time and would pretty much played what randy did which ruined the sound alot.

Archived