Wizard/ARD amps.

Torben

• Members

Hi Guys!

I'm the happy owner of a Wizard Vintage Classic 100W head and Wizard 4x12" cab.

I LOVE the amp to death, and still haven't played an amp that I would rather have than this one.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find much information about these amps (all models) in general and practicaly nothing about ARD amps which were also build by Rick. (Only have 2 small pics of Joe Perry in front of an ARD Head and 4x12" ARD cab, that's all.

So any info/pics/soundclips etc. of ANY Wizard amps (and especially ARD) would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards!

• Members

Originally posted by -=MYK=-

You must have $$$ coming out your ears, George...

Unfortunately no...if I did it would probably not be worth anything! LOL....

Ive had the marshalls and Orange forever...paid like 350.00 each for the Marshall's and 250.00 for the orange.

the Wizard's now they were some coin for sure... :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by Torben

Hi Guys!

I'm the happy owner of a Wizard Vintage Classic 100W head and Wizard 4x12" cab.

I LOVE the amp to death, and still haven't played an amp that I would rather have than this one.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find much information about these amps (all models) in general and practicaly nothing about ARD amps which were also build by Rick. (Only have 2 small pics of Joe Perry in front of an ARD Head and 4x12" ARD cab, that's all.

So any info/pics/soundclips etc. of ANY Wizard amps (and especially ARD) would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards!

I think the ARD amps were just one off custom orders. Basically the same thing but tweaked to individuals taste.

I've seen 1 ARD head on Ebay and 1 ARD cabinet that looked exactly like the vintage/modern classic series cabs.

Wizard is clearly in a class all its own.

Torben, didn't you buy your Wizard gear from a Mike in Canada?

• Members

Hi Guys!

Thanks.

Greazygeo: Is that Wizard MC amps???

Can see you have a THD attenuator on top, planning to buy one myself, as these amps are LOUD!!!!

Love the sound of my VC. Really wish I'll be able to raise money for more Wizard amps and cabs, as this is the best sounding amp I've ever played...

TheGame: Yep, bought my stack from Mike in Canada. REALLY nice and cool guy. And he did a great service shipping the amps and making shure that any questions I had were answered within short time. Unfortunately I'm not able to find his website or mail anymore:-(

Best Regards!

• Members

Westcoast Music in Vancouver (horrid overpriced snarky attituded owner store that it is) had 4 wizards on consignment in there about 2-3 years ago. I really didn't like them even though they were only 800 each. They had one sound that was great but no versatility and I actually preferred my old 2204. Should of bought them as an investment though.

• Members

Hi Guys!

Thanks.

Greazygeo: Is that Wizard MC amps???

Can see you have a THD attenuator on top, planning to buy one myself, as these amps are LOUD!!!!

Love the sound of my VC. Really wish I'll be able to raise money for more Wizard amps and cabs, as this is the best sounding amp I've ever played...

Hey Torben,

Yeah, one of them is a 100 watt Metal and the other is a 100 watt Modern Classic. The Modern Classic I just got about 6 months ago (had it built for me) . The Metal I had some mods done too by Rick and it is absolutely KILLER! I also have a Metal 4-12 cab that I got from Gary :)

I like the Hotplate with them for gigs, makes volumes manageable and sounds great.

Congrats on your amp!

• Members
Originally posted by jonny guitar

Westcoast Music in Vancouver (horrid overpriced snarky attituded owner store that it is) had 4 wizards on consignment in there about 2-3 years ago. I really didn't like them even though they were only 800 each. They had one sound that was great but no versatility and I actually preferred my old 2204. Should of bought them as an investment though.

Depends on which ones they were....I've heard the Rock Standards arent that good. Mine are pretty versatile (but I had a few "tweaks" done too) :)

• Members

anyone been to MGM studios in orlando? i could be wrong but i believe there are 2 wizard half stacks and a bogner half stack @ the aerosmith rockin rollercoaster in a display right before you get on the ride. i thought that was funny because most people wouldn't know the difference between a Crate and a Wizard. they also didn't look like fakes...:eek:

• Members

Great Info Guys, Thanks!

Anyone here able to put up some sound samples of their Wizards?

Unfortunately I'm not able to myself.

Also have a couple of questions about Wizard cabs.

As mentioned before I have a Wizard VC 100W head and Wizard 4x12" Cab.

The head is traight setup like a Marshall plexi (Spec.-wise) with 2 speaker outputs on the back of head and Ohm (4/8/16

• Members

Originally posted by The Toe Cutter

I have an old magazine that says the ARD was designed with input from Malcolm and Angus. Malcolm can up with the name, as in "It's 'ard mate." I'll see if I can find it.

I thought Malcolm was using the Wizard Warrior 200wt heads these days?

:eek:

• Members

Great Info Guys, Thanks!

Anyone here able to put up some sound samples of their Wizards?

Unfortunately I'm not able to myself.

Also have a couple of questions about Wizard cabs.

As mentioned before I have a Wizard VC 100W head and Wizard 4x12" Cab.

The head is traight setup like a Marshall plexi (Spec.-wise) with 2 speaker outputs on the back of head and Ohm (4/8/16

• Members

Thanks!

Great info.

Couldn't see or hear the Ozzy clip?:-(

The amp doesn't have a line out on the back, so If jumping it through a 3.input to another head would that require that i switch the Ohm from 16- 8 or 4 as well and would I just run the other (marshall Head) through the Marshall 4x12" cab as I would normally do?

Also, would it do any harm that the Wizard has the transformator between it (117V) -220V and that the Marshall is run 220V without the transformator?

Sorry for all these questions but I'm afraid to do anything wrong and in worse case blow up or mess up the Wizard head or cab.

Best Regards

Torben

• Members

Originally posted by Greazygeo

Alot of cabs have two jacks on them. Some guys like to run out of the head into cab1 and then use the other jack to jump to cab two (daisy chaining).

Your head has 4 inputs and in the old days guys would plug into one of the inputs ( or two of them jumpering both channels together). Then using one of the unused channel inputs to run to a 2nd amps input.

On the back panel of yours there is probably a line out? You can run that to a 2nd amp if you want. Or buy one of the AB boxes and be able to switch from one stack to another.

If you want to run two heads thru the same cab, you'll need one of the head switchers. Its usually best to only run one head into a cab at a time....

Here's a clip of my Metal i did a few weeks ago

Just heard the clip. DAMN that's great!!!!

great playing, and the sound is fantastic, thanks.

What do you use for boosting the solo sound?

And what other gear do you use (guitar/cabs effects etc.)?

Also, is the Metal modded in any way?

Thanks again!

• Members

Thanks!

Great info.

Couldn't see or hear the Ozzy clip?:-(

The amp doesn't have a line out on the back, so If jumping it through a 3.input to another head would that require that i switch the Ohm from 16- 8 or 4 as well and would I just run the other (marshall Head) through the Marshall 4x12" cab as I would normally do?

Also, would it do any harm that the Wizard has the transformator between it (117V) -220V and that the Marshall is run 220V without the transformator?

Sorry for all these questions but I'm afraid to do anything wrong and in worse case blow up or mess up the Wizard head or cab.

Best Regards

Torben

Yeah, just run each stack as you normally would. All you do is run one extra gtr cable from one of your unused Wizard jacks out to the marshall heads input...You won't have to do anything different with the impedence selector...using the transformer on your amp wont affect anything either....

• Members

Just heard the clip. DAMN that's great!!!!

great playing, and the sound is fantastic, thanks.

What do you use for boosting the solo sound?

And what other gear do you use (guitar/cabs effects etc.)?

Also, is the Metal modded in any way?

Thanks again!

Thanks, it was a fun track to play with....that was just straight amp and guitar into 4-12 w GB's. No pedals or anything else.

My amp was modded a bit by Rick at the factory. He added a tube effects loop with send and return levels, a pull out gain boost on the master volume control, made the low end more full sounding and put in a pull power boost on the bass control. It is a great amp!

My Modern has the extra gain added to it and the effects loop. I ordered it new and got it about 6 months ago. It's pretty close, but I am sending it back so he can tweak it a tiny bit...guess I am kinda picky eh?

The guitar was an Ibanez with a Tone Zone, my cab is a Wizard Metal 4-12 (has the V shaped baffle board)....for live I use some footpedals for certain things, heres a pic of it:

georgegear.jpg

• Members

Great stuff, thanks!

Wish I had the money to order or even my another used Wizard amp, pretty satisfied with what I have though.

How long did you actually wait from odereing to recieving the amp?

I'm also looking forward to see what kind of specs the Joe Perry sig. model will have, saw it will be anounced on their homepage, but it's been like that for a looooong time....

Thanks!

Archived