Komplete 6 or Virus Snow?

Palaver

• Members

Hey guys,

I'm familiar with the Virus TI line, and have demoed them, but how do the Massive/Absynth/Reaktor/Battery packages stack up against the Virus? Do they cover the same ground? I realize they will be quite different... but if you have one, is there a need for another (in the studio environment)?

I know I lose the utility of a hardware box (altho the Snow is lacking quite a few controls).., I work mostly within the DAW environment anyway.

Is there a desperate need to have both? Is there something majorly lacking if one choses to go with one and not the other?

Maybe this will help you out:

I do all of my writing in Ableton Live Suite 8. I love it, and it is quite good at what it does. I love the synths, and it's got a big palette to choose from. However, it is lacking in some departments, and my PC3x fills in the piano/orchestral/some VA stuff.

However, I would really like the flavour of an extremely versatile VA/unique synth set to complete the palette - and really compliment the PC3x.

I was thinking about going for a Virus Polar/PC3x/Ableton combo, but the Virus keyboards are just so damn expensive. I love them so much, but I've been leaning towards the APC40 (for Ableton), and just running some software (to replace the Virus).

I'd much rather take that coin, and get some pricey analog outboard EQs/Pres/Compressors.

Comments, or suggestions?

-PB

• Members

honestly, as a virus owner, if I had to replace my virus, i'd just use imposcar and use korgs MDEX effects plugin. it's no where near as versatile as a a virus, but the sound is just as big. however, if you lean towards the smooth and silky side of the virus, rob papens predator or albino are worth looking into.

• Members

honestly, as a virus owner, if I had to replace my virus, i'd just use imposcar and use korgs MDEX effects plugin. it's no where near as versatile as a a virus, but the sound is just as big. however, if you lean towards the smooth and silky side of the virus, rob papens predator or albino are worth looking into.

I've played with Predator before, and I enjoyed it a lot. If I understand correctly, didn't Rob do quite a few sound banks for Access (or at least some sort of sound design with the company)? I just love the Virus. It's a beautiful board, and it really does a whole lot of things damn well. That's what I'm into. If I can't reach it, or fit it into my mini-studio, then it won't be of any use to me.

Thanks for the reply.

• Members

To compliment the PC3X, how about a Spectralis 2? Novamusik has open boxes for 1,999.

VCO + VFO (LP 12/24, HP, BP) + VCA + groovebox + samples (inc. user) + DSP =
:love:
(God I'm sounding like a geek!!!
:lol:
)

Not familiar with the Spectralis... but I certainly am intrigued. The huge push for the Virus (for me) is the Virus Control... and it appears they finally have it working pretty well with 3.1. I'm Canadian, so I have to be careful on the importants. I'll see if any vendors have access to the Spectralis.

• Members

hey!

I use Live 8 with Komplete 5 and just bought a Ti desktop last week!

ahhh... tough choice! my advice....get both!:cool:

things to consider

- with K6, you're also getting a kick-arse sampler, drum library, cool FX etc. I use Battery & guitar rig a lot!!! and there really is nothing else like Reaktor....that thing is insane!

- The K5/6 synths & Virus do overlap sonically and from my limited experience with both, I'm hard-pressed to say one is better than the other! Both sound awesome (NB: I'm using the Virus USB audio, not the internal D/A - I should really compare them sometime :))

so, in terms of bang-for-buck ...K6 would probably win....BUT!!!!.......

- The down-side of K5/6, is that you need serious horsepower. the synths are pretty CPU hungry (esp massive), just a few instances of massive brings my slighter older PC to it's knees. This is the beauty of the Ti, of course....lots of polyphony, no CPU drain.

If you're leaning towards the virus, and can get the extra $$ together, I'd suggest the desktop Ti, the extra polyphony and Knobbage is worth it IMO.

: peace :

em

• Members

Another question:

I'm assuming that with the 60GB of content (Komplete 6)... when I'm doing the install, I can put the library content on my external hard drive? I couldn't find any info about this on the NI site, and I'd love to know. I'd rather not be running samples/DAW off of the same drive.

Cheers,

PB

• Members

To compliment the PC3X, how about a Spectralis 2? Novamusik has open boxes for 1,999.

VCO + VCF (LP 12/24, HP, BP) + VCA + groovebox + samples (inc. user) + DSP =
:love:
(God I'm sounding like a geek!!!
:lol:
)

You pretty much described my ideal set up. Not even milk would be able to stop me.

...And yes, you do sound like a geek.:)

• Members

Another question:

I'm assuming that with the 60GB of content (Komplete 6)... when I'm doing the install, I can put the library content on my external hard drive? I couldn't find any info about this on the NI site, and I'd love to know. I'd rather not be running samples/DAW off of the same drive.

Cheers,

PB

Yes, you can do that. I think there's one or two programs that you have to 'point to' the library the first time you use it. But it will find it after that.

About K5/6 vs. Snow.

K5/6 is definitely going to be more flexible with a greater range of things you have available to work with, if you don't have a problem with software.

But the Snow is hardware that can be used on its own (with a controller).

It's the typical example of the old hardware/software argument.

• Members

I was watching the Spectralis videos last night. It's definitely a neat instrument. However, they do not have any Canadian distribution. If I were to order it from the States, I'd get clobbered on import duties, which is a bit of a stinker.

• Members

Komplete 6 + Kore 2 if you are already equipped with a good DAW (program + computer).

Doo-dads with knobs and stuff always reel me in too, though. I would say that if I were ever to get a Virus it would be a bigger TI2 desktop style.

Archived