How did Shawn Lane get such thick, smooth tone on Powers of Ten?

Cougar Hunter

• Members

I remember back a few years ago when I was young and didn't know any better, I was hanging out in Memphis with a friend and we went to a guitar store and started chatting with a dude that worked there. He invited us to an invitation only clinic that was being held at the store after they closed. The clinic was being taught by some dude named Shawn Lane. I'd never heard of him at the time so we shrugged it off. I got home a couple of days later and did an internet search to find out some info on the guy and come to find out he's one of the better guitarists alive! Sucked to be me!

RcK411:mad:

• Members

Originally posted by RecklessYouth411

I remember back a few years ago when I was young and didn't know any better, I was hanging out in Memphis with a friend and we went to a guitar store and started chatting with a dude that worked there. He invited us to an invitation only clinic that was being held at the store after they closed. The clinic was being taught by some dude named Shawn Lane. I'd never heard of him at the time so we shrugged it off. I got home a couple of days later and did an internet search to find out some info on the guy and come to find out he's one of the better guitarists alive! Sucked to be me!

RcK411:mad:

That sucks even more now that he is no longer alive. RIP he was an amazing guitarist.

I'm not sure if he did the same thing on the Powers of Ten album but on one of his instructional videos he shows his rig and he's using a delay to send a slightly delayed signal to four different cabs so one is about 2ms out the next cab is something like 4ms etc... can't remember the exact times but he certainly had a thick tone.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarslinger

I grew up and finally gave this disc another chance. It's brilliant.

What gear did Shawn use on Powers of ten?

God rest his soul.
:(

http://gjika.com/order.htm

what ever Shaun was using at the time was built by this guy..or rather Bob Gjika...email them and ask..all Shauns stuff was custom..nothing you

could buy off the shelf...

• Members

Originally posted by guitarslinger

:eek:
:eek:

how much is that shit?????

THe mini amp is $750???

Ive spoken the guy who makes the mini amp..its a KILLER piece of gear..

if you have a plexi and have a hard time getting crunch tones out of it..

and you dont want to add a master to it..the mini amp will do it..

beautiful peice of gear..I almost bought one..the other stuff is big time bucks..( $10K and up I think )..email them and ask questions..its the real deal..the guy who made the amps also made the guitars...

• Members

If you look at the video,he's using Holmes Mississippi Bluesmaster solid state heads into matching 4X10 cabs with Celestions(most likely 35's).He also used Boss DD-2's,and his primary overdrive was an early 80's Westbury Tube Overdrive. Good luck finding any of this stuff,man-the Gjika amp was a fairly new addition to his rig at the time of "Powers of Ten",and used in the studio primarily.To me,the album sounds like the video.What a great player!

• 15 years later...
  • Members

Wow I know exactly what guitar clinic that guy is talking about in Memphis. It was around 2002-2003 era. The store in Memphis was Yarbrough's Music, my old guitar teacher Rick Forbis worked there and loved shawn lane. He was the first to tell me about him, he might have even been the guy that you talked to about it. I went to that clinic, I was like 16. It was, the most out of this world live experience I've ever seen in my life. Shawn played the most amazing music, from all over the world. Talked about pre-bach music, and third world countries he visited with unique styles of music in villages and whatnot. He brought a small 14 year old boy from one such village on stage, who performed his unique style of music from his homeland with Shawn. The boy only "scatted" with his mouth sounds and notes, but it was in a style all on its own. Shawn scatted with his voice along with the boy, while simultaneously playing each note on the guitar and/or piano. He was seated the whole time, lookin like he weighed 500 pounds with psoriasis discoloration all over his legs, his entire body looked like it could engulf the guitar at and time. Looked like a stratocaster type of guitar, might have been the vigier's he used though. And the piano was right in front of him so he would use one hand on the guitar neck and play the piano with the other and scat in the mic, simultaneously hitting all the same notes with all three. No one would believe that unless they had seen it but it's true. No one has ever existed like Shawn Lane.